Any interest in a new build thread?

Barbican

Visit site
Yikes that was quick!

46365266131_4e77e2fa47_h.jpg

Barbican

Visit site
Well whilst waiting for the boat to be unveiled and accessible in Dusseldorf I thought it might be of interest to give some information and insight into the sails we will be using. Our spec is geared to our planned offshore/distance cruising agenda.

To choose I spent some time talking to folk from Discovery and our chosen sailmaker that has supplied me previously, and who has an enviable reputation.

Although I had a lot of questions about cloth, crosscut/radial, battens and thread/stitching and UV strip material we eventually settled on a specification that will suit most of our usage.

The in mast furling mainsail will be Vectron (was very tempted to try Nautosphere Voyager anyone have any experience of this?) for its proven stretch resistance, simple repair and reliability. We have specified partial battens which will give us a neutral roach, avoiding the greater consequences of me breaking a full-length batten when we are somewhere inconvenient. Weathermax UV over the padded clew area, and Tenara stitching.

The self tacking jib will also be Vectron crosscut with short battens, weathermax UV strip and Tenara stitching. There will be an additional clew/sheet point on the sail to allow for a more effective shape if it needs to be reefed.

The outer genoa has a lower aspect ratio and will thus benefit from being tri-radial cut, and since this is essentially a light wind sail, we have opted for DP PR394 cloth and the same UV/stitching as before.

At some point we may well do some long downwind passages, so we will add one extra sail to cover this need. This will be a genoa designed for our inner furler, so we can pole out both inner and outer headsails it will be close to the size of the outer genoa, so not self-tacking but will reduce the need to use the main.

When the sails are in production, I will be getting some photo’s of the process so will post those here as they arrive from the sailmaker.

MrB

Visit site
Sounds good, thanks for the update. Looking forward to the Dusseldorf pics. :encouragement:

ashtead

Visit site
Interested in update re sails having had Vectron for a replacement headsail in the past but can you clarify the benefits of having short battens ? Just curious as to whether it would be worthwhile when we come to replace our self tacker. It might be based on sq m though ? So not required on smaller self trackers.

Barbican

Visit site
Interested in update re sails having had Vectron for a replacement headsail in the past but can you clarify the benefits of having short battens ? Just curious as to whether it would be worthwhile when we come to replace our self tacker. It might be based on sq m though ? So not required on smaller self trackers.

I think the idea is to allow the leach to be cut straight to obtain the largest sail area which without the battens would be prone to curl/hook. Here's a pic of our 47 just after launch and you can see the leach is straight and not hollow, you can just make out the battens. These are Norlam sails and as you can see the set of the mainsail needed some tweaking achieved with a little less mast rake, and repositioning the kicker. When you replace yours I'm sure it would be worth a chat with your loft.

45667241435_bf936ccaeb_k.jpg

ashtead

Visit site
Many thanks for comments on battens . Having just checked our self tacker is circa 38sqm so a lot smaller but the set up is along the lines of your photo. Will certainly ask Though and see what he says .

MrB

Visit site
Barbican, quick question as i'm being lazy and could find out for myself. Is she a re-named Southerly model or a new one? I think she is smaller than a 57rs but bigger than a 42rs, is she a 535? (if my memory is correct on the latter model?):confused:

Barbican

Visit site
Barbican, quick question as i'm being lazy and could find out for myself. Is she a re-named Southerly model or a new one? I think she is smaller than a 57rs but bigger than a 42rs, is she a 535? (if my memory is correct on the latter model?):confused:

Hi - - She is a Southerly 480, based on the Northshore built Southerly 47 extended aft to provide a sugar scoop/bathing platform, and with a higher coach-roof to allow for a raised navstation, and more headroom in the raised saloon area.

The Northshore built 535 has also been updated and is now called the Southerly 540 whilst the updated 420 has become the 435 the first of which launched in 2018. The 57 and 42rst (590 and 430) are in progress for similar updating treatment.

As before fixed keel versions of all models are available but are branded as Discoverys' the first fixed keel version that launched recently is a Discovery 54 which was tested in the recent edition of Sailing Today.

Last edited:

MrB

Visit site
Thanks for the reply and clarity. There was another one on the books bigger than the 57rs, do you know if they will pursue with that build??

Was it the 625?

Barbican

Visit site
Thanks for the reply and clarity. There was another one on the books bigger than the 57rs, do you know if they will pursue with that build??

Was it the 625?

Oh yes the 675, she was never built but the initial design work had been completed I think. There was little interest at the time which was pretty much at the peak of the financial crash. Shame, would have been great to have seen one.

Here yer go

https://yachtjourney.com/en/catalog/Northshore+Yachts/108058/?category=sail

Last edited:

MrB

Visit site
Oh yes the 675, she was never built but the initial design work had been completed I think. There was little interest at the time which was pretty much at the peak of the financial crash. Shame, would have been great to have seen one.

Here yer go

https://yachtjourney.com/en/catalog/Northshore+Yachts/108058/?category=sail

I tracked most of the 57's after they were built but it was the 675 I wanted to see built. Three 57's are up for sale now at a fraction of the new build price. I was told by an ex- employee on here, IIRC that five were built but I only know of three, Tal-lira, Rossetta and Tristan. I love them and cannot wait to see yours finished. :encouragement:

Barbican

Visit site
I tracked most of the 57's after they were built but it was the 675 I wanted to see built. Three 57's are up for sale now at a fraction of the new build price. I was told by an ex- employee on here, IIRC that five were built but I only know of three, Tal-lira, Rossetta and Tristan. I love them and cannot wait to see yours finished. :encouragement:

It's a shame Northshore/Southerly avoided magazine reviews of their later models, although there was one of the 47, the 420/57/535 missed out. I wonder if that contributed to the outcome....

Here's the latest review of the Discovery 54 / Southerly 540 published by an Italian magazine

https://www.boatandboats.com/magazi...LgsQpGvGwiDr5CNhVq6RwFmeI51ACCSsdnP9E_-8MJXIY

A few more like that and the brand may have become better known internationally.

Barbican

Visit site
Finally I get to see her finished! here's a couple of quick photos of the Discovery stand at Dusseldorf, and for the deck.
I will take some shots of the interior over the next few days when its not too busy

46753334772_a240cd9695_h.jpg

46753336152_7f0efcc696_h.jpg

MrB

Visit site
She's looking fantastic, I love the hull colour. Looking forward to more pics :encouragement::cool: