Anyone need a padlock?

Stemar

Visit site
I'd check before buying, but I read it to mean you're buying X padlocks, all of which have the same key. I follow you in and buy another set and my locks will all have the same key, but different from yours.

Those locks aren't particularly high security, but you only need a 50 -100 different keys to make it unlikely that the local casual thief will have the right one in his pocket. (He's far more likely to have a hammer, which will deal quite adequately with most padlockable items on a boat).

VicS

Visit site
Cheap but not sure about the one key idea!

Keyed alike locks are handy where you have two ( or more) locks on the same entry or on similar lockers etc.

I have a pair of " keyed alike" padlocks on my companion way ... it means that the same key fits both so no frigging about with two different keys.

By contrast I have different locks on my cockpit lockers. Such a PITA that I have had to colour code the keys for port and starboard lockers.

The disc locks are said to be more secure than ordinary style padlocks because they do not have shoulder that can be whacked with a hammer to break them open.

I also have keyed a like locks on the house and garage

It the old days, pre remote locking systems, the same key usually fitted drivers door, passengers door and boot/ tailgate on cars

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
I'd check before buying, but I read it to mean you're buying X padlocks, all of which have the same key. I follow you in and buy another set and my locks will all have the same key, but different from yours.

That's how keyed-alike locks normally work, but I seriously doubt that Screwfix's stock handling system is capable of that. They're selling the locks individually, so if you buy X of them and they're all the same, I think all the others on the warehouse shelf must be the same as yours too.

As you say though, unlikely that a casual thief will have the key.

Pete

pmagowan

sites.google.com
It all depends. You can buy sets which are keyed alike where each set uses a different key but for ones where you can choose how many locks you want then there will be large sets held by the vendor and you can have the same key as anyone else who buys from the same set. They rotate sets so that the liklihood of anyone having the same key as you is smaller. There should be anumber on your padlock to say which set it comes from. Less secure than other types but not really a problem since theves have easier methods of breaking a lock than carrying around a massive wad of keys in the hope that yours are from the same keyed alike set.

VicS

Visit site
That's how keyed-alike locks normally work, but I seriously doubt that Screwfix's stock handling system is capable of that. They're selling the locks individually, so if you buy X of them and they're all the same, I think all the others on the warehouse shelf must be the same as yours too.

As you say though, unlikely that a casual thief will have the key.

Pete

When I have seen keyed like locks, be they padlocks or other types of lock, they have been in sets of two, three or four with the same key, but a different key to other packs,

prv

Visit site
When I have seen keyed like locks, be they padlocks or other types of lock, they have been in sets of two, three or four with the same key, but a different key to other packs,

Indeed - but Screwfix are selling these singly.

Pete

pmagowan

sites.google.com
Thats crazy but I have just noticed the price

It is very common. It allows you to buy a large number of keyed alike padlocks. It really does not affect security much as the liklihood of a thief carrying your key is very small and security is only ever as good as the lowest common denominator which is more likely than not either a) the thieves boot, b) a hammer or c) some bolt croppers. I think a master set of keys for every keyed alike lock is down near z).

Tim Good

Visit site
They rotate sets so that the liklihood of anyone having the same key as you is smaller. There should be anumber on your padlock to say which set it comes from. Less secure than other types but not really a problem since theves have easier methods of breaking a lock than carrying around a massive wad of keys in the hope that yours are from the same keyed alike set.

Quite right. In fact since this thread started we (Nothing But Padlocks) gave some locks to PBO to test for the November issue.

But yes we rotate keyed alike locks so it varys those in circulation. The best thing an end user can do is buy from a larger known brand as the number of KA sets they produce is larger. Smaller name brands sometimes only have 2 or 3 for a particular model!

As for Screfix, B&Q etc I would try and avoid buying keyed alike locks from them in all honesty as there is no way of telling if your getting a "pack" which you'll never be able to add to in the future, or a very highly circulated key number.

Without trying to plug our company here but in our case we record every keyed alike order allowing customers to buy again more keys or locks in the future.