App type pilots

Jeva

Visit site
There are plenty of charts and nav programs available for most digital phones, pads and PC's but does anybody know of any pilots that operate in the digital world?
I'm sick and tired of those paper types especially Greece where the islands don't line up to the pages.:ambivalence:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
CruisersWiki is pretty comprehensive. Unfortunately it is tedious in the extreme to add information, so few do. Cruising Association's Captain's Mate is not exactly a pilot but is comprehensive with recent information.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
What's mainly missing from your current provisions? Some categories to think about:.

Hard stuff: passage making; approach pilotage; marina/harbour layout; local regulations
Soft and changeable stuff: boat support (wintering and repair); crew change access; people support (food, water, medical); local attractions;

The CA Captain's mate, backed up with CA forum questions/answers for individual sea areas, fills most of the "soft and changeable" needs not provided by charts. Though charts have obvious limitations in the north Baltic and river deltas!

Jeva

Visit site
What's mainly missing from your current provisions? Some categories to think about:.

Hard stuff: passage making; approach pilotage; marina/harbour layout; local regulations
Soft and changeable stuff: boat support (wintering and repair); crew change access; people support (food, water, medical); local attractions;

The CA Captain's mate, backed up with CA forum questions/answers for individual sea areas, fills most of the "soft and changeable" needs not provided by charts. Though charts have obvious limitations in the north Baltic and river deltas!

Seems to me that a pilot linked to the digital charts would be a decent upgrade.

For example: cruising along an unknown coast, "That looks a nice place, what's it say in the pilot?" Dig out the paper pilot, "What's that place called?" Check on chart, "Not much and it's out of date", "What's it say on Wiki Cruiser?" etc etc.

One click would be easier, more up to date and faster.

Maybe I should do it myself?