Around the world, not.

itsonlymoney

Visit site
Watched Ellen's around the world programe last night. Very brave lady.

The question I have is..........
Why do they call it around the world when its around antartica and then back which is effectively half way round the world and then back again. Surely an around the world trip should be exactly that ie a true circumnavigation of the globe. I am sure there is a reason for doing it this way ?
Question two is this.............
Is there also another record held for a true circumnavigation ?

rwoofer

Visit site
In terms of distance she actually does more than the circumference of the earth. Also you can only do it down south because you cannot transit the northwest (over canada) and northeast (over russia) passages in one season.

So the route she took is on the only way you can go around the world!

itsonlymoney

Visit site
Brian R
Ooh....someone got out of bed the wrong side this morning.
If I knew the answer I would not have need to ask the question would I !!!
I will have a look on my daughters globe tonight and see if I can work a route out /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

rb stretch
Thank you for your informative reply. But I still say its not around the world as such. As hlb says surely you should have to come back on the same compass bearing than you set off.

Beagle

Visit site
Distance along the Equator: 360 degrees * 60 minutes = 21600nM.
Distance covered by Dame Ellen: 27348nM.

I think she did a bit more than just go around the world one time......

itsonlymoney

Visit site
Forgive my ignorance but sailing and sea is not my thing.
Are we saying that a true circumnavigation of the globe is impossible or just impossible from a uk starting point ?
Surely there is a way to do it, without the use of wheels cos that would be cheating /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

D

Deleted User YDKXO

You can draw a circle around the world at any point not just the equator but I guess the fact is that it is not possible to complete a perfectly circular circumnavigation without hitting land. She crossed every line of longtitude and completed more miles than the circumference of the earth so that counts in my book

Beagle

Visit site
That's a bit oversymplistic I'd say. It's a combination of crossing each and every meridian and "doing the distance". You could do a circumnavigation on the antartic by car in say... 2 minutes, but you wouldn't have covered the distance.....

Such a thing is hard to explain in words, anybody who has access to a globe could see what it takes.

itsonlymoney

Visit site
Just to clarify one thing.......
I am not making any comment regarding the fantastic thing that Ellen did. She is obviously a very brave and very intelligent woman and deserves all the praise she gets. So dont think for one second that I am having a go or making any derogatory remarks, cos I am most definatly not.
I just wanted too know if there is a way to truly go "around the world"
Ian

itsonlymoney

Visit site
Just been giving this some more thought and I would class a true "circumnavigation" of the globe rather than covering the same distance like hlb's car for instance to be.....I will try to explain but it may be difficult.

If you imagine a globe with the top most part 12o'clock being the start point then you have to pass through 3o'clock, 6o'clock, 9o'clock and finish back at 12o'clock. I appreciate that it will not be a straight line due to land and therefore you would cover many more miles than hlb's car has but thats my theory.
Am I being idealistic ?
Am I talking bollox ?
Is it possible ?
If so who is going to do it ?
Not me cos my boats too small, maybe tcm would be up for it ?
Or Brendan cos he likes bad weather ?
Or dave snelson cos his lads fully qualified now ?
Or Medreamer cos he is qualified in anchoring ?
Or jim44 just because ?
Who else and why ?
Ian

tcm

Visit site
I understand that the rules include that you must cross all lines of longitude, and any two antipodes.

Crossing the equator twice might be a rule, and i think also crossing your outbound track, but they can't be the only rules in addition to crossing the equator twice, otherwise yer could start and finish much nearer the equator, couldncha.

good enuf for me anyway, tho i admit thinking Oi! when the route was first explained...

MedDreamer

Visit site
Well if its a non stop circumnavigation my anchoring skills wouldn't really be much use. I think I would be pretty good at the the crying and whimpering in the Southern Ocean though /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I'm glad my not inconsiderable anchoring skills have been finally recognised on here - Its not anchoring I have the problem with its getting the bloody thing unstuck I haven't fully mastered yet.

What about a real epic adventure - a full circumnavigation of Windermere. You could even do it against the prevailing weather conditions. Must past all the way around Belle Isle though and pass Ferry Nab twice. Now there's a real challenge.
If you do it before 31 March you could set a record that will NEVER be beaten.
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif