Beach Fishermen at Felixstowe

jimi

Visit site
We often take the dogs there for a walk along the beach .. as do many other people. The place is littered with ignorant grumpy fishermen hogging every available space. I'm normally reasonably tolerant but these plonkers get on ma tits! It seems to be a bit generic, I recall surfing at Boscombe decades ago when fishemen would deliberately cast at you. Antisocial gits.

ninjod

Visit site
We often take the dogs there for a walk along the beach .. as do many other people. The place is littered with ignorant grumpy fishermen hogging every available space. I'm normally reasonably tolerant but these plonkers get on ma tits! It seems to be a bit generic, I recall surfing at Boscombe decades ago when fishemen would deliberately cast at you. Antisocial gits.

I swim there a lot and have found the fishermen to be friendly and engaging, especially when clambering out of the water after a long swim. Could it be you ?

jimi

Visit site
I swim there a lot and have found the fishermen to be friendly and engaging, especially when clambering out of the water after a long swim. Could it be you ?
Nope, definitely not. You sound as if you've been hooked? TBH most are OK but there's always one or two gits.

johnalison

Visit site
It's the same everywhere. Negotiating the Dutch canals or the entrance to any French harbour can be fraught with nylon hazard. Fisherman, or rather, anglers, seem genetically incapable of realising that an approaching boat will shortly be requiring them to retract their lines.

johnalison

Visit site
Try sailing on the Broads. Rarely do I fail to find nylon around my prop when the boat is lifted at the end of the season.
We used to sail on the Broads in April/May, which was the closed season for fishermen. On the odd occasion when we did it later I don't remember much of a problem.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Are we talking Fishermen or them Anglerts ere ?

Always found (proffesional) Fishermen very helpfull, cheefull, knowlable, etce etc

but

Them anglerts are a different Kettle of Fish; when boating upon Kent Rivers was usuall to find Magotts in the boat cockpit, left there by Anglerts boarding my boat to fish from etc; or casting off from other side of river to fish under my boat, so the leads etc usually hit my boat before sinking out of sight

[178529]

Visit site
I've always found fishermen/anglers friendly folk. When sailing past them, on the bank or if they are anchored, I try to leave enough room so they don't have to pull their tackle in, oor eh, and usually have a friendly exchange going past.

pvb

Visit site
I've no doubt there are posts on angling forums about the inconsiderate miserable dog walkers on the beach, letting their dogs crap everywhere and generally spoiling the peace. ;)

Keith 66

Visit site
Back in the late 80's we built a 36ft sailing outrigger canoe for the sailing class in the Southend raft race, too long to go by road we just sailed her there from Benfleet. First trip to Southend we were running downwind in a stiff westerly breeze at a prodigous speed & went past Southend pier head quite close, barely under control. All of a sudden at least half a dozen fishermen appeared to catch a large fish with rods bending mightly & then started happily waving their fists at us. We couldnt hear what they were shouting but assumed they were wishing us a speedy trip! We spent the rest of the day out by the mulberry harbour until the afternoon tide.

jimi

Visit site
I remember once in Kalymnos we left and took out a greek fisherman’s gea, he jumped up and down a bit. Got outside and it was too windy so we went back in and took out his reset gear, he jumped up and down even more! I took round a beer to him to apologise and his disposition changed to bright and sunny. With regard to Felixstowe’s crabbit fishermen, if they want solitude and peace then they’d be better off elsewhere

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
As you know it was cold with a strong SW wind and torrential rain at 10:23am (time of posting) this morning.
The Suffolk Coast has become a magnet this summer for all interest groups. I have seen people looking through binoculars today across barren
marshlands, dog walkers, tourists etcetcetc even some bloke on a penny farthing bicycle with matching moustaches.
Its difficult to keep a pleasant and friendly manner with people who feel entitled to do as they wish, whilst sneering at others for being in their precious space. The holiday homes have got their lights on, the car spaces are full by 10am.
People are prepared to sit under an umbrella in the cold wet wind and know that they are perfectly within their rights to do so and they are the people who know what life is all about and don't even smile or greet them, so there.
Surely jimi you didn't drive to Felixstowe from St Neots to walk the dog? None of my business of coarse but I would suggest you avoid Suffolk Coast for a while?

jimi

Visit site
As you know it was cold with a strong SW wind and torrential rain at 10:23am (time of posting) this morning.
The Suffolk Coast has become a magnet this summer for all interest groups. I have seen people looking through binoculars today across barren
marshlands, dog walkers, tourists etcetcetc even some bloke on a penny farthing bicycle with matching moustaches.
Its difficult to keep a pleasant and friendly manner with people who feel entitled to do as they wish, whilst sneering at others for being in their precious space. The holiday homes have got their lights on, the car spaces are full by 10am.
People are prepared to sit under an umbrella in the cold wet wind and know that they are perfectly within their rights to do so and they are the people who know what life is all about and don't even smile or greet them, so there.
Surely jimi you didn't drive to Felixstowe from St Neots to walk the dog? None of my business of coarse but I would suggest you avoid Suffolk Coast for a while?
Actually I’ve got two dogs, and I keep my boat at Levington which is only 10 mins max away from Felixstowe. And no I wasn’t there today, I’ve got closer places to go. But thanks for your good wishes and best wishes to you too. Stay safe

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
Good place to keep a boat jimi and indeed best wishes and absolutely no animosity intended.
It has been a decidedly trying time for all as I'm sure you are aware.
As for beach fishermen, huh, I certainly know a few and cant afford to make a public comment on their sanity.
What I will say is that they may think they are in touch with nature and the sea but a good proportion of them leave litter and old
lines on the local beaches. So they can shove that in their pipe and smoke it, grumpy buggers.

SaltIre

Visit site
I formed the same opinion of fishermen when I did my river canoeing course. There we were, minding our own business, whizzing down the Spey - only to be assailed by blokes standing in the middle of the river with hooks on pieces of string attached to long canes. They seemed awfully impolite - most inconsiderate. :mad:

Frayed Knot

Visit site
Some anglers certainly do seem to be a breed apart. Over the years I’ve received verbal abuse for having the nerve to be driving a narrowboat on the Grand Union, a sailing cruiser at least 20 metres from the bank of the Kiel Canal & once from a kayaker off Felixstowe, who felt that a 50 metre distance was invading his personal space & that he would be reporting me to the coastguard!

RivalRedwing

Visit site
I formed the same opinion of fishermen when I did my river canoeing course. There we were, minding our own business, whizzing down the Spey - only to be assailed by blokes standing in the middle of the river with hooks on pieces of string attached to long canes. They seemed awfully impolite - most inconsiderate. :mad:
I suspect they may have been paying quite a few £ for the privilege :)