Any more meetings planned?

DRANNIE

Visit site
I suspect there will be a good turn out for burnham week on the Crouch during the august bank holiday. My boats a bit small for the pirate weekend (and I don't have a dinghy) but should be doing class 6 at burnham week this year along with a few other eastcoasters. (there is a thread a few pages back)

Without SWIMBO and kids to get back to, should even make it for the barbie this time.

Sixpence

Visit site
Matt, one thing to definately look forward to would be the 'laying up supper' which is now an annual event, and with luck, this year it will be at a venue like Lowestoft so that we can sail around to it, and hopefully others can sail up to it. Not sure what others think to the venue, or if others from further South are willing/able to make the trip. For me, Wells to Lowestoft would be a good days sailing, and any further South would add more days to the journey, and I'm quite keen on doing it this year on Sixpence, so fingers crossed, and over to the organiser for the final say.
Once we get to Wells though, there's nothing to say we can't organise something and make it so tempting that the others can't resist attending /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
Not yet, it's normally poor old FullCircle that organises it, and as he has done so well every time so far, and my organisational skills are rubbish (as proven by my attempt earlier this year) I'm leaving it well in his hands now /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

FullCircle

Visit site
Matt,
there's no organising Committee!!!!
If you want to put up a post saying you will be in a place at such and such a time, I am very sure some people will turn up! We have had a couple of inland meets in Cambridge and other places, so not only on the boats.

As for the other enquiries....
Well, yes. Ahem. Firstly, Yacht Clubs have Laying Up Suppers. We have Laying Down Suppers. Yacht Clubs have Fitting Out Suppers, we have Fitting Up Suppers. We have had a Gala Ball in the depths of MidWinter, but not this year, due to The Welsh Ambassador to Lincolnshire not wobbling his butt in an orderly manner. No matter, and onward.

The Laying Down Supper is usually held on a Saturday in one of the last couple of weeks in October, as most of us are still in by then. We have done it in Mersea and Bradwell, but open to suggestion of course.
I can suggest that we go to Shotley, have an afternoon stroll around the Vineyard, an evening supper in the function room at the Shipwreck, and have a bit of music and games afterward. Its central for most which is the issue.

There will also definitely be another Barbecue on the Sea Wall at Burnham Week on the first Saturday. We take over the little revetment by the Rice & Coles crane and spread ourselves up the footpath.

Also Full Circle is in Ramsgate Week, so we will be having lots of evening socials there too.

For all, just post where you will be, and let people find you.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Matt,

As Jim says, keep an eye out here.... any get togethers, either long planned or informal last minute affairs will be communicated through this veritable forum...

And feel free to suggest a place and time.... nearly always someone will make it along, and with a bit of notice, quite often a good few!

bastonjock

Visit site
i really enjoyed the weekend,it was great and even better from my perspective,my wife and daughter loved it too

One thing chaps,if you know of or hear of any reasonable priced moorings in the area can you let me know? Im going to move Glissando down there, i can put her on the hard at Levington but i really want a mooring as i really want a larger boat and untill i get my girls through University,paying 3k a year for a pontoon is too much.

After we got back to Levington,she had me mootching around a couple of boats for sale.

I need a mooring first

Laurin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i really enjoyed the weekend,it was great and even better from my perspective,my wife and daughter loved it too

One thing chaps,if you know of or hear of any reasonable priced moorings in the area can you let me know? Im going to move Glissando down there, i can put her on the hard at Levington but i really want a mooring as i really want a larger boat and untill i get my girls through University,paying 3k a year for a pontoon is too much.

After we got back to Levington,she had me mootching around a couple of boats for sale.

I need a mooring first

[/ QUOTE ]

Might be worth trying Bridgemarsh on the Crouch, we are 26' Stella and were quoted less for a pontoon berth there than a mooring 1/2 mile downriver at Burnham. Access is officially HW+/-4, but I guess you could extend that with your boat /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Very friendly marina in our experience, we'll be there from September when I expect I'll be too big for hopping on and off mooring buoys.

Sixpence

Visit site
Matt, are you comparing home to Wells, and home to Brightlingsea ?, if so, and the difference is only seven miles, we may well be changing our plans too

Auntie Helen

Visit site
Not sure about the cost of other moorings at Morgan Marine in Brightlingsea but we're paying half what we'd pay for a 34' boat at a 'normal' marina (i.e. Titchmarsh, Levington) because of being half-tide and we're on the walk-on pontoon (thus don't need water taxi), and no catamaran extra premium either (as some will charge).

bastonjock

Visit site
dave i was comparing it to ipswich from home,in total it is about 113miles from Peterborough,so is say its a round trip of 250.

we could also car share sometimes /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
we could also car share sometimes /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We could indeed /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
From here to Wells is about 60 miles, so round trip of 120, I'm thinking maybe get her around there for the rest of the season, then find somewhere like Brightlingsea for next year. Makes more sense as there are more possibilities for cruising further South.
Is that similar to your thinking ?

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Morgan Marine's Price List is called the 'Pink List' and current one expires 31 July so new one due out anytime.

Morgans phone number is 01206 302003. I was with Morgans when I first moved to B'sea but the berth I was given was not as wonderful as promised and I am now very happy to be on the Harbourmasters moorings. See post further up.

Morgans have a variety of options.
Mud berths from £1.45 / metre / week +VAT
Swinging berths £1.84 / metre / week +VAT
Trots £1.65 / metre / week +VAT
Pontoons from £1.85 / metre / week +VAT

Get them to be exact about tidal access / depth on berths as this can be a bit of a falling over point as I found out with a 4'6" fin at LWS /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Auntie Helen

Visit site
Yes, I second Flipper_K6354's comments about checking what is promised. Rick at Morgan's is always very upbeat and positive but our expected 'afloat 10 hours out of 12' actually boiled down to 'afloat 5-6 hours out of 12' which is a rather different situation. However generally we've been happy with where we are apart from the difficulties we have mooring in strong winds. We would have liked to go with Bernie the Harbourmaster but he had no space for us and Morgan's did, at a good price. Sometimes one just has to grab what's available!

Sixpence

Visit site
Thanks for that Peter, thankfully Sixpence comes complete with triple keel (stabilisers for novice boater) so able to take the ground well. Presume the harbour prices are per foot per week ?