Bbc iplayer and VPN's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
When out of the UK temporarily, you can use up to your data allowance (Three = 20GBt per month) free.

If you are out of the UK for longer than 4 months+, why not use local free wifi and free VPN? Not sure if you can get smart DNS free?

It appears from this thread that some people spend longer trying to circumvent the terms of use of iPlayer than actually watching TV.

I don't really see why the cash strapped BBC should have to waste resources in tracking down and closing these arrangements.

RAI

Visit site
It appears from this thread that some people spend longer trying to circumvent the terms of use of iPlayer than actually watching TV.

I don't really see why the cash strapped BBC should have to waste resources in tracking down and closing these arrangements.
I suppose the BBC must have some kind of copyright issue. Why can't iPlayer content be charged for, like Britbox for users do?

RobbieW

Visit site
I suppose the BBC must have some kind of copyright issue. Why can't iPlayer content be charged for, like Britbox for users do?
The copyright issue is my understanding of why the BBC seem(ed) to care so much about out of country use. The BBC, and no doubt all the production companies, make good money selling content to territories outside their home one. The BBC would be undercutting those who paid for access to thier content if they allowed unrestricted iPlayer access from any IP address.

Having had a quick look at BriBox I see its a repository for dramas etc but not all BBC output as iPlayer is. Whether you like the current funding arrangement or not, part of the BBC remit is to provide broadcast services to the UK so charging for thier repository within that territory would be unacceptable.

I used seem(ed) in the first sentence as things have changed since the this thread started. The change in the way mobile providers use IP addresses within roaming areas means that those with UK SIMs mostly get UK IP addresses so the issue of hiding your location has mostly gone away as long as you can use UK mobile data. So the need for VPN or DNS solutions is significantly diminished just to hide location.

nortada

Visit site

I can assure you that once people have established their VPN, they spend no time circumnavigating anything. Click on and watch?

If the BBC. choose to use their resources to track IPs through VPN sites, they are wasting their time and resources because they are just playing catch-up so will never resolve this issue.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
But if the BBC don't put some resources into this problem then the value of their products goes down as more and more overseas viewers simply watch direct. There is obviously a sweet spot where the expenditure on enforcement is just right for the optimum level of discouragement.

Personally I'm against individuals wasting the national broadcasters scant resources that could be used to make the programs that those people profess to like.

nortada

Visit site
But if the BBC don't put some resources into this problem then the value of their products goes down as more and more overseas viewers simply watch direct. There is obviously a sweet spot where the expenditure on enforcement is just right for the optimum level of discouragement.

Personally I'm against individuals wasting the national broadcasters scant resources that could be used to make the programs that those people profess to like.

I agree, in the grand strategy of things, it is a very small issue.

It not worth anybody’s time or effort but rather than individuals it is the UK that is using resources to stop folk overseas watching UK TV, with little success.

A point, I am not sure that the BBC put any resources into this, rather other agencies and of course all not just BBC programs are covered by the ban on overseas reception.

But we have strayed it to the morality of watching UK TV overseas, rather than the easiest way to do it.?

BF, out of interest, are you overseas and directly affected by this issue or do you hold a rather esoteric moral position from within the UK❓

Last edited:

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Nortada. Both really. I lived for 17 years in Oz and enjoyed BBC content broadcast by the ABC(paid for by taxation rather than a licence fee). I'm back in the UK for the time being and love paying a licence fee.

I do hold a position on this issue - the BBC is marvellous and under enough pressure from idiotic politicians and others who can't see its true value without extra pressure imposed by trying to protect intellectual property rights.

Similarly, I take a dim view of threads (not necessarily on this forum) about how to avoid mooring fees, evade parking charges or get into the campsite showers for free.

I once did a long distance walk - part of it passed through Aboriginal land where the local Aboriginal community charged $3 or so for access - the German backpacker who'd managed to carefully skirt the reserve office to avoid the fee similarly didn't impress me.

nortada

Visit site
Nortada. Both really. I lived for 17 years in Oz and enjoyed BBC content broadcast by the ABC(paid for by taxation rather than a licence fee). I'm back in the UK for the time being and love paying a licence fee.

I do hold a position on this issue - the BBC is marvellous and under enough pressure from idiotic politicians and others who can't see its true value without extra pressure imposed by trying to protect intellectual property rights.

Similarly, I take a dim view of threads (not necessarily on this forum) about how to avoid mooring fees, evade parking charges or get into the campsite showers for free.

I once did a long distance walk - part of it passed through Aboriginal land where the local Aboriginal community charged $3 or so for access - the German backpacker who'd managed to carefully skirt the reserve office to avoid the fee similarly didn't impress me.

Fair enough, but this thread is really for those who are interested in using VPN. What use they put it to is up to them.

As I have a UK TV license, I see nothing wrong with using VPN to continue to access UK TV, when overseas.

Out of interest, you appear to focus on the BBC so how do you feel about people without licenses using VPN to access commercial TV, which gets no benefit from public funds❓

Status
Not open for further replies.