Any recommendations for wheels for an inflatable, please?

NealB

Visit site
I've got a little Zodiac C250 as a tender, and I'm thinking of fitting some wheels to the transom.

Main use will be to 'wheelbarrow' it from dinghy rack to jetty and return.

First bit is roughish concrete, then the ramp is old wooden planks with variable gaps.

There seems to be quite a range available.

Any thoughts on which to get/ avoid would be helpful.

Thanks.

Last edited:

C08

Visit site
I have some of the one linked by Stemar-not had them long but quite impressed by the strength of build. Not so good on very soft sand where bigger pneumatic tyres would be better but these would be heavier and more expensive and bulky.. The clip pins to hold the wheels on the axles are not so secure and they need proper split pins to avoid losing the wheels. Overall very impressed.

RIBW

Visit site
I've got a little Zodiac C250 as a tender, and I'm thinking of fitting some wheels

Thanks.

We inherited the large Trem (rubber tyre) type with our Avon 260. They are superb for our short trip from rack to beach, which is cobble or gritty mud depending on the tide. The wheels protect the engine!
Useful to have spare clevis pins
Cheers
Bob

VicS

Visit site
I've got a little Zodiac C250 as a tender, and I'm thinking of fitting some wheels to the transom.

Main use will be to 'wheelbarrow' it from dinghy rack to jetty and return.

First bit is roughish concrete, then the ramp is old wooden planks with variable gaps.

There seems to be quite a range available.

Thanks.

It depends how rough "roughish" is. The rougher it is the more sensible it will be to look at pneumatic tyres.

aAso consider the likely hood of taking the dinghy with you and wanting to land on beach and wheel it over sand when wider wheels will be better than slim ones.

My father found the wheels I fitted to my dinghy on the ground outside a local supermarket. They are not ideal but they were free. I dont know if they still had a trolley attached when he found them.

DSCF1080.jpg

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
The pneumatic wheels are by far the best for rough terrain, but are bulky and you need to fold them. The small plastic wheels are good for flat and smooth ground and for short distance and there is no need to fold them. I have two dinghies, an inflatable with pneumatic tyres and a hard dinghy with small plastic wheels.

simonfraser

Visit site
I have a piece of 1x1 tied under the rear, with bolts epoxied into holes at either ends
The bolts go through some hard wheels
Can easily untie them for a long row or to take home
You can get inflatable tyres which are solid, depends on the ground if that is needed

Sniper

Visit site
I've been using a pair of the 'Trem' ones for several years now and they are one of the most useful bits of kit we've got. Anyone who knows Pin Mill hard will know the sort of terrain they manage with ease. Another hidden advantage of these wheels is that the legs have a bend in them which places the wheels under the stern of the dinghy and thus the weight of the outboard is centred directly over the axle. This substantially reduces the amount of lifting to be done at the 'sharp' end. I think I paid about £60 for them and they are well worth it.

GrahamM376

Visit site
I've got some like these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DINGHY-LAUNCHING-WHEELS-INFLATABLE-RIBS-Youtube-Video-Inside-/321749613852. I didn't get them from them, but they look the same. The place I got them from is pretty underwhelming, so I wouldn't give a recommendation.

So far - 6 months - so good. Wish I'd fitted 'em years ago.

We've had some of those for 4-5 years now, the early ones which we have had plastic axles which didn't last long so I replaced with stainless. Latest ones now fitted with stainless.

Sinbad1951

Visit site
I have a pair of unused Trem drop down dinghy wheels on pneumatic tyres. They have never been fitted and come with all fittings and full instructions. I bought a pair of beachmaster wheels from NZ. Not cheap but brilliant. If anyone wants the Trem wheels they are yours for £50.

GART

Visit site
I've got some like these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DINGHY-LAUNCHING-WHEELS-INFLATABLE-RIBS-Youtube-Video-Inside-/321749613852. I didn't get them from them, but they look the same. The place I got them from is pretty underwhelming, so I wouldn't give a recommendation.

So far - 6 months - so good. Wish I'd fitted 'em years ago.

I have had them for three seasons on my 2.3m inflatable, last week the plastic axle broke, I have replaced it with a bolt, but I am looking for a better solution, the other axle has worn half way through. I believe somebody said they now make them with s/s axles.

Pavalijo

Visit site
Have a look at http://www.beachmaster.co.nz/

Delivery was fast and efficient and we'be been delighted with the product. We bought the removable version with 2 sets of mounting lugs and move the wheels between dingies as required.

No connection etc etc.....

These look really good. Do you have any concerns at all over the possibility of the mechanism rattling loose and losing one on a longer trip - I suppose that a lanyard would remove that risk though?