Anyone still cruising ?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
October is the start of our Autumn cruising season ,
This year we starting it in Malta ,
With 8 weeks to go before Velcro our boat to a pontoon for three months ,
It's time to work out a plain .
The islands of lampedusa and Pantelleria are looking favourable.
Anyone else still cruising ?

GHA

Visit site
Of course - why wouldn’t we❓

:encouragement:

Though actually living up a ladder again in a boatyard for a little while.

nzJCILT.png

Last edited:

dslittle

Visit site
Yes we are AND we are not in the nice warm Med!!! Just about to make enquiries for a winter berth before the rain sets in so we can take the oilies off... Enjoy your time out there.

Last edited:

crisjones

Visit site
October is the start of our Autumn cruising season ,
This year we starting it in Malta ,
With 8 weeks to go before Velcro our boat to a pontoon for three months ,
It's time to work out a plain .
The islands of lampedusa and Pantelleria are looking favourable.
Anyone else still cruising ?

We are still out and about, now in Montenegro. We have just had to endure a night of 25knt gusting 40knts winds from the N but our anchorage off Risan is nice and secure. Weather for next week looks good with light winds and temps up to mid 20's, hardly any boats around so the best time of the year!!

Be careful around Lampedusa and Pantelleria, when we visited Lampedusa we found the seabed all around the Island to be very rocky and capable of "eating" anchors, I guess Pantelleria will be the same since they are both relatively young volcanic Islands. We noticed that most locals preferred a large stone with a hole drilled through it as an anchor!!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We are still out and about, now in Montenegro. We have just had to endure a night of 25knt gusting 40knts winds from the N but our anchorage off Risan is nice and secure. Weather for next week looks good with light winds and temps up to mid 20's, hardly any boats around so the best time of the year!!

Be careful around Lampedusa and Pantelleria, when we visited Lampedusa we found the seabed all around the Island to be very rocky and capable of "eating" anchors, I guess Pantelleria will be the same since they are both relatively young volcanic Islands. We noticed that most locals preferred a large stone with a hole drilled through it as an anchor!!

We had our share of wind and rain with thunderstorm throw in ,
two week not being able to move , but it started to look good now for a while .
Your right about Lampedusa , last time there we had to dive to get our anchor back .
Enjoy you stop over in Rocella, it sound as if there going to be quite a few there .

Yngmar

Visit site
Of course we are, although we're about to turn around here in Ayamonte and (very) slowly move backwards to Albufeira for a winter contract, boat maintenance, etc.

The weather dial here is currently stuck on "endless summer". Always sunny, no rain, rarely a cloud, 25-30°C daytime, no less than 17°C at night, winds mostly light with the odd afternoon breeze. It actually got too hot for us up the Guadiana (didn't fancy swimming in the mucky river full of jellyfish, although the scenery was very nice). The only signs of autumn are the shorter days and weaker solar output.

capnsensible

Visit site
The Canaries, as is usual at this time of year, is packed. As many yachts as ever preparing for transat and beyond. ARC flags everywhere, plus hundreds more waiting to set off on the great adventure.

An all year round kinda place, no one lays up. Scorchio!

Pasarell

Visit site
I'm in China until the end of next week then back to Lefkas and hopefully a good few weeks left before I tie up for the winter. Been a great if unadventurous first year for me but 10 weeks here since mid July have not helped to make it feel like a full season of cruising

Ludd

Visit site
I'm in Madeira, after cruising from Algarve in March and circumnavigating all the Canaries bar El Hierro before battering my way north fromLa Palma to here.
Just finished mending everything I broke and planning hdg back to Algarve on Tuesday after crew flies in. Looks like no wind, so donk time!

Visit site
I definitely am . Have been, year round, for decades. A nice warm wheelhouse and wood stove make the outside temperature irrelevant. Hunting season, a beautiful time of year!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Sadly not, sat in the same place due to Ill helth. Enjoy the rest of the session! Did you get that fridge sorted Vic?

Hi Paul
Still pissing about with it , had it vacuum out in Sicily and re gassed , worked for a while then started to play up again .
We now in Malta so I had another guy look at it , he suggest I waited to I get into the Marina in Dec and he remove it and take it to his workshop and give it a good going over , so that's the plain now ,
''Tis going to be an expenses winter , gen playing up , fridge playing up , and plotter stoped working .
In the words from the boys of the black stuff "Give us a job mate :) "

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Yes, but getting an early start on some end of season work. Wet yesterday with 25kts and odd 40kt gust, 12C overnight in Vlikho. Will head for Preveza soon to get flight home at end of Oct. We would have stayed till Nov. but that would mean travelling via Athens. Weather looking better for a while but still usual low of about 12C at night. Not exactly a hardship. :D

Carmel2

Visit site
Hi Paul
Still pissing about with it , had it vacuum out in Sicily and re gassed , worked for a while then started to play up again .
We now in Malta so I had another guy look at it , he suggest I waited to I get into the Marina in Dec and he remove it and take it to his workshop and give it a good going over , so that's the plain now ,
''Tis going to be an expenses winter , gen playing up , fridge playing up , and plotter stoped working .
In the words from the boys of the black stuff "Give us a job mate :) "

That starting to sound expensive, get your best frock on and off into the night with you:rolleyes:

Garold

Visit site
Yes, to the end of October in south Mallorca. And it’s still sunny here with mid twenties each day. Chilly at night though.

In Andratx in the PortsIB berths, we just paid 63euros for four nights with electric and water - winter berthing rates can be such a bargain if they kick in early.

Sadly, last week we paid about 65 euros in Ibiza at Sant Eulalia marina for one night! Expensive when all we really needed was water and a food shopping trip. (A water maker would soon pay for itself in Ibiza during the summer.)

Garold

Carmel2

Visit site
Yes, to the end of October in south Mallorca. And it’s still sunny here with mid twenties each day. Chilly at night though.

In Andratx in the PortsIB berths, we just paid 63euros for four nights with electric and water - winter berthing rates can be such a bargain if they kick in early.

Sadly, last week we paid about 65 euros in Ibiza at Sant Eulalia marina for one night! Expensive when all we really needed was water and a food shopping trip. (A water maker would soon pay for itself in Ibiza during the summer.)

Garold

What's the length of you boat if you don't mind me asking??? And what online weather do you look at in Mallorca????