Bembridge

PhatBuoy

London via the midlands and the Celtic isles
Visit site
Was in Bembridge last week,what a shambles! The 'new' pontoon was moored three boats deep for most of its length. I was heading for the Marina,then saw the notices that all berths beyond the sign were Private. Since when? So moored alongside three other boats and decided to nip ashore for a swift half. Although there is a berth and plenty of notices for a 'water taxi' it failed to appear.
The reception in the Yacht Club however cannot be faulted.
Speaking the next morning to a number of my fellow visitors I discovered that they had had the same ' lets search for a berth' experience.
What goes on Bembridge??

<hr width=100% size=1>

Swingkeel

Visit site
Umm, I was heading there this Saturday. Where could I put a 22' lifting keel do you reckon? I want to be able to get off Sunday am smartish!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Swingkeel

Visit site
Umm, I was heading there this Saturday. Where could I put a 22' lifting keel do you reckon? I want to be able to get off Sunday am smartish!

<hr width=100% size=1>

wiggy

Visit site
Oh stop winging Bembridge is a fantastic spot and therefore very popular, if you dont like it go somewhere else and leave it to those of us who love it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

davel

Visit site
Bembridge Marina is private. Although they did used to have a few visitor berths, they were always in short supply and visitors often had to tie up at the old pontoon which was not connected to the shore.
At least the new pontoon is shore connected now although there is very little water available and most boats with a keel can expect to take the ground - this is no problem however as the bottom is soft mud.

I find Bembridge a delight to visit although the channel depth is always a bit of a gamble and berthing is rather restricted, this somehow adds to the attraction of the place !

Bilge keelers can always take the ground of course and there's plenty of that around!

<hr width=100% size=1>Dave L.

Rabbie

Visit site
I was of the belief that the beach just inside the entrance to port where twin-keelers etc can take the ground was free to visitors. A friend tells me that he was charged a fee there recently. He paid up, but I would like to know if he was 'had'?.

<hr width=100% size=1>.

brians

Visit site
There has always been a charge on the beach although it is minimal compared to the marina.

Problem with the visitors pontoon is the 15 min walk to the loos and showers.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
I can't remember the last time I was able to get onto a visitor's berth at the marina in Bembridge at a weekend. Weekdays is another matter, we were once the only visitor for the whole of our stay (3 days in May). Only 3 deep at the pontoon on a Saturday? - luxury!
Not been there yet this year mind; I don't suppose anyone has any news of the Row Barge Inn?

<hr width=100% size=1>

martinb

Visit site
We spent Saturday night at Bembridge, seven deep in our raft but we knew it would be like that. In fact they were turning boats away when we arrived. Bembridge is a fantastic place and I guess I am not alone in thinking that, hence the crowds. Saturday night we ate in Brading Haven Club and I can honestly say that I have not experienced better food and service at the price, highly recommended.

Mrtin

<hr width=100% size=1>