Bamboo Timber

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I recently bought a lattice bamboo table that fits nicely in a space in the cockpit. It cost very little money.

Is it likely to disintegrate in rain ? or perhaps there is a coating that might seal it ?

Any experiences with this material appreciated.

TIA

B27

Visit site
There's loads of bamboo 'stuff' about, I think it's thin strips of bamboo bonded with various glues or resins.
I don't think oil will soak in due to the resin.
My approach with things like that is give it a couple of coats of UV resistant varnish, then keep it under cover as much as you reasonably can.
IF it can't be varnished, you'll just have to try harder to keep it out of the weather.

veshengro

Visit site
I think the secret to making it last is to protect any vulnerable end grain from constant soakings. A relative had a Bamboo garden bench seat which stood outside for years with no special care, until it finally began to suffer from standing on a poorly drained Patio. Water ingress via the feet and legs from constantly wet/damp paving slabs eventually ruined it.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
“It cost very little money”. Enjoy the use of it in the cockpit and if it fails after a couple of years, buy another. Compare this with the effort required to correctly apply varnishes, sealants, thinned epoxy et cetera, or even the minimum effort to poorly apply these products. I would just enjoy using the low cost table as is.

srm

Visit site
A chopping board on the boat started to grow black mould spots after about a year.
A couple of coats of good gloss varnish has protected the Ikea chair in our bathroom.
Folding workbench has a bamboo top, a couple of joints have split after being left outside in rain.

Stemar

Visit site
“It cost very little money”. Enjoy the use of it in the cockpit and if it fails after a couple of years, buy another. Compare this with the effort required to correctly apply varnishes, sealants, thinned epoxy et cetera, or even the minimum effort to poorly apply these products. I would just enjoy using the low cost table as is.
This, but I would put a coat or two of a suitable sealant. You'll never get it to the weather resistance of solid teak, but it will keep it looking good for longer.

Jazzcat has a couple of folding patio tables from Ikea. They've been treated with teak oil, which helps to prevent wine stains, but I don't expect them to last many years if we leave them out in the rain too often.