Bav 42 lost keel in Hungary - Translate!

SilverBreeze

www.sail.ie
Need a translation of this website which details capsize of Bavaria Match 42 after loss of keel.

A race on a lake, strong winds, loss of life, loss of keel on a boat called "Kiel."

A friend has bought one of these boats, should I stay ashore?

G

Not a very good day for Bavarias today, wot with Tynemouth 'n all.

Sorry only know one word of Hungarian /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

qsiv

Visit site
Stories of problems on Match 42 and 38 in Australia too.

Lifted from SailingAnarchy ..
Translated by a non sailor

Apparently in the MiraMare cup race, there was a horrendous accident. They found the boat on its side, and the cause is now under investigation. The outfit posting this article is not in the business of investigating, but merely wants to warn others. I get the feeling that they tend to disagree with the media about their reporting. It is said that there were winds of 36 knots. Normally, races of that length are not run under those conditions. Some of the sailors were more experienced than others. Some of the boats decided not to participate. Those who did, said that it was way too difficult to "steer" (actual term used) for 6 to 9 hours in that type of weather. There is also some mention of conflicting numbers, one on the front of the boat and another on the sail, and these did not correspond, making it difficult for neighboring boats to know with whom they were actually communicating.
The article attempts to call attention to the boat itself, implying that there is a quality issue. They say the keel is the last thing a boat should lose and that's what happened in this case. They checked several boats of that type, and found that the steel plates were not uniform; some had 2 some had 3 plates. The photos show cracks around the bolts, and they were present on all the boats checked. The article says that it is assumed that a boat will be tested for all possible defects, but this class had other problems too. I.e. a door slammed shut and could not be opened from the outside, and that was the door to the storage room where the life vests were stored. A resourceful sailor managed to open it by picking the lock with a fork! There was a problem with the wheel which became inoperable, causing the boat to run in circles. They wondered how long it would take to put in the spare in 35 knot winds - provided the captain was experienced. But the main complaint was with the supporting steel plates. If there were only two, the weight was not evenly distributed, and that would have cased the major problems (they do explain how, but I don't know how much detail you want. Remember the price goes up by paragraph!!!) There was also mention of the difficulty in pulling in the sails, although some people found no fault with that.
They speculate that during the storm, the keel started to separate, and little by little the boat was literally pulled apart and sank. They also commented that, ironically, the name of the boat was "Kiel". All of Bavaria's boats are named after German cities.

G

Will give a print to my next door neighbour later today

qsiv

Visit site
Looks like a classic case of you get what you pay for...

scary.

82558_640_480.jpg