Bangor (Northern Ireland) to Portpatrick?

amoore658

Visit site
Hi all
Recently I was speaking to a few friends in Bangor Marina who also own boats. They were admiring my Dell quay dory, and asked why don't I take it to Portpatrick for trips etc. (I usually only go to Belfast/Carrick/Donaghadee & Larne on it). My response was "it's too small, unsafe"
But according to them, and online sources, people sail across on CANOES and ribs.
So I was thinking about it...Would it be safe assuming the weather was ok, or was I just speaking to a few nuts? lol
Thanks for your answer

Pete7

Visit site
Used to launch the 17ft rib just north of Larne and go across for a days diving. Visited the IOM as well. Rathlin always a good day out. Go in company with another boat if you can and check the weather first. North Channel in a blow is not a good place to be when the tide turns.

Pete

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Getting the go-ahead from an internet forum does not make it a safe passage, but a proper passage plan might.

Know your tides (very important there with lots of overfalls) know your weather, make sure you always know where you are and have back up nav techniques & paper chart/ compass etc. Carry spares for your engines inc fuel/ filters etc, go in company & have vhf/ gps etc. What buoancy does the boat have, will it support all on board (& engines) if swamped? Have some hot food & drinks available & good weatherproof clothing. It isn't far on a nice calm day, but conditions change with the tide (wind over tide is significant there) & the wind bites hard when you are wet.

I well remember seeing a young couple that had decided to zoom round Anglesey in a Shetland on a nice day. They arrived back in the Straits, freezing cold, soaking wet & she certainly never wanted to see the boat again. And that had a small cuddy for protection.

Do it right & you should have a great time, get it wrong & you could be dead - OK so that's the worst case, but it isn't impossible is it? Think of everything that could go wrong & have a plan to deal with it, then you won't become an RNLI statistic.

Quandary

Visit site
If you need to ask for advice on here, you should be wary of trying it on your own unless conditions are very calm, the tide runs much stronger as you approach Portpatrick meaning that the seas are much more uncomfortable for the last quarter of the trip. Lots of ribs go over regularly as the pubs are good and it is the Irish Sea version of Dover Calais for those who like a challenge in canoes etc. A crew from Bangor went across in a Renault Laguna last year for charity (Help for Heroes) and you should find a video of the passage on Youtube.
If you are used to going outside the Copelands in force 4 to 5 that would be similar to what you might experience as you approach the Mull in 3 to 4.

Halo

Visit site
With a good passage plan, favourable weather and a sea that is not agitated from previous weather should have a great time.
The only point I would add to those made earlier is in respect of the return trip. I have made a lot of passages in a small boat and it is getting back that is frequently the problem which pushes you to set off in conditions which may be more testing than you would like.
As a full time worker my own solutaion is to be prepared to leave her in the destination port and get a ferry / plane /train back home. I then select a suitable time / weather window for the return trip. If you are retired you may just be able to have sufficient patience.
Even though this trip is all UK dont forget your passport in case you need to divert S or take public transport back to NI.
These trips are fantastic so I would encourage you to proceed - with suitable plans and precautions.
Martin

Quandary

Visit site
South to the Republic of Ireland or the Isle of Man

I know it may be a silly question, but WHY?
The OP must be well confused by this advice but since he is in Bangor perhaps he might decide he could ignore it.

and if he did make such an enormous diversion, why would he need his passport?

orion50

Visit site
Tidal stream is a huge consideration. As you are forward planning for next summer, aim to identidy a number of slots where weather and tides might be favourable. A current almanac will have tidal stram data for both neaps and springs.

Quandary

Visit site
Tidal stream is a huge consideration. As you are forward planning for next summer, aim to identidy a number of slots where weather and tides might be favourable. A current almanac will have tidal stram data for both neaps and springs.

On a sailing yacht in the days before GPs gave you actual course made, it was normal to steer for Kilintringan light on the flood, the tide gets faster as you close the Galloway coast (more toward Corsewall at springs) so you then find you come down as you approach the cliffs to pick up the transit for going in. Usually did it on the flood to go in on a rising tide but a shallow draft boat is not so constrained.

Halo

Visit site
I know it may be a silly question, but WHY?
The OP must be well confused by this advice but since he is in Bangor perhaps he might decide he could ignore it.

and if he did make such an enormous diversion, why would he need his passport?

Becuase if he has sailed from Belfast Loch (Bangor) to S Scotland (Port Patrick)and cannot safely get back in his small boat he may need his passport (or similar photo id) to get home on public transport. have your tried to get on a plane without a passport?

It may be that if the winds are not right to get back to Belfast Loch that they may be right to get to the Republic - and it could be much easier to get home either by treating this as a large tack with a stop over or by leaving her south of the border until winds moderate.

Longer distance cruising in small boats requires flexibility and preparation. The weight penalty of a passport is small in comparison to the flexibility and options it can give you

Quandary

Visit site
Thanks for that advice, though having made the crossing dozens of times I have never envisaged getting within 50 miles of either the Isle of Man or Carlingford, most people who do not fancy the return crossing just get a taxi and hop on the ferry to Belfast.

DaveS

Visit site
have your tried to get on a plane without a passport?

This very much depends on the airline. On BA internal routes or Loganair - no passport required. Flymaybe wants to see photo ID: driving licence is fine. Same IIRC for BMI Baby and Easyjet, but I've not used them in the last few years. No idea about Ryanair, I refuse to use them on principle.

I've never been asked for a passport entering or leaving IoM or RoI.

Bodach na mara

Visit site
Getting back to the original question, people have crossed that channel and others in all sorts of daft vessels. Your dory should be OK on a calm day with a settled forecast, but the weather in that area is notoriously hard to predict and what may be OK on the way east may not be on the way back. Dories like that have succesfully made crossings of that nature. They have also come unstuck on the 2 mile crossing of the Clyde near Gourock.

colvic987

Visit site
Becuase if he has sailed from Belfast Loch (Bangor) to S Scotland (Port Patrick)and cannot safely get back in his small boat he may need his passport (or similar photo id) to get home on public transport. have your tried to get on a plane without a passport?

It may be that if the winds are not right to get back to Belfast Loch that they may be right to get to the Republic - and it could be much easier to get home either by treating this as a large tack with a stop over or by leaving her south of the border until winds moderate.

Longer distance cruising in small boats requires flexibility and preparation. The weight penalty of a passport is small in comparison to the flexibility and options it can give you

i am sure its a drive to stranraer and a ferry trip to larne, to get him back to NI, i am sure he wouldn't try to get to an airport, from portpatrick, when a suitable and reliable ferry crossing is within distance of portpatrick.

But getting back to a trip across in a small boat, i am sure its possible if you pick your day during a suitable weather window of calm seas.

Last edited: