Belgium

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
It's perverse isn't it, Belgium has no land boarders, people can drive back and forth with pink, black or yellow spotted diesel in their tanks, no one checks your passport or MOT or car insurance, there's just a little sign by the side of the road to say you're entering Belgium.

But arrive by yacht and customs officials are banging on your companion way door at first light, checking papers and in a few cases your diesel, RADAR paper work and drinking Roger's best coffee. It's just bizarre, all those millions of vehicles crossing and recrossing the land border and all this fuss about a few hundred yachts from blighty. Kind of makes you wonder about priorities. Or is it something buried in the psychie of a former trading nation that threats come from the sea?

Anyone entering Belgium overland does so from another Schengen country.
The assumption is that they were already checked when entering that country (or elsewhere in the Schengen zone).
Any sea border is treated as an 'outside border' of the Schengen zone and therefore it is Belgium's responsibility to check anyone entering by sea.

UK yachts attract perhaps more attention than most because Britain is not a Schengen country.
The main argument for Britain not signing the Schengen Treaty was that she wanted to retain control of her own borders (and check anyone entering the country).
Yet, when Belgium does exactly that the response from British yotties is almost universally hostile.
Odd.

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site
The assumption is that they were already checked when entering that country (or elsewhere in the Schengen zone).
Any sea border is treated as an 'outside border' of the Schengen zone and therefore it is Belgium's responsibility to check anyone entering by sea.

UK yachts attract perhaps more attention than most because Britain is not a Schengen country.
The main argument for Britain not signing the Schengen Treaty was that she want to retain control of her own borders (and check anyone entering the country).
Yet, when Belgium does exactly that the response from British yotties is almost universally hostile.
Odd.

That is the Odd thing, as it isnt effective either

Colvic Watson

Visit site

The main argument for Britain not signing the Schengen Treaty was that she want to retain control of her own borders (and check anyone entering the country).
Odd.

Agreed, it's a very odd situation in which the only ones loosing are the local businesses in Belgian ports, the Dutchies don't spend a groat when they travel.

Marmalade

Visit site
Don't go to Belgium, esp in 2 weekends time. Nasty horrible place; likely to be raining hard; abrupt shouty harbourmaster; loads of swell in the dock; almost certainly get arrested for not having papers, or having fuel and get thrown in 3rd world-like gaol cell...really not worth the candle

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site
Don't go to Belgium, esp in 2 weekends time. Nasty horrible place; likely to be raining hard; abrupt shouty harbourmaster; loads of swell in the dock; almost certainly get arrested for not having papers, or having fuel and get thrown in 3rd world-like gaol cell...really not worth the candle

Thanks for the tip. might well go to Ramsgate instead I`m told its very nice, even has a Waitrose shop

Supine Being

Visit site
Belgium is fine. Never had a real problem - the only time we were visited was when we turned up at 1am(I got the tide wrong,,,,,)and the customs knocked on the hatch at 8am in the morning. Very polite and just asked for papers etc. We assume they must have seen us enter on their radar.

I had something similar all perfectly fine. The customs official didn't want coffee, but did want to practice phrases that he had picked up from Only Fools and Horses... Lovely Jubbly!

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Just how I found it last May. I think Robert must be deaf as he shouts even when he is standing next to you just having a conversation!!

He's barking in more than one sense, but a delightful institution, not to my taste but I understand why others love him. Wish we were coming over but I only have the week off so have to be back on the Sunday.

Salty

Visit site
It's perverse isn't it, Belgium has no land boarders, people can drive back and forth with pink, black or yellow spotted diesel in their tanks, no one checks your passport or MOT or car insurance, there's just a little sign by the side of the road to say you're entering Belgium.

As a Belgian resident I get stopped quite regularly, certainly 3-4 times a year. Random road blocks, all cars pulled over, a courteous check of papers (you need car reg and insurance docs in the car, and your ID card), quick blow in a breathalyser, and on your way sir. When we moved house, the local police were there on the same day making sure residency papers were in order. The Belgians are charming, and it's a lovely country but they are VERY officious. Probably why the EU is based there....

Anyway, the red diesel / radar licence business doesn't surprise me given their joy for playing by the rules (and enforcing them), but I wouldn't let that keep you away from a delightful country: just make sure everything is in order before you go.

Last edited:

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Anyway, the red diesel / radar licence business doesn't surprise me given their joy for playing by the rules (and enforcing them), but I wouldn't let that keep you away from a delightful country: just make sure everything is in order before you go.

That's what I thought but when walking through Ostend last May there was a shop being rebuilt - a crane was working lowering a steel girder. The crane driver was smoking a cigarette inside the enclosed cab and no one on the site had a hard hat or high viz on. If they play by the rules, they wre not being enforced that day!

Sixpence

Visit site
That's what I thought but when walking through Ostend last May there was a shop being rebuilt - a crane was working lowering a steel girder. The crane driver was smoking a cigarette inside the enclosed cab and no one on the site had a hard hat or high viz on. If they play by the rules, they wre not being enforced that day!

Sounds like Ostend is like heaven, to me :cool:

sailorman

Visit site
According to the Yachting Monthly website and the RYA a British boat was given a hard time about not having a radar licence in a marina in Antwerp. I don't have radar myself, but on top of the red diesel issue I just wonder if the Belgians want us British yachtsmen over there spending our money or not. Let's face it, it's an acquired taste and easily avoided.
I am in Oostende now.
no officials to be seen about to date
Had a very good day today @ Oostende voor Anker

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

Why should they play by British rules in Belgium? :confused::confused:
If the crane drops a steel girder a high viz vest or hard hat are not going to save you.