Anyone lost an old ‘Gul?

QBhoy

Visit site
True story. Had a 40+ on the transom of a Tideway dinghy many years ago. Motoring in the Norfolk Broads when I hit a submerged log or something. The Seagull jumped up in the air and fell into the water. It was secured with a short rope but long enough to allow it to totally submerge. I remember looking over the stern and clearly saw bubbles coming from the exhaust before it stalled.

I pulled it up by the rope and re-fitted it on the transom. I did not think it would start and sat for a few minutes pondering a long row back to where the car had been left. Rowed for, perhaps, half an hour and just out of curiosity thought I would give it a pull. Yes, it started first pull! An engine that had been totally immersed whilst running, can you imagine a modern motor doing that? It ran happily all the way back, never missed a beat. Truly remarkable!. Sadly some ratbag stole it a few months later. But that’s when my affection/addiction for Seagull outboards started I think.
You sure got to admire them for this and many other things. Their simplicity above all. Only down fall I’m assuming might be their optimistic HP claims perhaps. I’m fully expecting my 40+ to be a little asthmatic in comparison to my Malta or merc 2.5/3.3…but hey…always wanted one and now I have one. Maybe I’ll just keep it for show in the garage and not disappoint myself ?

QBhoy

Visit site
I find my Forty Plus to be about the same as my Honda 2.3, but I don’t “get on with” the Honda.
That’s not so bad and good to hear. Yeah..agree with you on the other thought too. I had a brief spell with a small 4 stroke…never again. Just terrible things.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I’ve just been reading an account on the FB page of a club I belong to describing a near escape after the writer was unexpectedly pitched overboard from his dinghy. He hadn’t fitted the kill cord.

That’s the only downside to the Seagull that I can think of - there’s no kill cord. I don’t see how to do an electric one but it ought to be possible to do something with the throttle?

GrandadPig

Visit site
I’ve just been reading an account on the FB page of a club I belong to describing a near escape after the writer was unexpectedly pitched overboard from his dinghy. He hadn’t fitted the kill cord.

That’s the only downside to the Seagull that I can think of - there’s no kill cord. I don’t see how to do an electric one but it ought to be possible to do something with the throttle?
I think a kill cord would be really easy to fit. Just interrupt the LT wire in the magneto and fit a kill switch in line.

GrandadPig

Visit site
You sure got to admire them for this and many other things. Their simplicity above all. Only down fall I’m assuming might be their optimistic HP claims perhaps. I’m fully expecting my 40+ to be a little asthmatic in comparison to my Malta or merc 2.5/3.3…but hey…always wanted one and now I have one. Maybe I’ll just keep it for show in the garage and not disappoint myself ?
Regarding horsepower. Seagulls were designed to push displacement boats, never planing craft. I have used a 40+ on my long sold Westerly 21 when the engine wouldn’t start. Got me home on both occasions although not a lot of wind or tide against us. On my 14’ heavy ballasted dinghy it is every bit as fast, if not faster, than the little Honda it replaced. I recently bought a Featherweight for my Avon Rover tender and a big 102 for the gaffer. Not used either yet.

DownWest

Visit site
Way back, '63?, we used to use a Century plus LS as the aux on our 27ft cruiser. After a very windy night beating against the Alderny race, we made the harbour. As we were late by a couple of days, rest of family were concerned. I dropped off two crew in our rigid tender and was leaving the beach in still very windy conditions. Dropped the clutch in a bit quickly to clear off and the long shaft pulled the transom under and dunked her. Quick bit of reckoning and after some furious rowing, I did a ferry glide back to the boat. Got a rocket from father, as if I had missed, the next stop was the open sea. Though, after he had changed the fuel in the 'Gul and she revved away happily, he did say it was nicely judged....

Since then, had several examples. If anybody is interested, I have a Silver Century LS in the shed. Split block (arrived that way) free for collection.