Battery question

Cathy*

Visit site
We've recently purchased a Merry Fisher 895 with twin Suzuki outboards. The first time we've had this set up. One battery is for the port engine and the other is starboard and domestic. Surprised to find that both batteries have to be on for either engine to be fired up so if one battery goes down we won't be able to start either engine. Is this normal?

simonfraser

Visit site
may be both switches have to be on, either way i'd not be happy with that set up

from paul rainbow on this forum and what i changed my set up to :

battery switch set up 2021.JPG

VicS

Visit site
We've recently purchased a Merry Fisher 895 with twin Suzuki outboards. The first time we've had this set up. One battery is for the port engine and the other is starboard and domestic. Surprised to find that both batteries have to be on for either engine to be fired up so if one battery goes down we won't be able to start either engine. Is this normal?
This sounds very odd .

This system from BEP marine may suit your needs.

Battery Distribution Cluster for Twin Engine with Two Battery Banks

wiring diagram:
https://www.bepmarine.com/-/media/inriver/INST-715-S.pdf?modified=20191030110609

This allows the port engine to be started from the port battery and the stbd engine to be started from the stbd engine

The selector switch allows the batteries to be paralleled, or for a dead battery to be isolated and the good one used for both engines . It also allows you to select which battery to use for the domestics.

Last edited: