Barrage

Sneds

Visit site
Wouldn't it be seaward of the holms?
Lets hope, if it happens, that they don't use the islands as a stepping stone!
I think a non-tidal Severn Estuary would be great for boating. I understand the wildlife concerns, but would it not be good for boats?

Sneds

Visit site
Speechless? Why? Pray tell.
24 hour access everwhere; no tides to punch against; no locks to negotiate........sounds like a damn fine idea to me.

Csail

N/A
Visit site
But surely it would be tidal otherwise how would the turbines generate power. I thought that was the whole idea?
Atleast it might be less choppy.

DAVIDO

Visit site
As i understand it will still be tidal with high tide for longer because they hold up the water on the landward side and then release to drive the turbines. I hope it doesnt mean we all get sucked in /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anwen

Visit site
It might be good news for sailing, but it would be bad news for the environment! The Severn Estuary is an internationally recognised important wetland (RAMSAR site) and creating the barrage would have a massive impact on the eco-systems behind it. I get the impression that the government are running around like headless chickens, trying to find something to actually do to address climate change.

Fortunately, I think the chances of the barrage actually being built are very slim. If you think about all the hoops that had to be jumped through in order to build the barrage in Cardiff Bay, and then multiply by a couple of orders of magnitude, then I think this is what the developers would be facing. Note that the development would have to be done by a private company, as the government can't actually build or operate power generation facilities - all the current consultation on nuclear can do is make it easier for private finance to build new nuclear stations. The days of state owned companies are long gone.

However, I do think that seabed mounted turbines to generate electricity from the existing tidal streams is a very feasible option, which gets part of a sentence towards the end of the BBC article. These would have a pretty small impact, but generate very useful quantities of power.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
AFAICS the main point of the Holms Race is the tidal aspect - canny (and lucky) skippers of "slower" boats have a great chance of winning. It isn't just a sprint round the marks and sort it out with handicaps later.

NB My opinion is entirely without first hand experience of ANY kind of sailing race!

petersto

Visit site
I like the positives, to many to mention, that a tidal estuary brings. The two main ones being because its a bit of a challenge its not too overcrowded, yet! and with the tide you can make serious distances all in your precious weekend off.
If I had wanted a lake I would have gone for one. Besides which it all saddens me that nature and views are being all eroded. What about this wind farm off North Devon the size of the Isle of Wight. Dear God.
Anyway on the lighter side I did my first trip to the floating dock the other weekend(with the tide) all personnel on the locks and all fellow boaters were all extremely helpful. Including when they opened the lock for me to exit at 0600 on the Sunday morning. Thanks to all including the boater that offered me a beer while we waited for the Balmoral.

BrendanS

Visit site
Many people are pushing for tidal lagoons. Artifical islands, hollow inside. The lagoon fills with water at high tide, and runs turbines same as the barrage. Doesn't affect tidal flow in rest of Channel, so mudflats etc unaffected. Will introduce a few more navigational hazards, but in the BC, lets face it, that won't make much difference! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wotayottie

Visit site
To my mind the importance of a particular worm or newt comes very much second to my need for a warm house and cheap energy. But I dont for one minute believe the eco scare stories anyway. You only need to think of the good environmental work we have done with the roads, where the road margins are real wildlife reserves. Or the firing ranges where no doubt the lentil eating kaftan wearing bearded wonders of the FOE would object like h*ll to new firing ranges being built but where the existing ones are again great for nature.

Some species would undoubtedly suffer from a Severn barage, others would undoubtedly prosper. But one species is more important than the others - us!

Having said all that, I dont believe it will get built because we hamstring ourselves in this country with public inquiries, and a legal system that means in practise we can never do anything remotely decisive. The puzzle is why we dont insist on applying the same public inquiry system to things we dont need - like tax increases or foreign wars. But thats a different story.

Q

quimby

How do they propose to sort the Sewage? Newnham on Severn Macerates their sewage then pumps into the river at HW. I am sure there are a few other outfalls upstream of the proposed Barrage, Would we be sailing on a very large cesspool? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif