Anti-foul on sunglasses

twinkeel

Visit site
Having anti-fouled the boat on a nice sunny day I now have a pair of sunglasses with a red speckled appearance.

SWMBO has already questioned my judgment when trying and failing to remove same with water - she may have a point !!

So, what can I use that will not melt my sunglasses ??

The anti-foul in question is Hempel Tiger Extra

D

Deleted member 36384

Warm soapy water and gentle rubbing with a cotton cloth.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
There are a couple of upsides ...

Firstly, you don't have red speckled eyeballs

and ...

at least you won't get weeds or barnacles on your sunglasses!

(Sorry, can't help with the cleaning question other than trying thinners and hoping the lenses don't melt ... which they quite probably will)

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Having anti-fouled the boat on a nice sunny day I now have a pair of sunglasses with a red speckled appearance.

SWMBO has already questioned my judgement when trying and failing to remove same with water - she may have a point !!

So, what can I use that will not melt my sunglasses ??

The anti-foul in question is Hempel Tiger Extra

I've done the same with my prescription plastic lens spectacles. I used white spirit to remove the A/F. I did check on a corner before using it on the whole lens.

Worth a try in preference to using other stronger thinners etc.

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com

SWMBO should be happy you had the sense to wear some glasses and the anti foul did not go in your eyes, internet connections are not always available in Hospital !and apart from that you would not be able to see a screen.

Had to take a guy from the marina years ago to the local hospital who got a splash of antifoul in his eye, it took three month to get his vision totaly back to normal!

PS; Agree with above about cleaning your glasses, use thinners, also you will find some spots can be just scratched off with your nails.

Mike

mcanderson

Visit site
Swap?

If you get bored with red speckles I can offer a swap for some with blue speckles. Cruiser Uno dots, so I'm not sure how they will fare in you area. Fine here in Edinburgh.

boguing

Visit site
pick each spot off with a fingernail, I wear glasses all the time and have no bother just picking off the worst the rest will wash off with soapy water. good luck
Mike

Quite right. The fingernail is a unique tool, not too hard, not too soft. A friend and I have theorised that ground finger nails in detergent would be the ultimate hand cleaner. Then I discovered latex gloves, no need for further development!

Plevier

Visit site
Methylated spirit is surprisingly good at getting most sorts of paint off plastic specs lenses. Seems to creep under and float them off. May not be so good on uncoated sunglass lenses.
Safe to use - it was a tip from my optician.

alan_d

Visit site
Another vote for the fingernail - great for removing antifoul from glasses but wouldn't shift the Primocon. Now I have a dedicated pair of bottom-painting glasses (with Primocon spots).

Last edited:

Nigel_Ward

Visit site
pick each spot off with a fingernail, I wear glasses all the time and have no bother just picking off the worst the rest will wash off with soapy water. good luck
Mike

As a glasses wearer, I agree with this method.

I would avoid any solvents if at all possible as you often do not notice the damage it has done to the plastic till it is too late!

twinkeel

Visit site
The finger-nail method works !!!

Thanks for all the input

Now, how do I get tiny specks of red anti-foul off the sofa before SWMBO notices ?

:)

tidclacy

Visit site
Try WD 40. Got tar on my hair once dressing the rigging for a barge. Transferred it to chair in sitting room. Terrible trouble from wife. Looked it up on the net and WD 40 was the answer, came away like magic.