Any Chandlers want some business?

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
I'm looking to buy some safety equipment and other items to kit out our new Bordeaux 60. Boat is non-EU flagged and goods are to be invoiced to my home in Switzerland so no UK VAT is due.

I am looking for a UK based Chandler who will give me some discount and supply ex-VAT. Some of the items will be delivered by my own transport to the boat in Bordeaux in April and the rest will be delivered to an address in the SW when we arrive in the UK early May.

If you can help and have access to a wide inventory please PM me.

Thank you.

CPD

Visit site
You are putting the onus on the chandler to prove (in a VAT inspection) that the sale is effectively an export and therefore not VAT'able. The only way he can do this is to obtain from a freight forwarder a certificate of export, which will of course attract a cost which he will, of course, pass on, plus additional costs for the hassle involved, to you. I suspect that unless you are looking to purchase several £k's worth, that many will seek easier sales, and possibly this is why no-one has responded.

Having said that, I can see exactly where you are coming from and what you are trying to do - so good luck with it !!!!

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Sort of surprised that the builder can't source this kit for you - they must have supplier relationships and you'd suspect they'd be going direct to manufacturers, not via a wholesaler to the manufacturer, as a chandler would. Plus, maybe, they'd be getting some bulk discount?

prv

Visit site
You are putting the onus on the chandler to prove (in a VAT inspection) that the sale is effectively an export and therefore not VAT'able. The only way he can do this is to obtain from a freight forwarder a certificate of export, which will of course attract a cost which he will, of course, pass on, plus additional costs for the hassle involved, to you.

For what it's worth, John Lewis (and I think other upmarket high-street shops) offer exactly this service. I know this as I once accompanied my mother on one of her shopping trips on a visit to the UK when she was living in Moscow. I'm not sure exactly what the paperwork involved, but the staff seemed quite familiar with the process to let her buy stuff VAT-free for export. No extra fee for arranging it.

Pete

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
For what it's worth, John Lewis (and I think other upmarket high-street shops) offer exactly this service. I know this as I once accompanied my mother on one of her shopping trips on a visit to the UK when she was living in Moscow. I'm not sure exactly what the paperwork involved, but the staff seemed quite familiar with the process to let her buy stuff VAT-free for export. No extra fee for arranging it.

Pete

Well, that`s the shag pile carpets sorted

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
Magnum is asking for what is known as an indirect export. That's where the seller supplies the goods to a UK location on the basis that they will be exported by the purchaser who will then supply the seller with the necessary evidence that the goods were exported without being used. You have three months after the sale to get this done.

"A supply of goods to an overseas customer (see paragraph 2.4) sent to a destination outside the EC is liable to the zero rate as an indirect export where:

* overseas customer:
* exports the goods from the EC within the specified time limits (see paragraph 3.5), and
* obtains and gives you valid official or commercial evidence of export as appropriate (see paragraphs 6.2 and 6.3) within the specified time limits,

and you:

* keep supplementary evidence of export transactions (see paragraph 6.4), and
* comply with the law and the conditions of this notice,

and the goods are not used between the time of leaving your premises and export, except where specifically authorised elsewhere in this notice or any other VAT notice."

Simples. Sort of.

(We're not interested in this transaction).

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
If the boat is not registered or based in the UK why not get the goods delivered to the home port from a non-VAT state (Switzerland?)?
The vessel is registered in the Cayman Islands so not much point in having goods delivered there. Getting the goods to Switzerland will incurr a liability for Swiss VAT. Believe it or not most goods are cheaper in the UK than Europe.

Thanks for the replies and PMs. Much appreciated.

ean_p

Visit site
back into the murky world of VAT.............what makes a sea going craft Vatable in the UK. I ask as I know someone who once had a small job done and also a quote for a larger job done on a 14mtr yacht and the yard(who normally deal with 'big boats') did it all ex vat. When asked they just told him that sea going craft were vat exempt and all they wanted was the boats name.....

Stork_III

Visit site
back into the murky world of VAT.............what makes a sea going craft Vatable in the UK. I ask as I know someone who once had a small job done and also a quote for a larger job done on a 14mtr yacht and the yard(who normally deal with 'big boats') did it all ex vat. When asked they just told him that sea going craft were vat exempt and all they wanted was the boats name.....
See 2.3 of VAT Notice 744C, your friend's yacht does not qualify for VAT free, the yard probably didn't want the paperwork.

mainbrayce

www.mainbrayce.co.uk
I'm looking to buy some safety equipment and other items to kit out our new Bordeaux 60. Boat is non-EU flagged and goods are to be invoiced to my home in Switzerland so no UK VAT is due.

I am looking for a UK based Chandler who will give me some discount and supply ex-VAT. Some of the items will be delivered by my own transport to the boat in Bordeaux in April and the rest will be delivered to an address in the SW when we arrive in the UK early May.

Thank you.

Our Chandlery business is based in the Channel Island so supplying goods from any suppliers without VAT is not an issue.

We would be delighted to help and can easily send anything to Switzerland with DHL or if you are passing this way can you collect en route.

If you give us a list of what items you are interested in I will very happily give you some prices.

Sen me a pm or email more details and I will get bak to you.

GrahamM376

Visit site

Thank you.

Actually, it's the delivery address which determines whether VAT is due. Any goods sent from the UK to an EU destination are vatable unless you can provide a pukka VAT number, in which case you can get them zero rated.

There is, as someone has already mentioned, a scheme where a foreign resident can reclaim the VAT on goods going directly out of the UK to a non EC destination, under specific conditions. Do a Google on UK VAT on Export of Goods, it will take you to HM Revenue & Customs.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site

Whoever did this (if they were VAT registered) and the work was not done on a boat that was exempt probably committed an offence. There are no exemptions just based on size or boat type. There are exemptions, but they are based on the nature of the transaction, not the type of boat.

Sybarite

Visit site

Thank you.

I've been out of this for some time but the aspect of own transport for delivery of VAT free items to Bordeaux might cause some problems. For me this is a UE transaction irrespective of where the boat is registered. Better take counsel.