Best boat kettle?

prv

Visit site
Ariam's current kettle is a cheap and nasty really flimsy affair, bought as a distress purchase from a camping shop after the handle fell off the old one. Before this too gives up the ghost, it's about time I bought a replacement and I'm inclined to splash out on a really good one. Does anyone have any particular recommendations?

Requirements:

Good sturdy quality that will last many years of use.
Whistle
Good heat transfer from the gas cooker
Low overall height might be of interest - the one benefit of the cheapo one is that it can slide out of the way to the back of the worktop under the upper lockers. But I suspect this won't be compatible with the other requirements.

(Any mention of electric kettles will be given a thorough ignoring :) )

Cheers,

Pete

johnalison

Visit site
Ours is a basic stainless thing from a chandlers. It boils in half the time of the old one with a spiral round the base.

pvb

Visit site
I searched high and low for a well-made, whistling kettle with a neat flap on the spout. I had a nice one on my old HR352, but the buyers wanted it including in the purchase, so I let it go.

The new one is a Morphy Richards Accents stove-top kettle, made of stainless steel. It has a meaty base, a rubber-insulated handle, and a rubber-insulated flip-top spout. Available in various colours - see http://www.morphyrichards.co.uk/products/Cookware/stove-top-kettles/

The Morphy Richards site says they're £50, but I bought mine on the internet for about £25.

kettle_zpsnnh5ljzk.jpg

adwuk

Visit site
We bought the wide base galley kettle from force4. Seems to boil quickly and, because of the shape, locks into the cooker fiddles really well.

MoodySabre

Visit site
I searched high and low for a well-made, whistling kettle with a neat flap on the spout. I had a nice one on my old HR352, but the buyers wanted it including in the purchase, so I let it go.

The new one is a Morphy Richards Accents stove-top kettle, made of stainless steel. It has a meaty base, a rubber-insulated handle, and a rubber-insulated flip-top spout. Available in various colours - see http://www.morphyrichards.co.uk/products/Cookware/stove-top-kettles/

The Morphy Richards site says they're £50, but I bought mine on the internet for about £25.

kettle_zpsnnh5ljzk.jpg

I've got one of those. Nice quality but quite big and tall which is not what the OP wanted. Something to put on the Christmas pressie list.

DannyB

Visit site

kettle_zpsnnh5ljzk.jpg

That looks identical to the one I just bought from Aldi, I think it was £12

Lucky Duck

Visit site
We bought the wide base galley kettle from force4. Seems to boil quickly and, because of the shape, locks into the cooker fiddles really well.

I have one of those which I bought on the basis of its ability to stay put on the cooker if it gets a bit lively (the previous one went flying a couple of years back while going upwind in a blow), the only issue is that the whistle doesn't seem to work unless the kettle is about half full.

It is available from a number of different chandlers at various prices so it pays to choose wisely!

VicS

Visit site
Ariam's current kettle is a cheap and nasty really flimsy affair, bought as a distress purchase from a camping shop after the handle fell off the old one. Before this too gives up the ghost, it's about time I bought a replacement and I'm inclined to splash out on a really good one. Does anyone have any particular recommendations?

Requirements:

Good sturdy quality that will last many years of use.
Whistle
Good heat transfer from the gas cooker
Low overall height might be of interest - the one benefit of the cheapo one is that it can slide out of the way to the back of the worktop under the upper lockers. But I suspect this won't be compatible with the other requirements.

(Any mention of electric kettles will be given a thorough ignoring :) )

Cheers,

Pete

Just bought this one for use at home from local hardware store.

Kitchencraft 2.3l

whistle that will wake the dead

10 year guarantee ....... so its going to outlast me :(

£39.95

Only snag is the handle gets hot!

DSCF1530.jpg

PhillM

Visit site
I've got one of these Vango ones. For a change, Force4 were much cheaper than Towsure.

http://www.force4.co.uk/vango-stainless-steel-kettle-with-folding-handle.html#.VdyQbvlViko

The handle only gets hot if it folds over when in use (very occasionally) and it stays put on the Origo stove. Its quite nice that its the same size as the pan I use most often so I don't have to adjust the pan clamps.

I do fancy something like this:

http://www.simplex-kettles.com/onli...-high-gloss-finish-solid-copper-kettle-detail

but I'm not going to pay that sort of money.

Uricanejack

Visit site
Cheepo with a whistle, boils water just fine.
I also have a small back packing stainless job, small and spout spills no whistle.
both make good tea.

Just to drift the thread. I am looking for a good coffee pot. right now we have a cheep camping percolator. was thinking of getting a stainless one. perhaps we should go with a bodum

johnalison

Visit site
A basic cafetierre is the simplest way of making coffee and probably the easiest to clean. We have broken the odd glass, but never on passage.