ARE you properly registered on MARS

qsiv

Visit site
As I recall the MARS database is a function of the ITU, and doesnt really have anything much to do with safety issues around the UK.

FWIW My entry is broadly correct - the key to getting it up to date was registering an MMSI number, therafter it was OK.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
I think the question in my mind is WHY not use the same database, seems that one can have one thing on and the other something different, the updating is ad hoc with no certainty that it is or has been doen, therefore throwing doubt on all the databases. Noy good as you may have seen by reactions on here and scuttlebutt.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Pauline, you first take the name of a boat and then associate it with the port of registry. Rather like a christian name is coupled to a surname. So it doesn't make a mockery of registration if you think of it like that.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
MARS definition

You need to be careful about this. MARS in the UK is most commonly recognised as the Marine Accident Reporting Scheme, administered by the Nautical Institute.

See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nautinst.org/marineac.htm>http://www.nautinst.org/marineac.htm</A>

The MARS you are referring to -- Maritime mobile Access and Retrieval System -- is run as you have seen by the International Telecommunication Union.

I have checked the radio licences I would expect to see and the particulars are correct. They are not very detailed but then on a public free-to-view website that is probably a very good thing. The details do correctly identify the Radiocommunications Agency as the administrator of the licenses concerned.

There may be other issues at stake here too...I don't know without checking but the free-flow of data between nation states is a tricky issue so there might be legal issues involved. I'm sure, however, it would be worth checking with RA if your boat details do not show at all on ITU database.

With regard to non-unique names, a unique name is not a requirement of the radio licence. It is of ship registration, but only by port/country.

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Re: VEC...

Kim,

Sorry to disagree a little /forums/images/icons/wink.gif but I have the full details of the VEC manufacturing programme, and have fully researched it. It is Virtual Engineered Composites, highly automated and computersied process that has more precision than ever before, they can now build boats to tighter tolerances than ever before. VEC hulls are produced to a weight tolerance of less than 1 percent. It is a cleaner and more environmentaly process with styrene emissions 90% less than conventional fibreglass. These hulls (VEC) are a structually superior hull, they have no wood stringers, A fibreglass floor is INTERGRATED into every VEC boat. There are no loose fibregalss strands, no iconsistencies, just smooth finished fibreglass. Hope this helps.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com

Happy, if you are that concerned about VEC I will forward you details of how to pay for a subscription to the business magazines that fall under my remit, International Boat Industry and European Boatbuilder.

In those magazines you will be able to follow the technical aspects of VEC (not churned from a brochure); the technical aspects of other closed mould techniques that have been developed by boatbuilders before and after Genmar and you can even follow the story of how Genmar's Irwin Jacobs is using VEC as a stick to try and force the US government to insist on closed moulding for all boatbuilders in the US.

It would also tell you other interesting stuff, such as how Genmar is rationalising all of its production to have, say, a dedicated sportsboat factory producing boats of a set size and format for all brands in its portfolio -- in essence badge engineering.

VEC is one of many moulding solutions that is a lot cleverer than traditional moulding techniques, but it is unique and neither is it first to market. As just one example Nimbus were moulding close-tolerance mouldings a decade or more back. Another -- Conyplex has been close injection moulding large hulls for some years now.

In the US Brunswick has its own system. Unsurprisingly Brunswick and Genmar each claim theirs is better. Over here Sealine has been rolling out mouldings using its own (non-Brunswick) system (the hull of its RIB is one example) and loads more people at this game.

I could go on but that wasn't the point of my original post.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site

Kim, I only have the brochure and access to VEC websites, and that is the depth of my research. However the very simple and most obvious notable change in VEC to non VEC boats is that Non VEC Glastron boats have the marine ply decks, with glued down carpets (not a good idea, hard to keep clean, this is what I have), The new VEC hulls have the totaly intergrated GRP deck that is easy to wash out, this has pop in carpets. As I said it is only available on certain models, mostly the smaller boats. So that it is what I am talking about. These new VEC hulls with integrated decks have a lifetime guarantee, mine only has five years. If I was getting a boat to keep, I would most certainly go for a VEC hull or similar.

