Antifouling

zimbo

Visit site
I had my boat anti-fouled in March this year (self-polishing, erodible). It is a GRP hull and I am moored at Hambleden Marina. I will only ever sail it on the 'freshwater' Thames.

The boat will be craned out for the winter in mid-October, so I can inspect the hull then. Of course, if it absolutely needs doing, I will do so.

But what are people's views about the frequency to re-apply antifoul? I've seen various takes on this from 'must do every year, even if it's OK, just to be sure' to 'probably every 2-3 years if you are lucky'. Thoughts...?

Momac

Visit site
I am on fresh water but not the same river .

I decided not to re-coat the antifoul when the boat was last lifted early this year . The antifoul was two years old at that point.
But I do have the boat lifted every two years and jet washed / service the outdrives.
I have noticed fouling on the outdrives this year which I would say is due to the long hot summer.

oldgit

Visit site
On the Thames/Medway non tidal ie, freshwater, from observations , its as and when needed and no sooner, even after a couple of years.
Remarkably little growth.

The growth of fouling in the salty bit has been worse this year than can remember.
Boats being hauled after only 4/5 months smothered in barnecules weed and slime, irrespective of hard/soft or coppecoat A/F.
Suspect all due to water temps and sunlight.
Down at the boat yesterday, popped hand in water, it felt postively warm compared to air temp.Fish finder gave 18C

Mark26

Visit site
I’m on the Thames and have just antifowled mine after three years.

The only place any organisms (muscles) had attached themselves was inside standpipes where there was no antifowling.

The Thames is a low fowling area, it being cold freshwater, compared to say the Med, much warmer with a lot more sunlight encouraging marine growth.

The antifowling itself was very worn away particularly in areas of high turbulence I.e. above the prop. I’m not entirely sure which type of antifowling was used before, but if you touched it or tried to clean the sides of the boat it would come off. I’ve now used Tiger Extra which dried to a rubbery feel and doesn’t come off so easily.

I did post some pictures of mine after it came out in the post titled Paint Job, if you want to see.

Chris_d

Visit site
We just repaint the 6-8 inches around the waterline to keep it looking smart, it's usually only a layer of slime to pressure wash off underneath, no need to repaint unless we are planning a saltwater trip.