Balaerics stopping places in short timescales..

dbom

www.dkmoonlighting.tripod.com
Hi to all, my better half and I are faced with a problem and am confident that you guys out there will be able to help. The problem: The yacht is presently berthed at Port Vell, Barcelona whilst we are back in the UK earning the pennies in order for us to go away again this summer, but, unfortunately Kate has had to go back to her full time employemnt following a year out opportunity, and therefore messing things up a little. We still intend to try and make the most of things and the plan is as follows:

We'll head out together on approx 15th June. I will be staying out for the duration till approx early Sept whilst Kate will initially come on 3 weeks hol. In this time we would like to cross over to Port Pollensa, then hop over to Menorca and visit all the recommended places in this 3 week period.

So, Q1, Where would be the suggestions for sailing liveaboards to visit in Menorca in what will actually end up to be around 2 and a half weeks?

By the end of this 3 weeks we then need a suitable, reasonably priced Marina / town quay, for me to stay untill Kate returns in 2 weeks. That's Q2!

Kate will then return again for another 2 maybe 3 weeks and are now open to suggestions of where to head but a trip to Ibiza and formentera would be nice, what do you think?

Apologies for being vague in parts, but we are still fairly new to the sailing / liveaboard scene and am not entirely sure what can be comfortably achieved in these timescales, hence asking the question.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and i'll look forward in reading any welcomed thoughts and opinions,

PS: Our email address: davy@pipland.fsnet.co.uk
Our Website: www.dkmoonlighting.tripod.com

Kind regards,

Dave & Kate

MedDreamer

Visit site
Hi

In 2.5 weeks you can do several circumnavigations of Menorca. Mahon is a must, great natural harbour and a very nice town, you can even drop anchor in the harbour. There are too many lovely anchorages around the island to list in full but you could try Son Saura & Cala Turqueta on thr south coast, Cala Morrell, Fornells and Addaya (which has a small marina on the - more exposed - north coast and Isla Colom on the East Coast. Nothing really on the west coast except Cuitadella which has very limited space (if any at all).

No really cheap moorings in Menorca that I know of, but I don't know about Addaya. For longer term, relatively low cost, mooring suggest you head back to Mallorca and try Bonaire in Pollensa Bay. There are also free buoys just outside Puerto Pollensa (near the Seaplane station) but you are only supposed to stay a night or two and they are patrolled.

Just remembered that poster ccscott49 oftens spends several weeks each summer anchored just outside the marina in Alcudia so it may be worth a PM to him

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
<<< There are also free buoys just outside Puerto Pollensa (near the Seaplane station) >>

I think you'll find that these are no longer free. We were charged for mooring to them in 2005, and not cheap. There is a constant threat that all free mooring and anchoring will be stopped in Pollensa itself, replaced by paying buoys, but AFAIK that has not happened yet.

If staying aboard for your two weeks I would return to Mallorca and remain in Pollensa at anchor. Not sure if your other half is flying back from there or Menorca but there is a good bus service from Pollensa to Palma airport. Pollensa bay is very well sheltered and you could feel very safe there. Alternatively there are buoys for rent owned by a couple of English guys, ask around the marina and you will be directed to them. Also, there are several unoccupied buoys that people pick up but you would need to be around if doing this. Dive on them before leaving the boat, some of them have very dodgy chains, worn to nearly nothing.

Another safe anchorage is immediately outside Puerto Portals marina. There are boats almost permanently lying at anchor here: my son left his boat there unoccupied at anchor (a big CQR) for two seasons.

For your further plans, the one place you must not miss is Formentera. Don't even think about the marina, it will be unbelievably expensive (110 Euro per night for up to 10 metres) but the anchorage to the north. This place is probably the best I have ever visited - white sand, crystal water and good holding. Very crowded by day but it all clears at night, when you can get yourself into a prime position.

Ibiza island has many nice anchorages, San Antonio is good and don't believe everything the RCC pilot says about the noise and discos - it's much quieter than it was a few years ago. Ibiza town marinas are very expensive and crowded and the anchorage is supposedly closed, although hundreds stay there. Every now and then the pilot boat comes around and clears everyone out.

