Autohelm Log Paddle Wheel

PRH

Visit site
Anyone know where to get a paddle wheel for an Autohelm log? (Sealine F43)

Also, can they be replaced from outside (boat out of the water)?

Looking at a new boat and the broker has said that to get to the log they will have to remove an exhaust and a battery box, 6 hours labour......

jfm

Visit site
Blimey! I doubt the wheel is sold as a spare part. you could buy a whole unit off ebay and cannibalise

The wheels might be removable/refitable from the outside. AFAIK it just snaps in. Terrible installation though if 6 hrs labour are needed to get access from the inside. I'm not the most diligent and even I clean mine 3-4 times a year, so it obviously needs to be accessible.

You sure the broker is right? It would be very strange for an exhaust to be in the way as they tend to be up off the engine room floor. Removing an exhaust to get to the log on a production boat like a Sealine sounds completely implausible to me

smileygirl

fuelock.co.uk
I had a sealine 410 (same F43) - to get to the log from inside all you had to do was remove the air filter on the port engine. Not easy to get at but at 5'7" it wasn't difficult. There is a battery box near the log but I wouldn't think you would need to take it out ???
Have a look in the engine bay and see if you can actually see it. Also the wheel can be removed from the sensor unit for cleaning so you may be able to just get a wheel or worst case a new sensor and just swop the wheel over.

enterprise

Visit site
Not related but you can buy just the paddle wheel for B&G log transducers.
About £16 if I remember but you will, if they are available need the transducer withdrawn from the through hull from inside the boat to replace it.

Agree it maybe easier to buy a new one & have it installed in a more accessible location.