Battery selector

Tranona

Visit site
Correction. Should read "disconnected".

The OP says it won't start in "1" position but will in both. So the battery wired just to the engine is probably dead.

Refueler

Visit site
I get the point fully ... you are assuming what he has not got ...

He has a 1-both- 2 - off old system - taking his post info.

If he has such - then my post is valid and yours is not.

Of course even VicS has it wrong then ??

I think I would disconnect each of the batteries in turn and discover which tallies with which switch position

Bye Bye

PaulRainbow

Visit site

Bye Bye

Try reading post #5

Like i said, not rocket science.

Bye bye ? If only.

Tranona

Visit site

Of course even VicS has it wrong then ??

Bye Bye
He has NOT got a 1,2 both. Suggest you read the whole thread and then you can match your response to the information given, not to what you think he has!

citygent111

Visit site
bl**dy hell, I feel like I started WW3!

Anyway, ust to clarify & update..... The battery selector is OFF - ON - BOTH, with a split charge relay in there somewhere too.

I called in to see the guys at Valley Batteries in West Yorkshire - SO helpful! I've disconnected both batteries and they are currently being charged in their shop. Once fiully charged, they're going to do a discharge test to see what sort of capacity they have or if they are shot altogether.

We suspect the starter battery has had it, but there may still be life in the leisure battery. If that's the case, I will probably promote the leisure battery to Starter, and buy a new leisure battery. Can't afford to replace both - I've just bought a sodding boat!

Will report back when the discharge test has been done tomorrow :)

Tranona

Visit site
bl**dy hell, I feel like I started WW3!
That is just a bit of gentle joshing. Just reminding some that to help the poster with his problem better to read the whole thread when you come in halfway through rather than make assumptions and give misleading advice.

Anyway you have a plan. should work with a new battery for the engine start. also useful to actually confirm which is which. For your sort of boat and usage that is a good simply system that keeps one battery dedicated to the engine but gives the option of using the other as well in an emergency.

citygent111

Visit site
Ok, battery issue resolved - partly.

Valley Batteries charged and discharged both batteries. What was the Engine battery was shot. The House battery has 50% capacity.

I've bought a new House battery, and moved the old one to Engine. When I start the engine now, I use the COMBINED setting on the selector, then once running I switch to ON, which only uses the House battery for the 12v accessories.

WIll replace the engine battery in the next few weeks...

Thanks all!

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Ok, battery issue resolved - partly.

Valley Batteries charged and discharged both batteries. What was the Engine battery was shot. The House battery has 50% capacity.

I've bought a new House battery, and moved the old one to Engine. When I start the engine now, I use the COMBINED setting on the selector, then once running I switch to ON, which only uses the House battery for the 12v accessories.

WIll replace the engine battery in the next few weeks...

Thanks all!
Note two things;

1) If you deplete the domestic battery you have no way of starting the engine.
2) If the engine battery is significantly discharged it will draw more power from the domestic battery and may cause voltage drops significant to affect your electronics, possibly cycling the power, possibly causing damaging power spikes.

citygent111

Visit site
Note two things;

1) If you deplete the domestic battery you have no way of starting the engine.
2) If the engine battery is significantly discharged it will draw more power from the domestic battery and may cause voltage drops significant to affect your electronics, possibly cycling the power, possibly causing damaging power spikes.
To be honest, looking at our calendar, it's doubtful we'll even get the boat on the water before I've bought the new battery, so probably won't be an issue anyway!

William_H

Visit site
Apparently the problem is resolved. However it is far preferable to replace an engine start battery with one designed for that job. ie a typical car or truck battery optimised for max cold cranking amps smallest size and cost. The domestic battery should be optimised for low current large capacity ie known as deep cycle battery. Whilst optimised for deep cycle these can usually provide a lot of current for engine start assist if needed.
Regarding storage battery support the simplest way is a small 10w solar panel with 2 diodes one to each battery. Or alternatively a larger panel with dual battery charge controller. ol'will

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Apparently the problem is resolved. However it is far preferable to replace an engine start battery with one designed for that job. ie a typical car or truck battery optimised for max cold cranking amps smallest size and cost. The domestic battery should be optimised for low current large capacity ie known as deep cycle battery. Whilst optimised for deep cycle these can usually provide a lot of current for engine start assist if needed.
Regarding storage battery support the simplest way is a small 10w solar panel with 2 diodes one to each battery. Or alternatively a larger panel with dual battery charge controller. ol'will

Hmmm... the vasy majority of small/medium boats have a pair of leisure batteries, one for engine and one for domestics, or two for domestics. It's not so usual to have true deep cycle batteries.

KREW2

Visit site
For the life of me I cannot see a 1, 2, both position marked on the switch. Watched the demo video, and it appears to be just an isolator switch with a VSR in the system.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
For the life of me I cannot see a 1, 2, both position marked on the switch. Watched the demo video, and it appears to be just an isolator switch with a VSR in the system.

It has 3 positions:

OFF - Does what it says on the tin.
ON - the separate circuits for engine battery and domestics are both on.
Combine - Combines both circuits, same as the BOTH setting on a 1-2-B switch.

Seems like a neat solution, it does keep both circuits separate and allows emergency starting, but you cannot easily isolate a dead battery and continue using the good battery for everything. Much better than a 1-2-B, but I still prefer separate switches.

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
It's a double isolator, equivalent to two separate isolation switches in the same module (like a double pole switch), plus a combining switch that parallels the batteries in the "combine batteries" position. The combine batteries feature is not mentioned in the video. (They also make dual circuit switch without this feature )
The switch positions are:
OFF (both circuits)
ON (both circuits)
COMBINE (batteries paralleled and both circuits ON)

Last edited: