Beautiful stuff to look at in lockdown, your fave sea artists.

steve yates

Visit site
I follow some amazing artists on instagram, and thought it would be worth sharing their sites, as admiring their work can pass a pleasant few hours.

Lets see yours? with a link please. Must capture the sea or boats, or it could get messy.

Ruth Brownlee

Roseanne Barr

Emma Whitelock

Someone who I can't remember, but will come back and fill in when I do :)

And in photography, a friend of mine, Margaret Soraya (though I notice her prices have risen considerably since I last looked :) )

Enjoy

johnalison

Visit site
Emil Nolde

I didn't really expect him to be on Instagram, seems I was wrong...
I'm a great admirer of Nolde, in spite of his character deficiencies.

Hokusai's 'The Wave' is magificent in its detail but perhaps a bit obvious. I'll have to go for Charles Brooking and Van de Velde the younger. I'm afraid the Brooking is a bit small.
index.jpg

2012_CKS_05602_0018_000(willem_van_de_velde_ii_a_calm_-_a_smalschip_and_a_kaag_at_anchor_with).jpg

kaj

Visit site
One of my favorites is Adolf Bock.

Here he is depicting the approaches to Helsinki, at the Harmaja (or Gråhara) lighthouse.

2012-11-07T13-54_421508539_333.jpg

This will, btw, be the venue of the 2020 12mR World Championships, postponed to 2021.

Another favorite is Henrik Tikkanen, depicting the stage and clubhouse of the organizing club.

njk-linedrawing-1.png

Linguistine

Visit site
Hi - a bot of a tangent from this type of nautical art but I have been doing some abstract collage work made from old charts @Linguistine on instagram, would be great if you can take a look. I have put them up for sale, have made at least 10 framed so far, this Cov-19 has stopped all my work!

Rafiki

Visit site
Kaj,
Is that the clubhouse on a small island in (one of) the Helsinki harbours? If so It is one I have visited for a very good meal - a business trip rather than a sailing trip I'm afraid. I would love to sail there when we are allowed ! but you do have quite a short season don't you.

kaj

Visit site
Kaj,
Is that the clubhouse on a small island in (one of) the Helsinki harbours? If so It is one I have visited for a very good meal - a business trip rather than a sailing trip I'm afraid. I would love to sail there when we are allowed ! but you do have quite a short season don't you.

That's the clubhouse, within one NM of the city centre, main Market Square and the Presidential Palace.

Our waters are icefree from usually April to December :). The sailing season is from late April (cold water, rather much sunlight) to late October (relatively warm water, less sunlight). Midsummer (late June) to early August is high season.

Frogmogman

Visit site
I must confess I'm not a huge fan of straight seascapes; I prefer a bit of subject matter, be it a beach scene or boats. I also prefer paintings that are a bit loose and impressionisty to work that is tightly executed. A chacun son gout.

I've always liked the work of East Anglian artist Edward Seago. Here's one of his of barges on the Orwell

AFA2AAFC-C2CC-41AC-9204-192BA49FBA9C.jpg

Sadly, his work is beyond my budget. The great Brian Sewell described Roy Petley as Seago's heir. I have a number of his works; much more affordable than Seago. His beach scenes are really terrific.

Here's a couple of his from my collection; one of his beach scenes from Australia, and a watercolor in front of the Doge's palace in Venice (which in real life is much less monochrome in real life than it looks in the photo).

B7C71718-47B2-400B-8969-484BE40DEF38.jpg

C0B5BAB8-597F-47DE-B44B-54CD71A2B1DD.jpg

I'm also a huge fan of Spanish Artist Joaquin Sorolla. There was a big show of his work at the National Gallery last summer, which sadly I didn't manage to get to, but I did buy the catalogue, which is magnificent. The title of the show "Spanish master of light" is no mere hyperbole. Here's a couple of his; one of children playing on the beach, the other of repairing a sail. Again, totally beyond my reach, but truly beautiful works.

1D57566E-2321-4FC1-B591-0A7CEB302594.jpg

EBDB0350-75F9-4472-A698-CF29ABBB3FB7.jpg

Russian artist Yuri Krotov is something of a disciple of Sorolla. Here's a picture of his which I bought which is undoubtedly an hommage to Sorolla

CBFD7C5F-4449-4774-95EE-9B224E46938B.jpg