Best Fun With Your Mouth

Lakesailor

Visit site
I've just been out on the lake and decided to sample the public jetties as the museum jetties are no longer available to mooring holders (it's shut for rebuilding) Having succesfully moored at the jetties in Bowness Bay (near the fuel pontoon) and helped a raggie leave the jetty in a Bennie that was threatening to blow onto a big flybridge cruiser, I went up the lake to Millerground (properly know as Rayrigg Meadows) jetties.
They are built on piles and quite high above the water. As I approached some kids in a canoe who were playing about (it is a designated swimming area) decided to pass under the jetty from one side to the other and straight into my path. Their parents sat on the beach oblivious to an approaching, very smart, day launch.

At last, an oportunity to try my signal horn in earnest! I plucked it from it's spot near the helm and took a deep breath.

8725.jpg

Well! If I'd been at Jericho the walls would have crumbled to dust. On a still calm evening the air was rent with a huge noise. The parents jumped out of their skins. A guy on a yacht on the other jetty nearly dropped his tinnie (it was that serious) and one of the kids fell into the water.
The nose of the offending canoe slid back under the jetty and out of sight as my boat (no name) slid into the space.

Best fun for days /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tonyg

Visit site
Yeah! That sounds good, and ref kids and boats, got this report from a friend who was taking his family sailing, including two year-old child.
"All went well, and young Davie was as well behaved as usual except when I dropped him and he was nearly drowned. What a cry-baby! Apart from that he was quite good."

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I agree. The best part of mooring at Caernarfon is blowing morse "B" at full blast on my traditional brass signal horn to get the bridge to open . It reverbrates off the castle walls & makes the trippers fall off their deckchairs. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. The best part of mooring at Caernarfon is blowing morse "B" at full blast on my traditional brass signal horn to get the bridge to open . It reverbrates off the castle walls & makes the trippers fall off their deckchairs. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Are you always towed in then?

Lakesailor

Visit site
Blinding idea. I saw a very svelte young lady with enormously long legs in shorts this morning.
Must remember to carry my Mouth-Operated Signal Horn with me at all times.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Lucky bugger....

I blew my fog horn (one of the mouth operated ones with a small reed in it) a couple of weeks ago, and SWMBO fell about laughing, claiming it sounded like a duck call..... I was so indignant that I blew it again harder.... and an effin duck came over.....

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have yet to have that pleasure of blowing my horn (Fnarr fnarr), mainly because I don't know what the crack is once you are through the bridge. All we want to do is tie up, have a meal and then head back to Dinorwic, but CH Trust is so illogical, I would expect to get a parking ticket for tying up against their car park.

Lakey, shirley it should have been five blasts?

Lakesailor

Visit site
I was waiting for this.

Windermere Byelaws
"6.13 If necessary to attract attention in the interests of safety, one prolonged blast shall be sounded by a power-driven vessel when starting from any pier or landing stage."

Anyway One blast buggers you. but 5 blasts?

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Are you always towed in then?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's the official signal to open the bridge, check your Reeds P512.

[3889]

Visit site
Never been charged for lunch time stops. You can even officially stay in Victoria Dock for a couple of hours gratis, it's on their list of charges. I do prefer the Seiont though. The bridge operator has nothing to do with Harbour Dues but even overnight its only about £6. Top spot.

StugeronSteve

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I blew my fog horn (one of the mouth operated ones with a small reed in it) a couple of weeks ago, and SWMBO fell about laughing, claiming it sounded like a duck call.....

[/ QUOTE ] You're lucky, when I blow mine everybody reckons it sounds like a moose's mating call - a very miserable moose, with little hope of success!

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Never been charged for lunch time stops. You can even officially stay in Victoria Dock for a couple of hours gratis, it's on their list of charges. I do prefer the Seiont though. The bridge operator has nothing to do with Harbour Dues but even overnight its only about £6. Top spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give it a go.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
[ QUOTE ]
(cut)

I'll give it a go.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll enjoy it, theyre a right friendly lot. I was so impressed I moved my home port from Conway!
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

akirk

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You're lucky, when I blow mine everybody reckons it sounds like a moose's mating call - a very miserable moose, with little hope of success!

[/ QUOTE ]

not surprising - how often do you see a Moose relaxing out on the ocean waves? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif