Best small pressure cooker ?

Wansworth

Visit site
Unfortunately the aluminium-altzheimers link was a pieces of poor analysis where researchers failed to be joined up. Lab technicians used aluminium as a catalyst in sample analysis of altzheimers affected brains and analysts further down the chain found a correlation between altzheimers and the aluminium. The correlation was widely reported in the press. The subsequent realisation or the error was not. Hence popular perception that aluminium is a cause of altzheimers .

There are some meds for stomach burning/indigestion that have aluminium in and they are not advised.The new fad of coffee machines apparently make sure you get agood dose of ally from those little capsules.These days there is no need for using ally for cooking so its not nessary to take the risk

srm

Visit site
Found a nice small stainless steel one with compact handles in a market in Turkey - can't give a brand as have lost the box. Price converted to about £12.

Tricia

Visit site
Have a look at "Lagostina" pressure cookers, or any other casseroles, pans etc

Some of those I have are >20year old (among which 3 pressure cookers, bought in increasing sizes as the family grew), no sign of wear :)

Now that I think of it, my mother bought her first Lagostina pressure cooker when I wasn't even a teenager, so say they have at least 30-40 years of useful life

oh, and they are beautiful objects too

414%2BCit4mxL._SS500_.jpg

This looks very similar to my Barazzoni 5lt pressure cooker. Works great, but I find the lid very hard to clean due to all the nooks and crannies which trap dirt and greasy steam. I also find the lip on the body of the cooker a real pain when draining stuff even when pouring into a colander. It also traps food.

The way the lid fits inside the body of the cooker makes bottling veg and meat awkward, as I have to use smaller size jars. I prefer the twisting lid lock style such as the Kuhn Rikon or Tefal have.

I use my pressure cooker a lot, even for hard boiling eggs, so they have to last well. I had my Kuhn Rikon for about 8 years before the bottom delaminated, the Brazzoni is now 7 years old and still going strong - thanks aunty for the great prezzie!

JeanPerkins

Visit site
Oh well that are cool pressure cookers out there.
Right now I am looking for one. But i think i'll be needing a Pressure Cooker that is a larger..
Thanks for the posts!

charles_reed

Visit site
I think oldvarnish was more interested in the hint at aluminium being a health hazzard.
Apart from the fact that alumina based plaque has been found in the PM studies of Alzheimer's patients' brains, there has been no research implicated in any health hazard.

Strange - I gathered he was interested in which makes the better boat-based pressure cooker.
I bought one in Aldi, £26 for a 3.5litre one is extremely good value for money. But having long handles it stows badly on a boat.
The Tefal (which is 5 litres) still serves well, 4 years after the original request - used weekly, usually for spinach!!

The largest pressure cooker of with I know is the 23 quart Presto, made in the US. It needs a strong man (though aluminium) to lift empty and probably lifting gear to move when full. (Just 22.75 litres).
Presto, Tefal and the now discontinued Prestige range have an external fixing ring. The first (aluminium) Prestige I had on one of my early boats was then 20 years old and that was 28 years ago. That had an eccentric lid opening and a cantilever fixing strut - that collapsed from perforation due to galvanic corrosion of the handle-fixing holes.

Last edited:

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
KUHN RIKON PRESSURE COOKER
is available from Lakeland Plastics
www.lakeland.co.uk

It is a super Pressure Cooker and also a useful
sized cooking pot - I bought mine in 2006 and it is
the most efficient pressure cooker I have ever used.
Great for casseroles, soups - it halves cooking times.

I just checked the latest Lakeland catalogue (Autumn 2012)
and it is still there - priced at £99.00. 5 lt. size.

Why Not

£99 Some people on here live for 6 month on that amount!

Jock89

Visit site
So should I go for aluminium or composite stainless?
Does anyone have a recommendation?[/QUOTE]

+1 for Tefal Clipso. (St/Steel)
£55 10 years ago.
Brilliant piece of kit.

Used to have an Aluminium 8litre Tefal on the boat that was hauled through Africa in the Land Rover from 1971 onwards, still in 1st class condition. Just the right size for a couple of good sized crayfish, but after reading something about aluminium deposits leeching into ones food I gave it away to another yachtsman here who didn't have one.

clyst

Visit site
Ok so we've discussed the merits of various pressure cookers but what do you cook in them ? We have a PC but only use it for cooking veg .......surely as liveaboards there must be more exciting usage for it since it takes up a fair bit of stowage . So to justify its use onboard let's have your usages ! :)

Yngmar

Visit site
I don't have a pressure cooker yet (I'd have to get rid of something to make room for one, and I find the microwave steamer actually more useful - doubles as big bowl for mixing bread dough). But if I did have one, I'd probably cook Hungarian goulash a lot. Maybe stew, but that cooks just fine in a regular pot too.

NornaBiron

www.flickr.com
Ok so we've discussed the merits of various pressure cookers but what do you cook in them ? We have a PC but only use it for cooking veg .......surely as liveaboards there must be more exciting usage for it since it takes up a fair bit of stowage . So to justify its use onboard let's have your usages ! :)

Using a pressure cooker on board means less gas used, less moisture and heat in the boat and much quicker meals.

I use mine for spag bol, chilli, beans and pulses, stews etc, all cooked in about a third of the expected time. I've also used the pot as a stove top oven to producd bread and cakes with less cabin heat in the summer.

GHA

Visit site
Great offshore, saves lots of water and gas, rice heat until the pressure gets up then turn off and come back in a little while. Solo offshore mine is often continuously strapped down to the cooker with a big stew slowly morphing each day as some more bits get added. Also handy for canning that big tuna you just caught into kilner jars.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Rarely use the thing during the summer unless it's as a big pan when feeding the multitudes. Winter, we make stews etc instead of in a normal pan, much quicker results especially for red meat stews (you can use cheapo cuts of meat as the higher cooking temps tenderise things better). Also, preserving meats and veggies in jars. We reuse frankfurter jars which fit two person portions nicely and they're free (providing you like frankfurters in the first place...). As for recipies, we just use normal ones plus perhaps 250 - 300 mls extra water.

Heckler

Visit site
Chop an onion up, a clove of garlic and some chopped celery, equal to about a half onion in size, sweat it a bit in some butter, add a litre of water and a chicken stock cube plus a veggie oxo and a handful of lentils. Chop up a couple of spuds with the skin on, chuck them in. A pinch of herbs goes well with me. Simmer for half an hour, you should end up with a thick soup. Season with salt and pepper. You can do it with chicken chunks or chopped bacon as well. Adjust the amount of water to suit, add stock cubes as you increase the liquid.
Stu