Anyone wish there was a PBO for mobo's?

PCUK

Visit site
As the title.
Owners are constantly asking 'how to' questions here and being given spot-on advice so it would seem that there is a call for a hands-on DIY magazine for mobo owners.
MBY is aimed at the owner who doesn't need to know how to repair things and MBM is again moving towards being son of MBY so there isn't anything for the practical mobo man apart from Boatmart which "knows its place" and successfully stays there.

trouty12

Visit site
It's a good idea and I would buy it (subject to content).

The problem would be finding enough original and interesting content. MBM are quite good at covering practical projects, albe it on a had hoc basis.

Is there commercial "space" to make a new mag' viable?

Visit site
It's a good idea and I would buy it (subject to content).

The problem would be finding enough original and interesting content. MBM are quite good at covering practical projects, albe it on a had hoc basis.

Is there commercial "space" to make a new mag' viable?

I think it's a great idea, but with a relatively tiny market being fought for by several mags already we may find we simply spread the butter even thinner between them.

lovezoo

www.myspace.com
I thought PBO now did mobos as well? Sure they were doing articles last year?

It is practicle BOAT owner after all, not exclusively rag n stick
They were certainly doing mobos as well (albeit in a half-hearted way) last time I looked. Problem is PBO is really about flappy sheets and bits of string (I think maybe they call them the same thing?) and not about gas-guzzling mobos...

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I always thought PBO was aimed at all boaties too. But I can see why people might not think so.

navigation, most equipment & engines are all common, as are cruising stories, catering & pilotage info. Only stuff you don't want is the sailing, rig & tuning info. Oh, and maybe the posh yot reviews.

Whitelighter

Visit site
Whiel were are on things we would like

I wish Motor Boat & Yachting still did what it said on the tin:

Motorboats and Yachts.

I have an interest in both, but 4 mags a month is way to much, so I limit myself to the mobo stuff and peruse the raggie bits in my local WH Library

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Not enough pictures of powerboats and thinly clad nubile young women in PBO for mobos, that's most likely the problem! :)
Lets face it would there much to talk about with a magazine for such purpose?

If you want salacious material, buy the Nudes of the World, or whatever.

I think you are missing the point as most of you are probably underwater lighting & illuminated signwriting nobs who live in marinas. PBO is do-it-yourself, swinging moorings & mud berths. It's displacement mobos & converted lifeboats - or it was when it was established.

TopDonkey

Visit site
I think there is a place in the market for a magazine like you describe, i own a motorboat and despite looking through all the different boating magazines in the newsagents each month, there isnt one that is hands on practical enough for a diy type motorboat owner, and as such, i dont bother buying any of them !.

If such a magazine springs up, post on here to let us know as i for one will be first to get my subscription started.

Sneds

Visit site
I agree!
Maybe MBM could do more practical things and Boatmart look for some new ones and stop repeating "take along a non-boaty friend"
Anyone wanna fix my bog? :)

benjenbav

Visit site
Er, I think there's a fairly limited market amongst owners who are spending £100 on fuel to get to and from the pub in their mobo for articles on how to save £10 by re-using some Lucas Prince of Darkness switchgear out of a BL Allegro.

TopDonkey

Visit site
Er, I think there's a fairly limited market amongst owners who are spending £100 on fuel to get to and from the pub in their mobo for articles on how to save £10 by re-using some Lucas Prince of Darkness switchgear out of a BL Allegro.

Thats just being silly, its not about trying to reuse car parts in a boat, its information like renewing skin fittings, removing skin fittings and how to repair the hole left, how to winterise a diesel engine, how to change the coolant, how to flush out your diesel and freshwater tanks, how to tackle the diesel bug etc.., things like that, and i'm not talking about just 3 or 4 pages of a 70 page magazine, there needs to be a whole magazine dedicated to the market of the small boater on a diy budget, or who prefers to do their own jobs on a boat rather than pay someone else to do it for them, Take for example, there was someone asking on here about getting their seacocks changed, how about an article that shows you how to service the different types and if they do need changing, how to change them, what sealant to use when changing them, the types and number of jubilee clips to use etc.., theres a whole load of information and i believe a big market for such a magazine in the UK

Last edited:

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
If you want salacious material, buy the Nudes of the World, or whatever.

I think you are missing the point as most of you are probably underwater lighting & illuminated signwriting nobs who live in marinas. PBO is do-it-yourself, swinging moorings & mud berths. It's displacement mobos & converted lifeboats - or it was when it was established.

I get PBO on an ad hoc basis when there is an article that looks to be worth keeping. Having said that, MBMs "fix yer dunny" article last month was exactly the article at exactly the time I needed it.

Jedi's heads compartment is now civilised again!

neale

Visit site
Thats just being silly, its not about trying to reuse car parts in a boat, its information like renewing skin fittings, removing skin fittings and how to repair the hole left, how to winterise a diesel engine, how to change the coolant, how to flush out your diesel and freshwater tanks, how to tackle the diesel bug etc.., things like that, and i'm not talking about just 3 or 4 pages of a 70 page magazine, there needs to be a whole magazine dedicated to the market of the small boater on a diy budget, or who prefers to do their own jobs on a boat rather than pay someone else to do it for them, Take for example, there was someone asking on here about getting their seacocks changed, how about an article that shows you how to service the different types and if they do need changing, how to change them, what sealant to use when changing them, the types and number of jubilee clips to use etc.., theres a whole load of information and i believe a big market for such a magazine in the UK

As the person responsible for much of the practical content in MBM I feel I should stick my 2 cents in.

We are certainly looking to concentrate more on the practical/DIY content of MBM over the next few months and we have some plans in place for two new practical series with the first kicking off in the July issue. The second will start shortly after.

As someone who does all my own fixing/servicing/upgrading on both my boats, yes I know I must be mad, I like to think that I am pretty aware of what a 'Practical' motorboat owner would like to read about.

Having said that, I am never going to be able to turn MBM in a Practical Motorboat owner magazine and neither should I. We also need to cater for those that are more hands off, are in the market for a new boat, would like to read about cruising destinations etc etc.

We do have a very varied readership at MBM and try to provide something for everyone every month.

Looking at the sort of jobs mentioned in the wish list above, I can honestly say that we have probably written about all of them at one time or another. Some of them, like winterising, get a mention almost yearly.

I do understand the frustration of somebody new to motor boating who wants to absorb everything all at once. We would like to think that a regular reader of MBM will, over time, come to learn about, and understand, all the different types of maintenance and jobs that can be undertaken by a DIYer.

As an avid follower of these here forums, I do read just about everything that is written and do take on board ideas and suggestions.

If anyone feels strongly about the contents, or lack of, in MBM, particularly the practical stuff, please feel free to drop me a PM.

gjgm

Visit site
and of course there alot of books for the really keen, Neale. Its not like you cant find an answer if you look.