Nat

Visit site
Can only tell you there are lots of good calas to anchor in for months around Ibiza.
San Antonio is ok & has quite a few mooring bouys you can rent or just anchor for free, also has very good services. San Miguel & Portnaxt are pleasant calas as is Tarida & Codola. I spend three weeks around Ibiza every year & only go into port for fuel & water. I have many friends who spend up to 6 months just anchoring & cruising the area. If renting a berth is vital, you will not get anything cheap over the summer months. Thats if you can find one at all........Nat

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Don't disagree, but we found many of the more remote Ibiza anchorages to be subject to swell. We moved a few times from east to west side to get a quiet night's sleep. Very dependent upon mistrals to the north, this was 2005 when there were unusually large numbers of them. I would imagine that July 2006 was perfect whereas August would have been anything but.

wagenaar

Visit site
The North-side of Ibiza is very exposed to swell from the North. I had to leave Portinax twice due to swell and also the other calas are susceptable to swell. In my opinion the only place that is OK in all kinds of weather on the N-coast is San Antonio Abad.
On the N-coast of Mallorca only Puerto Soler is save.

wayneA

www.hitrapia.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
<<< There are also free buoys just outside Puerto Pollensa (near the Seaplane station) >>

I think you'll find that these are no longer free. We were charged for mooring to them in 2005, and not cheap. There is a constant threat that all free mooring and anchoring will be stopped in Pollensa itself, replaced by paying buoys, but AFAIK that has not happened yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but the new bouys near the sea plane station were free in July 2006 as they have been funded by EU money to protect the seagrass meadows - we spent 3 nights attached to them and the 'Guard' gave us a lovely printed leaflet explaining why they were free. Maybe you are thinking of other bouys in pollensa. There were also free bouys in Fornells, Menorca - again for enviroment/seagrass meadow reasons.

Our port/anchorage reports for 2006 can be found here. These include details on Balearic anchorages and the free bouys.

Cheers

Wayne

MedDreamer

Visit site
Nope the buoys I am talking about are definitely free. Are you confusing them with those in Formentor Bay, where the hotel is perhaps?

I used the buoys I refer to several times last year, including overnight. There is a warden but no charge. I believe they were laid the beginning of last year to discourage anchoring & protect the seabed.

Martyn

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Thanks to MedDreamer and Hitrapia for the update. It appears that these buoys have been laid since our visit. Sorry for any misinformation from me.

To Hitrapia - I cannot access either of your links. I don't think the problem is at my end as I seem to be able to see other sites that are normally available to me.

dbom

Well, thanks to all for the advice and recommendations. I've saved this thread in my fav's and the link to Hitrapia's website which is very useful and informative. Once again, thanks and should any of you outthere receive any further good info please feel free to forward it on - davy@pipland.fsnet.co.uk. Fair winds!

dbom

Hi there, me again! Just thought of something else, Does anyone have any experience of visiting an anchorage on the south side of Menroca by the name of Cala Galdana? If so, what's it like for staying at anchor for a couple of nights. I've been there a number times by land but this was around 8 years ago and i had nothing to do with boats and i was only 18! Thanks again for your invaluable help....Dave & Kate

MedDreamer

Visit site
I don't think you are allowed to anchor in there during the Summer but that could be wrong. Have you got the Imray pilot book that probably tells you. My copy is on the boat so i can't check

wayneA

www.hitrapia.co.uk
Went into Cala Galdana July last year. Big anchorage - there where 2 largish Motoryachts anchored when we went in. Wind got a up a bit and was blowing directly in (it is quite open) as we were anchoring so decided not to stay and head on to Mahon. Had friends following behind us that stoped there for a few nights (Aug 06) and said it was a nice achorage. Just watch the weather. Sorry haven't got more info than that, but may help?

To vyv_cox: Website seems to be up again - prob a temp problem with my service provider. Thx for letting me know.

Cheers

Wayne

Nat

Visit site
Youre not wrong. We were there in August last year & got battered that really bad night of Aug 7th when all the boats sunk. But on the whole its not too bad although one night at Cala Tarida the swell bent the snap shackle on my anchor damper. Were going a month earlier this year 24th June to 14th July hopefully no storms & less crowded anchoridges. Favourie bar is the sports bar Cala San Miguel. Tom the spanish barman had all the latest live concerts on dvd great music on big screens & no matter how much we drank the bill was never more than €20 each....Nat

dbom

I'll check up when i get home over the weekend (working away at the mo). We're just trying to gather as much info as we can, we.ve got the pilot books, paper charts, chartplotter, maxsea on the laptop but you just can't beat others first hand experiences....Thanks again all!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif