Arran Lamlash Moorings

dunedin

Visit site
Anybody know how you can pay for use of the Lamlash moorings if don't get ashore?
I was there briefly last week - arrived late and departed early so didn't go ashore.
Generally can find a website with bank details to pay but drawn a blank so far.
On arrival I phoned a number listed on Arran YC website which said was for booking, but the oerson said that was out of date and no linger applied.

Buoy just said "fee to pay" but no clues how to do so.
NB I have saved bank details for lots of moorings on West Coast, and just paid for another island mooring, but Lamlash seems more complicated.

Any ideas?

mrangry

Visit site
I was there last week but was so busy just anchored. I believe the hut at the top of the rnli slip is the guy that owns them, I think he also runs the Holy Isle ferry.

mrangry

Visit site
Got this from facebook

The Visitor Moorings are owned privately by Jim Blakey who can be contacted by telephone 01770 700 463

cpedw

Visit site
Got this from facebook

The Visitor Moorings are owned privately by Jim Blakey who can be contacted by telephone 01770 700 463
That's the number in Welcome Anchorages too. There's also a daytime mobile 07970 771960.

dunedin

Visit site
Got this from facebook

That was the “out of hours” number listed on the Arran YC site listed for “booking moorings”. This was a new concept to me for Lamlash, so I phoned on approach and he said the site was wrong and don’t take bookings. He implied it was a wrong number and didn’t about mention payment so I assumed whomever answered was no longer involved.

ylop

Visit site
That was the “out of hours” number listed on the Arran YC site listed for “booking moorings”. This was a new concept to me for Lamlash, so I phoned on approach and he said the site was wrong and don’t take bookings. He implied it was a wrong number and didn’t about mention payment so I assumed whomever answered was no longer involved.
It’s weird - so many visitor moorings in Scotland seem to have intentionally made it hard to pay! If you are really keen you could call the number on the lamlashcruises website.

dunedin

Visit site
It’s weird - so many visitor moorings in Scotland seem to have intentionally made it hard to pay! If you are really keen you could call the number on the lamlashcruises website.
Actually most other visitor moorings are easy to pay electronically these days. I have a dozen or so set up as payees on my banking app. Lamlash seems to be an exception.

awol

Visit site
Some moorings like Carrick Castle provide a wifi connection, so no excuse for not paying. Others are in areas of poor or non-existent coverage e.g. Loch Scresort which has intermittent phone connection and no chance of any G, on O2 anyway.

GEM43

Visit site
As an aside, the operators of the viz buoys at Carradale (north) report that 40% of users of the buoys do not pay for their use of the mooring. Shocking behaviour.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Picked up a Lamlash Mooring last night.

Paid the bloke in the outboard motor garage, first unit after the RNLI, going up the ramp. He took the card payment for the owner of the moorings.

Discussed the situation with him. Basically elderly person owns the moorings, and isn’t interested in setting up online payment. The shop next to the outboard motor garage is the mooring owners shop. You get a receipt and tag for your boat, if you wish. Outboard motor garage and shop are actually one unit.

Eventually folks hope to swap for council moorings and online payment system. Plans for that depend on current owner, not expected soon.

ylop

Visit site
Eventually folks hope to swap for council moorings and online payment system. Plans for that depend on current owner, not expected soon.
Council moorings on Arran are FOC. That may, or may not, be desirable. I’m not sure why anyone local would prefer council over a private provision (that is not ridiculously priced etc)?

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Council moorings on Arran are FOC. That may, or may not, be desirable. I’m not sure why anyone local would prefer council over a private provision (that is not ridiculously priced etc)?

That’s what the bloke said. I looked at the Brodick moorings and they were in better condition than the private ones, from just a casual, limited observation.

Last edited:

ylop

Visit site
That’s what the bloke said. I looked at the Brodick moorings and they were in better condition than the private ones, from just a casual, limited observation.
Well it is true the council will have a rigid maintenance programme in place. But councils are under cash pressure, free moorings for yachties will be seen by some as a luxury. Setting up a payment system with no staff nearby to monitor will be viewed as a major hassle. Easy option in a council committee is just not to put them out - with zero notice. Nobody in the council will care if there’s X thousand of ground hardware unused. Of course a private provider could do the same, but might have more financial incentive to transfer ownership to a local mooring association, another individual etc.

I’ve never actually used the lamlash moorings because on the few occasions I tried they were full (Brodick had loads of space). Which tells me they are doing something right. Of course there is likely a load of local politics involved. Cynically I wonder if the local you spoke to wants council moorings because he can keep his boat on it free rather than the ecconomic benefit of Lamlash!

Mark L

Visit site
Anybody know how you can pay for use of the Lamlash moorings if don't get ashore?
I was there briefly last week - arrived late and departed early so didn't go ashore.
Generally can find a website with bank details to pay but drawn a blank so far.
On arrival I phoned a number listed on Arran YC website which said was for booking, but the oerson said that was out of date and no linger applied.

Buoy just said "fee to pay" but no clues how to do so.
NB I have saved bank details for lots of moorings on West Coast, and just paid for another island mooring, but Lamlash seems more complicated.

Any ideas?

In the past (under similar circumstances), I spent ages tracking down a phone number to call. The result was that I was told just to pay in person next time I visited, which I was happy to do.