At what point do you stop your self from dragging ?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I know it a funny question . But it goes with a funny story .
The other day we was having lunch in an anchorage with some friends has it happen someone who also contribution to YBW forum . We was anchored with two other boats , we been there quite a while when our friend said he thought one of the other yacht was dragging , and so it was , we gave out a warning and one guy got up look around for a while trying to work out what the fuss was about and why we where shouting at him , at this point the boat picking up speed then he Cooly walk to the bow and look at the chain , at which point the yacht is heading for another charter boat , the guy now sit down at the bow still looking at the chain and a second guy got up and looking at the view , stretches , some mins on the boat is mts from the other yacht and the people on the charter yacht looking puzzled but coolly watches on and both boats getting even close just about half a boat length they started the engine but in stead of driven forward they let the boat drift back until it now too late , both boat are now tangle in a love making position . One on top of the other , both being drag towards the rocks , at which point a fender came out one guy had the idea to put the boat into gear and drive forward and the second guy must had thought it was time to stop looking at his anchor chain and do something , has luck would have it the anchor came up and after some time the boat where separated as if some one has just thrown a bucket of cold water other two bonking dogs . No soon we thought the excitement was over , along come Mr Cooly and drop just in front of us we counter 20 second of chain about 5 mts in 6 mts of water has he boat got closer and closes to us another warning was given this time by not a so call Cooly skipper I think he got the int has he picked up his anchor and moved well away , this went on for a while , dropping the anchor in one end of the bay and just drag back until you reach the other end then start again , until at last some how his anchor held and they all went back to sun bathing .
The joy of stopping some where for a quiet lunch .

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I know it a funny question . But it goes with a funny story .
The other day we was having lunch in an anchorage with some friends has it happen someone who also contribution to YBW forum . We was anchored with two other boats , we been there quite a while when our friend said he thought one of the other yacht was dragging , and so it was , we gave out a warning and one guy got up look around for a while trying to work out what the fuss was about and why we where shouting at him , at this point the boat picking up speed then he Cooly walk to the bow and look at the chain , at which point the yacht is heading for another charter boat , the guy now sit down at the bow still looking at the chain and a second guy got up and looking at the view , stretches , some mins on the boat is mts from the other yacht and the people on the charter yacht looking puzzled but coolly watches on and both boats getting even close just about half a boat length they started the engine but in stead of driven forward they let the boat drift back until it now too late , both boat are now tangle in a love making position . One on top of the other , both being drag towards the rocks , at which point a fender came out one guy had the idea to put the boat into gear and drive forward and the second guy must had thought it was time to stop looking at his anchor chain and do something , has luck would have it the anchor came up and after some time the boat where separated as if some one has just thrown a bucket of cold water other two bonking dogs . No soon we thought the excitement was over , along come Mr Cooly and drop just in front of us we counter 20 second of chain about 5 mts in 6 mts of water has he boat got closer and closes to us another warning was given this time by not a so call Cooly skipper I think he got the int has he picked up his anchor and moved well away , this went on for a while , dropping the anchor in one end of the bay and just drag back until you reach the other end then start again , until at last some how his anchor held and they all went back to sun bathing .
The joy of stopping some where for a quiet lunch .

With my windlass 20 seconds of drop is about 10m of chain so, in 5 or 6 m of water even a Rocna (tm) like ours is going to be struggling just a tad. Perhaps he should trade in his Delta for a 1/2 ton concrete block!

I've looked up the "two bonking dogs" expression in my 1923 Admiralty Nautical Almanac (tm) but can find no evidence of such a term although it is alleged that Lord Nelson once use such a term during a Ugandan discussion with Lady Hamilton. Or was that about him "dipping his rope"? I'm easily confused :rolleyes:

Richard

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Very good :) I like it .
What ws really funny how the guy just sat on he bow and looked at the chain as if he couldn't except that he was dragging we couldn't belive he wasn't going to start up the engine and stop himself hitting the other yacht .

charles_reed

Visit site
In answer to Vic's post, ASAP.

But seriously, all the plough anchors (CQR, Delta, Kobra) have a lack of fluke area which under continuous load in soft bottoms makes them do a slow-drag. As proved by the Massachusett's Bay test the Fortress came out easily as having the best holding power/weight co-efficient. Notable were the poor showing of Manson and Rocna. Under Med anchoring condition the concave, roll bar anchors consistently perform better than most others.
Despite the faith that so many place in their "new-age, high-cost" anchors, there is no such thing as an anchor for all bottoms, rather a pressing need for more knowledge and less blind-faith on the part of anchorers.

PS I speak as someone who used a CQR for 20 years and only dragged thrice. I've also used most anchors (excluding the Box and other products of engineering nightmares). IMHO the Spade is the doyen for benchmarking anchors and the Knox will probably prove to have the best all-round performance.

PSS the Delta is the world's most popular anchor (which doesn't make it the best, just the cheapest) and to expect charterers to know how to anchor, takes credulity to new heights (or should it be depths).