ATYC Newsletter.

oldgit

Visit site
Some interesting registration numbers ?
An EA proposal to extend visitor moorings , must confess as serial " late arriver" a little tidy up and dredging/ removing some rocks at the xtreme end of many 24 H moorings could squeeze on a boat or two at each end.
A little tactical "plan" regards "Hotel boats" in there as well" .
It would appear that the Thames is lagging behind other waterways in encouraging boaters regards new registrations.
Feel sure that everybody on this forum took the time to contribute to the survey of course.

Has your club registered with the ATYC , recently a pretty pathetic 20 clubs had bothered to register, my club one of the offenders , over the entire 120 miles of the tidal and non tidal Thames.
Plans for couple of chargers for your Eboat as well and if there was some method of topping up my leisure batteries, rather than going into a marina
:D

Last edited:

Big John

Visit site
I am not sure how the EA are viewing this. Are they proud that they have increased registrations or wanting sympathy that they could only increase registrations by 195 overall?

I would also ask why did they not go further back in history to pre covid days when the registration figures were very much higher. I believe in excess of 8000 on the Thames.

Thats a lot of registration fees they have lost. Have boat owners not bothered to register or more likely sold up or moved to better managed water way?

Gibeltarik

Visit site
I am not sure how the EA are viewing this. Are they proud that they have increased registrations or wanting sympathy that they could only increase registrations by 195 overall?

I would also ask why did they not go further back in history to pre covid days when the registration figures were very much higher. I believe in excess of 8000 on the Thames.

Thats a lot of registration fees they have lost. Have boat owners not bothered to register or more likely sold up or moved to better managed water way?
Yes - over 8000 for a number of years up to 2019 - see attachment from a Thames Navigation Users Forum presentation.

The boats haven't left - the marinas are still creating new space and many have waitimg lists - as for getting a long-term lock mooring........forget it - so cheap that no-one leaves.

Attachments

• Screenshot (205).png
    Screenshot (205).png
    205.1 KB · Views: 7

Chris_d

Visit site
Interesting figures the big drop was 2020, many didn't register their boats that year as the river was effectively closed. Then then EA stopped sending out license plates and you had to print your own, that with the lack of any visible enforcement and lockies not challenging anyone, it is too easy to just not bother. I suspect we still have 8000 odd boats on the river but the missing ones are just not registered.

Big John

Visit site
Interesting figures the big drop was 2020, many didn't register their boats that year as the river was effectively closed. Then then EA stopped sending out license plates and you had to print your own, that with the lack of any visible enforcement and lockies not challenging anyone, it is too easy to just not bother. I suspect we still have 8000 odd boats on the river but the missing ones are just not registered.
A job for the EA Enforcement team. Do they still exist?

oldgit

Visit site
could you point out to us all where on that are all the boots on the ground jobs please?……..plenty of bullshit non jobs
Heres one.... its on the Medway.
Good luck with buying/renting a house and supporting family on £25K, as for being able to afford your own boat ?
Working Pattern 1
Full Time.
Environment & Sustainability, Operational Delivery
Salary Minimum 1
£25,042
Job description 1
We are fully committed to having an inclusive workforce to reflect the communities we serve. We welcome flexible working patterns for all our vacancies, including job share, so please clearly include any information regarding your preferred working arrangements on your application.
This exciting role within the Environment Agency protects and improves the environment for both people and wildlife. The Medway Navigation Officer plays a crucial role in maintaining the Medway navigation. They have responsibility for the day-to-day maintenance of the navigation to ensure we continue to deliver a first-class service for our customers as well as a 24/7 navigation incident duty response.
We are looking for someone to join our navigation team based at Allington Lock near Maidstone. Your role will encompass a variety of activities ranging from;
• Routine maintenance of navigation assets, such as inspections, greasing and painting.
• Routine management of our ten lock sites such as tree works, grass cutting and vegetation removal.
• River based work such as tree management and Silt removal.
• Working as part of a team to deliver small construction projects.
River patrols and checks.
• Engage with our customers, issue and check boat registrations. :)

Last edited:

Gibeltarik

Visit site
Sad really.

The Medway team are fantastic, enthusiastic and dedicated.

Pity they are so undervalued by their managers (but I suspect it is much higher up than that.

Well done the Medway team.

Time Out

Visit site
I have a friend who is one. He and his partner were both high up in a large estate agents earning v good Money.

Both gave it up ( different times) and now work in different roles at the EA. Yes they have a house thrown in.

oldgit

Visit site
Latest edition of ATYC newsletter suggests that one of the much objected to Hotel Boats has been towed below Teddington to be cut up ?

Other threads that may be of interest