Best ~38 sailboat

RJJ

Visit site
It certainly looks nice in the pictures but I think that 1,500 hours on a 2017 boat would, rightly or wrongly, put me off, too.

By comparison, mine is 2013 and has 295 hours on the clock.

There are a lot of boats competing for this market sweet spot but I don’t think that you would regret buying this model. Others may have a different, equally valid, opinion.
Isn't the duty rumour that marine diesels suffer more from under- than over-use?

1,500 hours - if well maintained i.e. regular oil changes - is nothing. And it also suggests it's been doing plenty of runs at temperature and under load.

doug748

Visit site
Crikey! 18 posts in and the old guard haven’t been in to tell OP he needs a 50 year old long keel narrowboat. Their “boat choice” thread alert system must be in need of a service.

Strange, the second troll of this type on threads that have been proceeding quietly. Looks very like moaning about people derailing a thread before they have actually done it.

I agree with the others, the engine will be fine, look on the bright side the sails will probably be unused. -)

fredrussell

Visit site
Strange, the second troll of this type on threads that have been proceeding quietly. Looks very like moaning about people derailing a thread before they have actually done it.

I agree with the others, the engine will be fine, look on the bright side the sails will probably be unused. -)

Lighten up Doug, was just a lighthearted bit of comment on the fact that so many of these type of threads descend into the standard argument between fans of the old and fans of the new. And as someone else said, the OP has made it very clear which sort of boat he’s after so no danger here of argument.

Sailfree

Visit site
My Yanmar 75HP engine has 3700hrs on a 2005 boat. Its going fine. When it hesitates to start suggesting compression loss I will get it overhauled.

It has had regular oil changes at the end of each season.

Personally for both cars and boats I believe regular use is better than not used but accept ideal is regular little use!

Zagato

Visit site
I was looking at the usual Beneteau Oceanic etc. until I saw the Regina - very impressive boats. The design of the 43' is very nice - Regina 43

Oh yes, superb... and Swedish! Looks like a yacht to me which is nice... purposeful and elegant. They look a cut above the usual plasticy caravans so will probably have a price tag to match. Not much on them when you google apart from a few videos and sold sales adverts.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Oh yes, superb... and Swedish! Looks like a yacht to me which is nice... purposeful and elegant. They look a cut above the usual plasticy caravans so will probably have a price tag to match. Not much on them when you google apart from a few videos and sold sales adverts.

Very nice I am sure, but perhaps not particularly suited to the OP's requirements.

Airscrew

Visit site
If 'comfort' is a main consideration, then I would first think about the major items and layout.

The Ben38 seems to have option of only 1 heads. Would you need 2 heads ideally in 38'.

3 cabins, or 2, as with the larger aft cabin layout on the Ben38.

If you need only 2 cabins and 1 head, then why not a 36'?

If you're doing food socially (ie 4 up), then there is a major practical difference between an inline galley and the more regular but smaller U shape galley.

For 'comfort', considered a raised saloon - table at window height.

And for super comfort - assuming 2 cabins is OK - maybe a full aft cabin?

Perhaps have a look at slightly older Wauquiez.
A little larger, a little older, but similar money.
BUT.
Better (percieved) quality than any similar Ben.
2 cabins, one large aft, 2 heads.
For many people, this will have a wow factor that the Ben will not have.

2006 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 41 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale

Last edited:

ashtead

Visit site
I guess a consideration might be how much fridge and freezer space is required -try to find as much of that plus tankage as possible maybe ? I guess it would be good to pick up second hand one with a genset and water maker even ?

Bobc

Visit site
In all seriousness, were I in your shoes, these would be my thoughts.

I would want something fairly new (so not needing lots of maintenance or upgrades).
For the med, a big aft cockpit with a nice swim platform is the best configuration.
A proper shower compartment would also be a must, as you want to be able to shower off after a day on the beach or swimming.
I would want something that goes well in light winds (so not a big heavy barge), and something that can average 6-7kts on passage whilst actually being fun to sail for when you want to play.

I would seriously look at a Bavaria 37. I would think that you should be able to get a boat that only a couple of years old for the money you have, or you might even be able to get a new one (Clipper have a new one in Palma for 170k Euros (which is about £153k), which I'm sure you could negotiate a bit more off.

Also, Clipper Marine have a brokerage in Palma, so that would be a good place to find one that is EU Vat-paid, and which will already have the right spec and kit for the med (such as a bimini, fly screens, etc.

Bobc

Visit site
How does the Bavaria 37 stack up against The Oceanis 38.1, anyone been or sailed on both?
They look very similar to me. The only thing that doesn't look similar is the price tag. The Bene looks to be about £50k more.

Not sailed the Bene, but have sailed a Bav 37 a few times and I would buy one.

Garold

Visit site
We have a 2015 Beneteau Oceanis 38 which was launched early 2016 (after London Boat Show). Two sleeping cabin with separate larger shower, and huge cockpit locker with fitted generator and extra freezer.

Soon after launch and fitted extras (canopy, generator, extra batterie, inverter etc etc) we left the UK and sailed towards the Med. We are currently in a boatyard in Greece but took a detour up to Venice through Croatia in 2019. I can’t remember the engine hours because we haven’t been on board since last October (we just didn’t bother to launch this season) but probably about 1300. We have motored a lot but also sailed sometimes (not always possible in the Med) so probably about 8000-9000 miles so far.

We‘ve had very few significant problems with the actual boat and only a few with equipment fitted but not manufactured by Beneteau. We have everything serviced, maintained and cleaned each winter. All the original kit and mechanicals seem to still work though we swopped out the oven for a better one in Palma.

This boat was made for Med cruising. The cockpit is amazing for summertime living and the swim platform is very suitable for bathing for all ages. The boat is very easy to manoeuvre in reverse for Med moorings. There are probably 38 foot boats that are larger inside and a UK based user may make a different choice, but for the Med there are different requirement. Only a few seasons in the Med would make these clear.

We chose a 38 because it’s still possible to physically push it off a quay, jetty or other boat without risking injury. It also fits everywhere including even in most busy Med marinas. Our yacht has easy sailing options such As roller reefing jib, in mast main, bowthruster, self tacking jib. The winches are manual for simplicity, and up to the OC38 manual winching is fine for my wife and me.

We have the shallow keel version which is handy in some anchorages and shallow harbours, but probably not as ideal when we sailed in the Atlantic rollers off Portugal.

Build quality is not as good as the 50 year old wooden motorboat that we started with 30 years ago, but there are some advantages with the OC38. Most of the kit is from common manufacturers so easy to fix or replace, most boatyards know their way around a Beneteau, they have a market value when you want to sell or buy, Beneteau deliver vfm through their manufacturing processes, the Design is fairly modern, most of their models are in charter fleets so the designs are tested to destruction and private users will rarely wear them out.

All in all, it’s hard to see how you could go too far wrong with an OC38 or an OC41 for use in the Med. If however, you plan to sail rtw after a couple of summers in the Med, I’d then swop to a larger Discovery or something like.