Any Clue's?

MaltaBob

Visit site
Any Clue\'s?

Hi All ,the boat's a Princess 360, with twin KAD42's, when I start the port engine she's very sluggish or will not start. So, starting the starboard engine, which is never a problem, allows the port engine the umph to fire. Suspect a bad earth to port engine , since they are both serviced from the same batteries.
Haven't checked anything yet, anyone got idea's on what to look for ? Thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif <span style="color:blue"> </span>

mont

Visit site
Re: Any Clue\'s?

Hi there,
Without trying to have a dig I think your perhaps starting to answer your own question surely ??
Sounds like poor connections.
Whilst your posting ... how much is Diesel in Malta out of interest ???

dalex

Visit site

If the engine doesn't turn over at all, occasionally, it's likely to be a poor connection on the thick leads from battery to starter solenoid.
There will be a common negative connection, usually with all thick, black cables coming to it. Chances are this is a bit loose and needs a gentle fettle. The extra oomph from the running engine is likely to give the other starter that much extra to get it turning.

If on the other hand, it's turning over but much slower on one engine, how can you tell? I can't hear my port engine starting when the stbd is running!
Do you have 2 battery switches? Try setting them all to 'both' and see how sprightly each engine turns over.
If possible, get a digital voltmeter reading across each battery whilst cranking over the engine and do a spot-the-difference.
Is one battery a car battery and the other a deep-cycle battery?
What sort of cranking speed difference is there between non-assisted and assisted starts? Is it better if you use jump leads from a known good battery?
Good luck sorting this. Cheers
Jeff

Stoaty

Visit site

If you check the cables and it all seems ok, swap the starter motors over and see what happens then.

tritonofnor

Visit site

Do a very close examination - I had a similar problem last year which I eventually traced to a crimped on connection. The inside of the terminal was full of verdigris, which was acting as an effective barrier. Trimmed the wire back to clean copper, and crimped on a new terminal, all's well again.

macnorton

Visit site

had the same problem with the port engine a few weeks back, found a cable getting warm! made a new one and replaced it. now it's fixed.

a freind had the same, his was a loose earth cable (also found through the heat)

I would suggest you turn the engine for 30 seconds then see if you can find any warm cables / isolator switch

MaltaBob

Visit site

Thanks for the suggestions, and the cost of /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif diesel in Malta is 0.20cents/litre (0.31pence/litre). Apparently the cheapest in the EU.