Any interest in a new build thread?

Barbican

Visit site
Thanks for the nice comments I'm pleased with how she has turned out it can be difficult to judge colours etc from fairly small samples.

Here are some interior shots taken today - - Much better photos than normal, because they were taken by the guy who was responsible for the interior build - - Thanks Andy!

The Aft Cabin:
32942761958_34f8aa35e3_h.jpg

The Galley
46766046812_50d9857d86_h.jpg

The saloon looking Aft
46818536531_cd552c5765_h.jpg

The saloon looking Fwd
46818542911_11a676c26f_h.jpg

The forecabin looking fwd
39853245373_ad5a964199_h.jpg

The forecabin looking aft
46818541241_26e2304b93_h.jpg

The fwd heads
46818538191_3f049fc642_h.jpg

Tomorrow I will spend a bit of time having a look at some of the other boats/chandlers etc - - This show is vast!

MrB

Visit site
I love her and your choices of fitment. I know that mast is just for show, what did you opt for?

Barbican

Visit site
Lol, I agree but i was thinking "In-mast or in-boom " furling lol.

Hi Mr B, Selden Inmast furling is standard on the 480 and we have gone with that since we were very happy with the same kit on the previous boat. The mainsail will have partial battens so we will loose a little area compared to either full length battens or a non furling sail, but that compromise has worked well for us.

dunedin

Visit site
There must be a heck of a lot of VAT about to be locked into that purchase.
Have you decided your best strategy to minimise risk of losing this value - eg purchase completion before or after 29 March, and completion in Germany (EU VAT at 19%) vs U.K.?
No need to state if private, just interested as would be a worry for me right now.

Barbican

Visit site
There must be a heck of a lot of VAT about to be locked into that purchase.
Have you decided your best strategy to minimise risk of losing this value - eg purchase completion before or after 29 March, and completion in Germany (EU VAT at 19%) vs U.K.?
No need to state if private, just interested as would be a worry for me right now.

Hi, we are just following the rules as they stand at the moment.

Barbican

Visit site
Indeed it is. We had a quick look around this morning . If only I hadn’t bought a faulty ticket for Friday’s euro millions draw I might I have been engaged in a serious discussion on the stand.

I'm pleased you liked the 480 and I hope they looked after you on the stand. I was wandering around the show on Sunday to visit some of the other boats - left it a bit late really. I think the boat was well received, Discovery seemed to do well with quite a few people asking to visit Southampton to talk more seriously about various boats in the range. From overhearing the sales guys the main interest seemed to be:

Southerly/Revelation 48
Southerly 430/435
Bluewater 50 Catamaran
Southerly/Discovery54

In my various chats I was frequently asked about the 380 as well particularly by Nordic sailors.

When I spoke to people the most common discussions on deck were about the keel system (ie Discovery 48 or Southerly 480), then the synthetic deck (Teak is standard) then inmast (Std) vs others for the mainsail. Down below the choice between raised and lowered saloon (Southerly/Discovery or Revelation 48), 2 vs 3 cabins, and Lithium vs lead batteries.

What was great for me to hear was the comments from the owner of a large repair/refit yard, who's verdict was that this was a "very well built ship - everything is done right"!

Last edited: