Autogas for Cooker

Slowboat35

Visit site
Just got back from Greece where replacement gas bottles of the right size weren't readily available.
The chandler sent us to the local petrol station where they put 4-5Kg of autogas into our empty bottle in about ten seconds for about 3Eu.
Having just paid £18 for a calor 4.5Kg butane replacement this seems too good to be true - why doesn't everyone do this?
Autogas is apparently a 50/50 mix pf propane and butane.

What are the implications of this? Hazards?

Jabs

Visit site
The implications of this are that the companies who have been gouging the market for years will be found out!

I have legit refillable bottles on my BBQ, Boat, Motorhome and smile every time I drive past a 'bottled gas depot!

Tony.

VicS

Visit site
Just got back from Greece where replacement gas bottles of the right size weren't readily available.
The chandler sent us to the local petrol station where they put 4-5Kg of autogas into our empty bottle in about ten seconds for about 3Eu.
Having just paid £18 for a calor 4.5Kg butane replacement this seems too good to be true - why doesn't everyone do this?
Autogas is apparently a 50/50 mix pf propane and butane.

What are the implications of this? Hazards?

In theory the Calor butane bottles my not be suitable/ tested for the higher pressure

Calor bottles are the property of Calor and you are probably violating the terms of your agreement with Calor by filling with anything other than butane

sailorman

Visit site
In theory the Calor butane bottles my not be suitable/ tested for the higher pressure

Calor bottles are the property of Calor and you are probably violating the terms of your agreement with Calor by filling with anything other than butane
Calor butane & propane cylinders are the same, often repainted the other colour, as the paint sometimes shows through. I refill Campingaz as a 907 is the same price as 15kg Calor butane

DownWest

Visit site
This comes up frequently. Refilling adapters are available from camping outlets . Campingaz 907s cost about the same locally to exchange as our Carrefour 13kg bottles, so I fill them off the bigger ones .

DownWest

Visit site
How easy is that to do? My last 907 refill cost £27.50!
Wow! & I thought 907s were expensive here.. I just use an adapter and a bit of hose, tilt the big bottle so the liquid gas is transfered to the smaller. I don't get a normall 'fill' but that doesn't matter as it can ge done often. Plus over filling can be iffy with heat expansion...

colind3782

Visit site
Thanks for that. It all sounds a bit messy. As I normally use the microwave, maybe I'll stick with buying an overpriced 907 refill once every couple of years.
We don't cook at sea so we use the microwave and a two plate electric hob in the marina. We only really use the gas cooker if we (she!) wants to use the oven. The same 907 has lasted us years.

DownWest

Visit site
Another point, the gas bottle stowage on many yachts is only big enough for a 907 (I wonder why..) so the option of a bigger bottle is not available.

pawl

Visit site
hi, I agree with the general moan about the price of the Campingaz 907 cylinders, I'm now paying £36 and can't find them much cheaper anywhere near me. So refilling is looking very tempting.

Does anyone know if using "autogas" requires any alteration to the existing butane setup, i.e. regulator or cooker?

sailorman

Visit site
hi, I agree with the general moan about the price of the Campingaz 907 cylinders, I'm now paying £36 and can't find them much cheaper anywhere near me. So refilling is looking very tempting.

Does anyone know if using "autogas" requires any alteration to the existing butane setup, i.e. regulator or cooker?
i use propane & butane without issue, so a mixture should be no different

DownWest

Visit site
With British boats that should have never, ever happened, but understandable with Continental boats
Quite, I am thinking of the last few where I had to look at the locker. Bav 36, Jeanneau 29.2, but, the other was a Trapper. US design, built in UK, excusable in the 1980s..