Are RORC races long enough?

Concerto

Visit site
I ask this question as in the 30 years since I gave up racing, boats have become larger and faster. This means the boats are no longer racing for as long as in the past and tides become less relevant. Take the Fastnet Race, it used to be considered the peak test in the RORC calendar, however some boats are completing it in under 2 days. So not really a test of men and yachts. To allow a longer course for larger and faster craft seems sensible. So why not make it to the Fastnet and then round Ireland to Plymouth?

flaming

Visit site
I ask this question as in the 30 years since I gave up racing, boats have become larger and faster. This means the boats are no longer racing for as long as in the past and tides become less relevant. Take the Fastnet Race, it used to be considered the peak test in the RORC calendar, however some boats are completing it in under 2 days. So not really a test of men and yachts. To allow a longer course for larger and faster craft seems sensible. So why not make it to the Fastnet and then round Ireland to Plymouth?

I suspect that the majority of the fleet, still heading for the rock in their 35-45 cruiser racers would somewhat dispute your assertion that it is not really a test of men and yachts.

That the big boys can blast round the course in barely enough time to have any stubble does nothing to detract from the task facing the average fleet. And the big boys have plenty of other courses - Transatlantic, Trans pacific etc that are longer for them to stretch their legs.

sarabande

Visit site
I read recently of boats having to abandon even short RORC courses because the crews had to be at work on Monday morning Boats are faster, more demanding to sail, and I bet they never have three of four hampers of chilled steak sandwiches and other Michelin goodies brought on board by a a grateful and gastronomophile skipper.

Coming back from the Rock on a Brazilian AC boat in the 70s, we took time off for me to catch a few mackerel and treat the crew to a fry up :)

savageseadog

Visit site
There's been a steady trend away from offshore racing to round the cans. Socio economic factors to blame in part and people aren't used to discomfort.

flaming

Visit site
There's been a steady trend away from offshore racing to round the cans. Socio economic factors to blame in part and people aren't used to discomfort.

You're joking aren't you? Offshore is the only thing growing, and especially double handed offshore. Round the cans fleets have been on a steady decline for years, but the fastnet was over subscribed within 4 minutes of entry opening!

Andrew E

Visit site
It would be nice to see something a bit longer around the UK and Ireland, taking in Rockall aswell. IMOCAs, VO65s all racing together.