Beneteau Antares 30 fly windscreen repair

Popski

Visit site
Morning all. Apologies for posting again but I’m looking for help from anyone who has had a similar issue. The internal centre support of the windscreen has become unbounded form the 2 panes during a rough ride. The issue is that I have little in the way of support here in Gozo and anyone with a similar experience would be terrific. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 0B2853DD-C2DA-4EFA-A364-EC9DE3E5C4F4.jpeg
    0B2853DD-C2DA-4EFA-A364-EC9DE3E5C4F4.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 38

Popski

Visit site
So I am following up my previous post on the window screen issue on my Beneteau Antares 30 fly. As I stated a couple of weeks ago the centre internal screen cover became detached. I have now had engineers in to affect a repair and they have had to remove both front window screens. On inspection it appears to be the bonding material used at the time of boat manufacture the sikaflex material had lost all its elasticity and became brittle thus a few jolts and hey presto a very bad windscreen and no longer water tight. The craft is 9 years old and I’m now looking at a bill for repair €4500. Insurance won’t entertain a claim as in their view it was wear and tear but I was told by the engineers they have never seen this on a yacht under 10 years old. I’m posting this to see if anyone on the forum has had similar issues not necessarily with Beneteau but other boat manufacturers.

c.buck

Visit site
hmm, I think you should tell your insurer that this is as a result of a heavy weather incident slamming on waves (perhaps you got caught out, or perhaps you thought your boat could handle those waves). The proximate cause is the heavy seas in the rough ride as you have described. Without the rough seas, the windscreen would have been fine (as per your engineer who has seen this in a 10 year old yacht, and I've seen this in a 2 year old yacht I used to maintain). Next step is changing insurer! Who are you with? have you tried compareyachtinsurance .com?

Popski

Visit site
hmm, I think you should tell your insurer that this is as a result of a heavy weather incident slamming on waves (perhaps you got caught out, or perhaps you thought your boat could handle those waves). The proximate cause is the heavy seas in the rough ride as you have described. Without the rough seas, the windscreen would have been fine (as per your engineer who has seen this in a 10 year old yacht, and I've seen this in a 2 year old yacht I used to maintain). Next step is changing insurer! Who are you with? have you tried compareyachtinsurance .com?
Actually the engineer suggested that this was just waiting to happen as the bonding material had become brittle as mentioned earlier. He also suggested that one wave on an otherwise calm sea would not have caused this to happen. I have read elsewhere here that there has been window issues of a similar nature. The company undertaking the work is to provided a certificate of conformity and leak test once completed. Changing insurer is not an option now with Brexit looming as being berthed in Malta and registered under Valletta flag, after 31 December uk insurance providers, as I understand it, will not be able to provide cover to EU member states.