Barge film

millbeach

Visit site
What a joy to watch.
Must be early 70s, all probably gone now.
Hope there granchildren have a copy so they can see how familys were.

Wansworth

Visit site
I signed on with Bob Roberts when he had moved on to trading with an old dutch coaster....he always said life on a sailing barge was much less work and there was more time as motorships didnt get held up with headwinds etc..although the coaster would have been beatern down windby a barge in a blow the Little coaster only capable of 7 knots sometimes when backwards in spring tides and strong headwinds.....

Capt Popeye

Visit site
:D

Very many thanks for that Video dw, it brought back lots of memories, much appreciated :D

Met BR at Upnor, on the Medway in the late 60's I should think, the Barge was on the blocks on the old Works site there, near the MYC, BR was doing jobs on her; :)
Have the pics somewhere? :confused:
Must dig them out this Winter, as I promised myself that I must go through my early pics and get them (useful ones anyway) onto CD or Sticks, before they get disposed of, or I am? :(

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Brilliant film. I had heard the two men and a dog thing but didn't think it was really true! Looks like the barge is still around: http://www.cambriatrust.org.uk

Not only the barge but also her Mate who must now be 62 and can be found, with less hair, on the staff of Yachting Monthly.

I first sailed up to Pin Mill and ventured into the public bar of the Butt and Oyster a year after this film was made. With the place full of retired barge skippers you had to mind your Ps and Qs and Heaven help you if you had made a prat of yourself picking up a mooring.

DanTribe

Visit site
Love the comment
" you don't want one of them radio telephones. It'll just be some tart in the office telling you to hurry up"