best luxury DSC

isandell

Visit site
Having looked at most if not all DSc radios available, I am quite like the ICOM 601 but I do wonder whether it really is worth over two or three times the cost of a Raymarine 54e (or similar). Any arguments either way?

Ian

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
seconded for the navman 7200.

I spent a few hours at the boat show looking for a vhf, at the time the 7100 was the offering from navman, a good set but I did not like the channel up down selection as is apparent on many budget sets. I waited months for the promised 7200.

The 7200 fulfilled my criteria. Chunky controls including seperate rotary vol squelch and ch selectors, with separate select buttons for regular features, many even more expensive sets require a fair amount of menu selecting to find some options. The screen on the 7200 is clear, sometimes a little busy but you can choose what you see. There is a full numeric keypad for selecting channels or entering mmsi numbers.

With the virtual control from the handset, I can stand in my companion way and control the radio, obviously the radio must be positioned by the hatch to enable this. The dual watch is unobtrusive, i.e. when listening to the forecast the occasional flick back to 16 is extremely fast with no click type noise thus you do not miss vital pieces of information.

Definitely worth a look, IMHO

JonBrooks

www.yaesu.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Having looked at most if not all DSc radios available, I am quite like the ICOM 601 but I do wonder whether it really is worth over two or three times the cost of a Raymarine 54e (or similar). Any arguments either way?

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

Has built in Hailer and fog horn.
Ray 54 does not.
If you had to buy this function on its own would be far more than the price diff.

Hope that helps

alex_rogers

Visit site
I bought the ICOM 501 and DSC-100 several years ago. I have been very impressed with ICOM. The build quality is fantastic and they are simple and intuitive to use. If I were in the market again, I'd certainly go for the ICOM 601. That said there are lots of features that you might not ever use.

An alternative is the ICOM 421, which seems more of a direct competitor to the Raymarine 54e. I've never used a Raymarine radio but have been quite disappointed with the cheap construction of my Raymarine tiller pilot.

Marsupial

Visit site
Agree with the cheap construction of some raymarine kit,

I chose the simrad RS 86 and 87 superb quality, simple to use, hailer, fog horn, intercom and music all round the boat. DSC functions on all stations - not on the raymarine (at the time) not sure it is now. But it feels like "industrial" quality - time will tell . . . .

bigmart

Visit site
Have a look at the Standard Fixed mount set. It has all the functions of the Icom but the command mike offers full functionality(the Icom Doesn't) & it can be got for nearly £200 cheaper than the Icom. I'd say the quality is as good as the Icom too. MES sell it & I got mine from Cactus.

Martin

isandell

Visit site
I cant see much use for a hailer. The foghorn might be useful but it's a lot to pay. Remember, you still have to buy a waterproof speaker/horn so I guess you are talking about £300 or more for the fog horn.

Prolly better to put that towards a radar for fog.

Ian

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Rule 33
Equipment for Sound Signals

(b) A vessel of less than 12 metres in length shall not be obliged to carry the sound signalling appliances prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule but if she does not, she shall be provided with some other means of making an efficient sound signal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having a fog horn built in would be quite handy IMO.

JonBrooks

www.yaesu.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
I cant see much use for a hailer. The foghorn might be useful but it's a lot to pay. Remember, you still have to buy a waterproof speaker/horn so I guess you are talking about £300 or more for the fog horn.

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

Waterproof horns from £20 upwards!

JonBrooks

www.yaesu.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

£20 upwards for a waterproof horn

isandell

Visit site
I thought a suitable waterproof speaker would be more than £20. Can you point me to a source pl?

One disadvantage of the 601 seems to be that it doesn't have DSC on the second station. If the second station is outside, a man-overboard, fo example, means that someone - possible the only remaining crew, has to go below to send the mayday.

Ian

JonBrooks

www.yaesu.co.uk
SMG sell the cheap horn throught their dealers.
Call them on 01752 241000
They can tell who they have local to you.

Not played with the second station on the Standard as yet.
Maybe Bigmart can answer these as I know he has one.

Can you do all the DSC functions from the remote?
Does it display the Lat/Long?

If not then you are better activating from below.
Whilst if in a real drama not a problem but always better to send the type and nature of your problem.

Just my thoughts

Regards