Bbc iplayer and VPN's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisby

Visit site
We’ve been using Hidden24 in Vietnam for the last 11 months, works well here so should work well anywhere! Not free but only a fiver or so a month. (Well worth it if you’ve ever seen Vietnamese TV!)

nortada

Visit site
We’ve been using Hidden24 in Vietnam for the last 11 months, works well here so should work well anywhere! Not free but only a fiver or so a month. (Well worth it if you’ve ever seen Vietnamese TV!)

The only problem with using a pay VPN, when it gets blocked, you continue to pay so if you go down this route to minimise your potential loss, best to get a monthly, rather than an annual subscription.

There are plenty of free VPNs available so it is a case of ‘Seek and ye shall find’.

As a precaution, I always have more than one free VPN available so as one goes out, I have a replacement available.

Over the last few days the UK has blocked a few VPNs so off on a search for replacements.

Any thoughts❓

steveallan

Visit site
I used Witopia for a few years $50 p.a. Quite good but also had the same problem as another poster - sticking at 12 Mb. The problem for me was the cost of the broadband link. Currently in Spain and the connection costs are 3x what they were in Malta. I use Lebara, the cheapest I could find, and it's 20 euros for 3GB. Now I load up iplayer in the UK, but there's obviously a 30 day time limit. Overseas it's local TV and Radio 4, 5 live. Soon we'll have to pay for iPlayer.

Don't buy a Lebara sim in Gatwick - ready for Spain they say. It's not. The product codings cannot be read by Spanish Lebara outlets. Sorry for thread drift, that one made me angry!

Digi Spain €20 for 20G plus unlimited calls and texts to spainish numbers.

RAI

Visit site
I'm using expressVPN with BBC iplayer. Anyone of your facing trouble accessing the content?
I've had expressvpn fail to access iplayer on one day, corrected the next.
I suspect the BBC is chasing IP addresses to block and VPN operators are changing them.

Gin

Visit site
I am in the UK and I use Tunnel Bear (free) and also ipVanish( subscription required)- and both since summer are blocked by iPlayer “you appear to be outside the Uk” etc, even though I am using a selection of UK servers. Every now and then ipVanish manages to get a connection but clearly the Beeb is taking a very hostile stance against those who wish to remain anonymous.
Do I need to use a VPN for this purpose? No, but once it’s connected for banking and other sensitive stuff, it’s a pain having to disconnect when I have a few leisure moments

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I’ve used private vpn for a few weeks now, having used windscribe and TunnelBear prior to that, both were free but latterly would not connect to iplayer. Private is by subscription, but at about a tenner for 3 months I thought it was worth a try. So far, so good, and comes with a 31 day money back agreement.

willieaames

Visit site
Had quick conversation with a friend and he mentioned using a VPN to access bbc iplayer and other TV channel iplayers when abroad, at the moment Spain. Is he correct as he was not coming with a lot of knowledge. Is he correct? and if yes any recommendations for a VPN, ideally free as they seem to be a lot of them around.

Thanks

When i was in denmark, i`d connected nordvpn but it failed to stream iplayer. BBC simply auto-blocks IP adresses with too many users. Just 6 or more different user logins from the same IP address would not happen from a real household. Simple. Might be this guide have all the answers:
https://www.bestvpn.co/bbc-iplayer-vpn/

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
When i was in denmark, i`d connected nordvpn but it failed to stream iplayer. BBC simply auto-blocks IP adresses with too many users. Just 6 or more different user logins from the same IP address would not happen from a real household. Simple. Might be this guide have all the answers:
https://www.bestvpn.co/bbc-iplayer-vpn/

There are two of us, and we could quite easily hit 6 logins from the same IP address - a phone each, a laptop, a desktop and maybe two or three guests with phones would easily do it.

neil1967

Visit site
We now use pureVPN. It is very good, although sometimes the BBC do manage to block it. The integration on to Chrome is excellent - every time you open Chrome it automatically connects via the VPN. There is a dedicated VPN for iPlayer too. Very satisfied.

nortada

Visit site
We now use pureVPN. It is very good, although sometimes the BBC do manage to block it. The integration on to Chrome is excellent - every time you open Chrome it automatically connects via the VPN. There is a dedicated VPN for iPlayer too. Very satisfied.

Following a period of being unable to use Free VPN UK to connect to the BBC iPlayer, I see it is again available, but for how long?

Clearly there is a big move afoot to block VPN access to iPlayer. For this reason, I am reluctant to sign up to a paying site, only to be blocked almost immediately after.

Does Pure VPN have a free version?

ps Tried to find app for pureVPN but Apple app store appear to block it?

Last edited:

neil1967

Visit site
Yes there is an iOS app (and Android, Win, Mac etc) for pureVPN. I don't have any concern about pureVPN being blocked, other than very intermittently - they seem a reasonably large and professional organisation and they would lose a lot of custom if they couldn't provide a good service. We've used them for around 18 months (from memory).

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I'm just wondering if there is anyone that feels just a little bit guilty accessing the BBC by VPN in contravention of the terms of service and, presumably, costing the cash-strapped Beeb significant money in enforcement?

I don't do it.

Cheers

Bristol

RobbieW

Visit site
I'm just wondering if there is anyone that feels just a little bit guilty accessing the BBC by VPN in contravention of the terms of service and, presumably, costing the cash-strapped Beeb significant money in enforcement?

I don't do it.

Cheers

Bristol

Well there are certainly some here that have a UK TV licence but are unable to access the service they pay for whilst out of the country. The BBC have talked for years about implementing a licence based login for iPlayer but failed to do so so far. I dont see that they have any reason to feel guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.