ARE you properly registered on MARS

jimg

Visit site
This system seems to be a bit of a joke! My boat is not even listed, although we have a call-sign etc. Lots of the boats that I know of, have no info listed such as owner etc.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
EXACTLY my point, YOU think you are safe with all the data registered in case of an emergency NEXT OF KIN e.t.c BUT does it exist, is it correct, a lot are not. SO what are we paying for ? Incompetence somewhere /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

pistonbroke

Visit site
I really wouldn't worry about this too much, having repaired many Glastrons over the years, you would be very foolish to venture to far offshore in what I could only describe as a very poorly built boat. In fact, I would reccomend never going out of range of a loud hailer, let alone a mobile phone, therefore making your VHF licence totally unnecessary.

<hr width=100% size=1>

paulineb

Visit site
That's not very nice - he hasn't even taken delivery of it yet!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>Pxx

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.paulinebeddoes.co.uk/php-cgi/gallery>The Perils of Pauline in Pics</A>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
What is up with some of you sad people, are you jealous of something, if so I don't understand why or what. Your attitude is so childish and petty, perhaps you should concentrate on the seriousness of what we are discussing. I have taken time to research things, I don't mind sharing my findings, which I have done, a lot of people are interested, if you are not interested fair enoug it's your choice, go look at other threads, there are plenty around it is a big site, don't just make a fool of yourself here /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

Chris_d

Visit site
I\'ve stayed silent so far...

...but Happy1, given that you research things so well, what was the criteria that determined your choice of the Glastron, and a brand new one at that.

I wouldn't wish to sound as nasty as pistonbroke, but ermm.. it is rather what I would expect a "hairdresser" to choose.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BarryH

Visit site
Well theres only one Two Ladies, does that make sence! So all in all I'm either unique or sad. Details are wrong though!!

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Re: I\'ve stayed silent so far...

I bought it for my daughter who is a hairdresser, how did you know?

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Scary or what?

Chris_d

Visit site
what a coincidence...

I must be smarter than I realised... you jest surely?

Anyway so this isn't your boat then, are you going to get a more serious craft for yourself? after some research of course !

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Re: what a coincidence...

I have been looking at Sealine's, but I need to get some experience first. We have been looking at the S34 Open boat, with the twin KAD 43P / DP, gives a top speed of about 33 to 35 knots. We were surprised at the cost of the extra's, the ywanted about 4.5k for a radar and GPS plotter, nearly 2k for the heating, 2.7k for the bowthruster, and 1.2k for the teak flooring, even the macerator was 2.5k. So we will have to wait and see, the S37 is not that much more perhaps another 30k with the twin KAD 300/EDC dual props but you can get aircon in that (although that is about 13k extra!)

No hurry,

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site

If you're looking new the S37 has been replaced by the S38 which is based on the C39 hull (strange boat that one) I had a good nose around the S38 at the LBS and it's a well put together craft certainly on par with the Proncess 40 and just a bit more space all round than my S37.
The maserator is a £500 conversion from the hand pump toilet...an easy DIY job.
Can't see the point in teak decking at that price but the bow thruster is best put in by the manufacturers. The chartplotter that Sealine offer on the 37 was a mono thing. I opted to get a colour one fitted by an independant who Sealine were happy to have on their site on the Hamble before I took delivery.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pistonbroke

Visit site
Hey Grumpy, chill out. I didn't mean to rile you, but if as you like to put it had done your research, you would have realised that a Glastron is pretty low down the pecking order of quality craft. Probably a couple of places lower than S****ne. They may even share the same parent company.

Now when I say Glastrons are badly built, I am talking from experience. Not only have I repaired them, but I have several friends who have owned them, and they all feel the same.

Take a look at the majority of US built "budget" boats, and you will find the same fault, that is they don't glass the hull to deck. You really can't expect anything calling itself a Sportboat/cruiser to be suitable for our sea conditions if the hull is joined to the deck with self tappers, sometimes with a sealent or adhesive.

As an example, I was asked to repair a Glastron Bowrider a while ago, the deck to hull join had come apart at the first 4 foot of bow, split and folded inside out.
The join was made with pk's every nine inches. The only way to effect the repair was to completley remove the deck, repair and replace.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by kimhollamby on 27/02/2003 09:44 (server time).</FONT></P>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site

Looked at the C39 with Arneson Drive they do a twin Yanmar 6LY2 with 440hp, that gives between 39 and 45 knots, it came in a bit heavy at £260k plus the extras of say £25k. I think you need to know what you are doing to spend that dosf after just a few months of boating, or be totaly mad.

Anyway may get sea sick, and give up after a week, we will just potter about for a bit, I want my coastal skipper minimum plus a load of experience before I get anything bigger!!

paulineb

Visit site
If there are that many boats called 'Tommy', it makes a bit of a mockery of the registration system doesn't it?

<hr width=100% size=1>Pxx

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.paulinebeddoes.co.uk/php-cgi/gallery>The Perils of Pauline in Pics</A>

banus

Visit site
Hey pissy he,s like my swmbo can't ask her does she want a cup of tea without her ripping my head off. anyway, i just bought one of those searay things. Putting in the water Saturday. Should I put a few self tappers somewhere or do I have to send you down to Marbella with a fibreglass kit. I can't give it back cos i paid for it already. sensible advise please

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Don't worry at all, this boat is only for mucking about for the season to learn on, it cost £23k not £230k, the extra on the Sealine cost more than that. Christ you would think that it was for ever, put it this way you can't lose more than £23k even if you chucked it away at the end of the year, what's the problem? At least we have a warranty with it and hopefuly trouble free boating. These boats have been going for years, the hulls are well tested and get up on the plane quickly. The volvo engine 4.3ltr is well tested and has been around for a while, the boat does 50mph which is fast enough fo rme. I am aware of the new VEC hulls, but they only do those on a couple of the smaller boats, totaly sealed hulls and deck. The first year will be pottering up the medway river with the baby, and then I will be out for a blast the other way to the mouth of the river when I feel like it. It will do the job that we need it for, if we had a nice one we may decide to keep it, now that wouldn't be a good idea would it. Thank you so much for your concern.