Are you a captain or a mate

Wansworth

Visit site
Many of you are captains of industry or retired or have run your own businesses and are used to taking important desisions quickly and taking the responsibility.personally I feel I am more a second in command able to assist the chief or even step into his shoes.This weekend I should imagine the round the island race was a good testing of taking the right descision and being in command as in fine weather most of us can muddle along but in circumstances of demanding situations not nessarily at sea some one has to take control.Suprisingly quite ordinary non leaders can take responsibility if its thrust up on them

johnalison

Visit site
My wife took exception when a club-mate's wife described her time on board with us in a club magazine and referred to me as having shouted orders. I don't claim good captaincy skills but, as my wife knew, I don't shout. I am not good at taking orders but can cope with command so long as my crew are smaller than me and represent no risk.

Stemar

Visit site
On my boat, sole master under God - with my wife's permission to say so.

Yes, I'm the captain, but she's the admiral. She has the final word on when and where we go, but it's my job to get her there or explain why we can't.

On someone else's boat, I'd regard normally myself as mate. I obey orders, but don't hesitate to make suggestions if I think there's a better way. That could involve taking command if the skipper's incompetent and getting us into a bad situation. I don't care if that means he will never have me aboard again - if they're that bad, I don't want to anyway.

The one position you don't want me in is ship's cook. It winds Madame up a treat when I say it, but it's true. I've been married far too long to far too good a cook to be any use in the galley.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
And if you are a captain do you wear one of these

captains hat.jpeg
or one of these?

Nelsons hat.jpg

Personally, on my own boat I'm the skipper on every other boat I am a member of the crew and ALWAYS wear a tea cosy.

39985659263_bd42086e96_c.jpg

Wansworth

Visit site
The first ship I joined was a dredger in Shoreham.Much to my surprise I found half the crew trying to fix the tv Ariel……..no uniforms in sight so I had to ask who was the skipper……..I signed on as cook/deckhand and was probably the best dressed man aboard with my new jeans and pulley😂