Are you all mad in the Solent?

david_steward

Visit site
Last Sunday whilst returning from the Channel Islands we motored through the Solent from West to East, with a quick stop at Cowes for fuel.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT.

It was utter chaos, boats of all shapes and sizes all over the bloody place. Worse than the M25 on a Friday teatime.

I thought boating was about relaxation and getting away from it all. No chance at all in this neck of the woods.

What struck me most was the appalling manners and seamanship displayed by so many. Several times we were forced to take avoiding action when we were so obviously the stand on vessel. This from power and sail in equal numbers.

We witnessed some very large power boats on the plane almost scraping the paint off of some very small yachts. I was sure a collision was imminent at one point.

We do our boating from Ramsgate, when we leave harbour we are straight into the North Sea or the Dover Straight. There is no such thing as a quick trip in a sheltered ditch.

Probably the most criminal events we witnessed were going into Cowes for fuel. There was no wind but the wash appeared to be about Force 7 from all directions.

Where do people keep their brains?

Why are they sunbathing on the foredeck at 20 knots? Or on the foredeck of a tiny yacht? Not a lifejacket in sight, in very disturbed waters. Only lifesaving equipment seemed to be Ambre Solaire and a pair of Oakley sunnies.

What took the biscuit though, was the several instances of yachts towing dinghies full of kids without lifejackets. No worries at all about the Red Funnel ferry thundering past with a three foot wash. If the dinghy flipped they would all be DEAD.

I will not pretend to get everything right, but it was very shocking indeed.

No wonder you have so much boat rage and power v sail nonsense down there.

And it costs an absolute fortune to keep a boat there anyway.

You can keep it,

<hr width=100% size=1>We don't want a sports cruiser, totally impractical. Err ok then.

Dave S

VicS

Visit site
Yes we probably are.

But there are some quieter spots to be found and it is an area sheltered from the worst of the weather. If Chichester based, for example, you can spend a weekend or longer pottering about in bad weather without going out to sea.

There must be some reasons, other than shear madness, why it is so popular.

<hr width=100% size=1>

chas

Visit site
Could'nt agree more. What is even more amazing is that with all that activity on the water, the marinas seem still to be full of boats alongside. What would happen if they all went to sea beggars belief!

<hr width=100% size=1>

zefender

Visit site
I was sailing up the channel from St Vaast and from about 0800 onwards there was a constant stream of 'radio check' please requests to Solent CG. After what must have been more than 100, subsequent requests were barely readable due to a clown leaving the C16 carrier open (how do they do that?). There was then a Mayday call (seemingly a motor cruiser gently lolopping towards the beach with no engine and presumably no anchor either). Due to a minor underestimation of tidal streams off Cherberg (whoops!) we had the option of going back via Needles instead of Nab Tower. The radio traffic gave the answer - Nab it was to be, rather than fight through the Solent melee from West to East! But with bugger all wind and flat calm, it was a motery boat paradise.

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldharry

Visit site
If they all went to sea at once....?

Interesting question which I often wondered about. Chi Harbour alone has over 8,000 boats in it - multiply that by Portsmouth, Hamble, Cowes Lymington etc - the mind boggles!

Returning from the 1977 fleet review to Chichester did not require navigation - just follow the boats in front: there was a solid string of boats heading for Chichester, around 4 deep, and not more than a couple hundred feet apart from each other all heading home afterwards, and which continued for at least 3 hours - an amazing sight!

Also this weekend go and watch the Round the Island Race from somewhere like Bembridge bay, - again for six hours or so a solid stream of boats of all shapes and sizes all heading for the finish line.

Awesome - particularly when you remember they represent onlya small percentage of the total Solent boating community.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Dominic

Visit site
48 rescues ?

How do you know there were 48 rescues ?

Is there a web site that lists them - or were you working for the Coastguard/RNLI that day ?

Í would be very interested in knowing why all these plonkers needed rescuing.

<hr width=100% size=1>

brianhumber

Visit site
Noting the large numbers going seawards through Itchenor reach on a windless morning we went the other way and had great time peacefully chilling at anchor in the sun between Chi Marina and Dell Quay.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MADFISH

Visit site
Re: 48 rescues ?

It was on the local news.

On the Sunday it went from being a great day to a SW7 in the afternoon. That on an spring ebb tide (wind against) is bound to cause some agro. I don't believe it was well forecasted. I am not sure as I was trimming the garden at the time....

<hr width=100% size=1>

Observer

Visit site
Re: 48 rescues ?

MCGA press release states "31 incidents". This includes anything from a pleasure boat in "trouble" to somebody cut off by the tide or falling down a cliff. Can't draw good conclusions, imo, without better data.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ecudc

Visit site
I wonder if there is a correlation between bad sailing and bad driving. I was driving back from Emsworth two sundays ago and saw some unbelievable driving. No-one towing their kids though.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Cornishman

Visit site
For those members here not familiar with the hilarious BBC Radio 4 programme I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue they were playing a round of New Definitions a couple of weeks ago:

Insolent: somebody drowning near the Isle of Wight

Seems to fit that area very well!

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
Barking and proud of it!

Seriously, I've been sailing there for many years and don't find it as bad as you suggest. I agree that knowledge of colregs isn't exemplary, and I'm used to giving way even when I'm stand on - it doesn't particularly bother me.

What does get me is the incessant chat on ch16 with kids doing radio checks and all the 'Buttercup calling Strawberry' crap. If you listen to ch11 (QHM) or 12 (Southampton VTS) you'll hear how the pros do it with the minimum of fuss.

You need to keep a sharp lookout, and I generally helm from the leeward rail so that I can see under the genoa. All in all I find it quite good fun, but do enjoy coming back from Yarmouth round the peaceful back of the IOW on occasions.

Winter sailing is a lot of fun, as is mid-week except for school holidays.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
Re: No more so than George W Bush. nm

Like this you mean?

_39169244_203bush2.jpg
_39169248_203bush1.jpg

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by tome on 17/06/2003 17:27 (server time).</FONT></P>