best place to buy a used outboard?

16ft phil

Visit site
ok so im looking for an outboard - 70/80 hp

as this is my first boat and im not all that clued up on marine the first place try is ebay, a few on there nohing ideal.
ive also been on boatsandoutboards website theres a few on there too
im also off to the kent boat jumble this weekend (hoping to find the perfect engine there:rolleyes:)

i was just wondering where else there is, any places to recomend? im in kent but dont mind traveling,

as some of you know im also a mechanic so i wouldnt mind an engine that needs a tad of work. also idealy after power trim and tilt.

any help much apreciated
regards phil.:)

boatmaster

Visit site

as this is my first boat and im not all that clued up on marine the first place try is ebay, a few on there nohing ideal.
im also off to the kent boat jumble this weekend (hoping to find the perfect engine there:rolleyes:)

i was just wondering where else there is, any places to recomend? im in kent but dont mind traveling,

as some of you know im also a mechanic so i wouldnt mind an engine that needs a tad of work. also idealy after power trim and tilt.

any help much apreciated

Try Portguide marine at Wateringbury (maidstone area)
http://www.portguide.co.uk

Very helpful guy, Steve Marriott, knows his stuff and good back up service.

gjgm

Visit site

any help much apreciated
No expert, but a dealer told me alot of their work is ebay outboards...Might be one of those cases a bit of warranty is worth a bit of premium.
Actually, the dealer price was lower than ebay, now I think about it, so try some bargaining.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
A dealer will usually give some sort of warranty so it may be best to go that route. Not sure where you are but I've used Seamark Nunn near Felixstowe twice in the past for (small) outboards and they have always worked fine.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Avoid ebay. Big outboards come with big repair bills. I know you can do the work but the bits are not cheap.
Bill Higham is a great dealer who knows his used outboards inside out.
Not your neck of the woods, but it's a big purchase.
The other alternative is to buy a boat with a good motor installed take the motor off and sell the boat. This may be a better ebay alternative as most sports boats of an "certain age" are just taking up space in someone's garden. A motor for sale on it's own rings alarm bells to me.

16ft phil

Visit site
Avoid ebay. Big outboards come with big repair bills. I know you can do the work but the bits are not cheap.
Bill Higham is a great dealer who knows his used outboards inside out.
Not your neck of the woods, but it's a big purchase.
The other alternative is to buy a boat with a good motor installed take the motor off and sell the boat. This may be a better ebay alternative as most sports boats of an "certain age" are just taking up space in someone's garden. A motor for sale on it's own rings alarm bells to me.

yes, ive got his website saved to my favorites, he's got a good selection of, lovely motors at good prices too! i think this is where im going to get one from actually. they all come with tank, lines, remotes and !!WARRANTY!!
I dont mind the traveling when i know its going to be a worthwhile trip.

i have also looked at buying a boat with engine as you say. But at the moment i cant afford the initial outlay.

cheers for all your help.

Lakesailor

Visit site
You'll not regret it. I bought a Yamaha from him and it lacked a clip on the engine cover. So he made one.

Great bloke. His son has taken over a lot of the sales, but a visit is worthwhile because it is an Alladins Cave. Not like a slick modern chandlery at all.