Cheers,

Alistairr

Visit site
You obviously don't like American boats very much, I try and buy british whenever i can#, but when you are looking for a sportsboat bowrider or cuddy then there is very little to choose from built in this country . that is why people like Happy1 and myself have had to buy American. I have bought a new Rinker, so tell me the worst then....

<hr width=100% size=1>CHEERS.

tr7v8

Visit site

This is just a case of a boat manufacturer using something that the rest of industry have been doing for years. Lotus pioneered this technique quite a few years ago I believe on the Elite & then the Excel. So it isn't new. Boat building has always been a bit cottage industry so now are beginning to use some industrial type moulding techniques.

Jim
------

<hr width=100% size=1>

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com

Okay, it's good that Glastron's VEC hulls have integrated decks but the manufacturer could, if desired, have gone that route using traditional moulding techniques. VEC is not required for that. Many sportsboats have carpet glued or press-studded to GRP, not ply.

That said you are going to see the rapid adoption of the VEC process across all of Genmar's smaller boat ranges and on smaller mouldings on its bigger boats too (eventually across everything). It's early days yet and as with all moulding techniques there are dangers with close mouldings if quality control isn't there but they will be produced to very fine tolerances and should help with some common problems, such as seating window frames on cutouts and marrying mouldings together.

<hr width=100% size=1>

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Caution please

A couple of notes of caution:

a) firstly I have removed a couple of sections of your post. They are unsubstantiated and not attributable, given that they hide behind your screen name. If you are prepared to name your marine company on the forum I will reconsider or we can leave it at that.

b) all boats in the UK are sold under sale of goods act and have to be fit for purpose. Whilst it has inadequacies born out of its inevitable path of numerous compromises through the European sausage machine the RCD does at least serve to give boatowners some benchmarks. One of the flip sides of that is that an allegation that a product is not fit for purpose is serious from a legal perspective. I'm not suppressing opinion but please keep that in mind when making posts.

Oh, and by the way, Sealine is not a part of the Genmar group to which Glastron belongs -- it is a part of the rival Brunswick group.

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Rinker's are good boats. People are too quick to have a down on Yankee boats, I can think of some UK boats I wouldn't feel safe on even if in the middle of the Gobi desert.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
And Glastrons?

crazyhorse

Visit site
How ya doing Happy,Manos and I are still comeing over for the weekend of the 22nd if it is still on.All this talk about Epirbs and risk assesment is a little concerning as were wanting to still be alive after the weekend outing, if thats ok? As we thought we were just launching the boat and seeing how she goes?

Looking forward to it,we can stay in a hotel near you but we need to book in so can you email us the plans and let me no whether I need to bring my survival suit and survival rations and maybe a water maker ?

See ya soon Me old matee providing you havnt worried yourself to death by then

<hr width=100% size=1> Chase your dreams and you will always be happy<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by crazyhorse on 01/03/2003 22:07 (server time).</FONT></P>

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
More moderation required?

Kim,

On most other boards, when a thread drifts (like in this case to VEC) the moderator moves the post to a new thread. Would this not be beneficial? Normally I don't care but in this case there are 2 if not 3 serious issues here i.e.

1) MARS
2) VEC
3) Glastron boats.

I wonder how many people stop posting messages or even reading them when a topic has got in a mess like this one.

Moving on to manners, if someone is researching a boat then IMHO opinion it's fair enough to say don't buy one cos they're not very good. However if someone says 'I've ordered such and such a boat' and it is your opinion that they're rubbish then saying so is really rather pointless and will only wind people up. Generally, if you've got nothing nice to say then don't bother.

BTW, I have recently spoken to Happy1/Grumpy1 on the phone and he is a most helpful chap and definitely more happy than grumpy.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.FairlineOwnersClub.com>Fairline Owners's Club</A>