Anthropomorphic Sea Horse Spin

Visit site
Wow, just re-read that - it's quite a different article now :rolleyes:

I'm very pleased by the comments from the MMO. Credit to the Beeb for responding and correcting the article so quickly - perhaps they will note that the contention itself makes the whole thing more newsworthy.

And maybe we do have some influence after all...

Will they be re running that Countryfile program?It is the masses that we need to win over & they will have already got the message.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Will they be re running that Countryfile program?It is the masses that we need to win over & they will have already got the message.

I agree with you on that, In my complaint to the BBC on both programs request that a balanced statement should be made, as I'm sure others did. It will be interesting to see what, if anything is said on the next Countryfile program.

As I have already said, it is good that the BBC have listened and done a little more research than they had done originally. The problem with someone who can spin like NGM is that if he can get the ear of organisations like the BBC and without anything to challenge what he says, then he can get away with it, what ever he says.

As MC says, we should challenge everything that SHT has published with true facts, to counter the spin.

Robin

Visit site
It's lazy journalism, they just pass on the handouts and assume all is as stated. I also mentioned the Countryfile programme in my complaint as well as The One Show. Interesting that the website report was changed yet there has been no response to the complaints (to me at least) by e-mail which they are supposed to do.

jac

Visit site
Also no reply - It does say 10 working days for response though so still over a week for me.

However they do publish how to appeal http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/handle.shtml#code

so would be worth staiying close.

Would also suggest that those of us living in the BBS South area keep on eye on the local news as well.

However - if the BBC are simply relying on press releases which sounds likely it does make you wonder why the SBPA aren't flooding BBC / ITV /local media with press releases along the line of "Local campaigners condemn calls to ban the public from popular Dorset location."

zarathustra

Visit site
The BBC are making this into a campaign with very one sided and even inaccurate reporting.

that is exactly their intention, the BBC has little more than a propaganda tool for a long time now, they will be quite pleased about their reporting of Sea-horses saga. This sea-horse nonsense is obviously being used to further some other agenda which will become clearer as time goes on, whatever the real purpose it will have the result of costing tax-payers ever more of their hard-earned cash.

Danny Jo

Visit site
I think the current version on the BBC site hits the spot, especially since they quote verbatim statements by a spokesperson for the Sea Horse Trust, including this one:

"It does not mean they are thriving, quite the reverse, they appear to be hanging on in there against the odds of hundreds of boats dropping anchors and mooring chains ripping up the seabed, destroying their fragile home."

Will any intelligent person see that as anything other than the epitome of the partial view, the mind closed to reason, and the antithesis of science?

emsworthy

Visit site
I think the current version on the BBC site hits the spot, especially since they quote verbatim statements by a spokesperson for the Sea Horse Trust, including this one:

"It does not mean they are thriving, quite the reverse, they appear to be hanging on in there against the odds of hundreds of boats dropping anchors and mooring chains ripping up the seabed, destroying their fragile home."

Will any intelligent person see that as anything other than the epitome of the partial view, the mind closed to reason, and the antithesis of science?

Unfortunately Danny I don't think they will! We now live in a world of sound bites and fast-food style media and hence the majority of (even half intelligent people) take the media as gospel unless they have a personal reason to investigate further. It's sad but IMHO that's just the world we're living in.

The average punter will read what he/she reads, park the thought without further consideration, and think nothing more about it until someone asks; "what do you know about seahorses in Studland Bay?" To which they'll reply, "well, appparently their habitat is being destroyed by those nasty rich city types in their posh yots isn't it? The Government should do something to stop them."

Sad but true!

D

DogWatch

Has anyone tried contacting the bbc or other media outlet to put the points of the other users of the bay?

Or do we just complain about a bizarre conspiracy on YBW scutts?

How do people expect the bbc to put a fair assessment of the situation when they are ONLY hearing one side of the story?

Who lives that way? Who has contacts through the RYA or Aunty..

I know of at of least two bbc employees who post regularly on here.

platypus

Visit site
Marine Biologists

Where are the marine biologists? We have television presenters, self-promoters, window cleaners, tree huggers and general scammers but no Marine Biologists. These are not that rare in most significantly important habitats - except Studland. They can usually be identified as they know what they are talking about and have PhD after their name.

ARCO7

Visit site
Local Studland Intelligence

Have had a grey but peaceful afternoon anchored in the Bay of Studland . Seastar have been in the VNAZ with their big steel survey boat for most of the day. At one point they had a diver down and were fixing a new Yellow Pillar Buoy in place on the NE corner . They then spent an hour sweeping up and down across the area probably taking soundings and side scan sonar sweeps.
5 boats anchored in the bay , very peaceful and no Seahorse Divers around .
Don't forget the VNAZ is known locally as the "Idiot Zone" if you decide to anchor there .

jac

Visit site
I tried to raise it

Has anyone tried contacting the bbc or other media outlet to put the points of the other users of the bay?

Or do we just complain about a bizarre conspiracy on YBW scutts?

How do people expect the bbc to put a fair assessment of the situation when they are ONLY hearing one side of the story?

Who lives that way? Who has contacts through the RYA or Aunty..

I know of at of least two bbc employees who post regularly on here.

I emailed the local BBC South - suggest a story. Gave some background - suggested an angle - plucky locals in studland wanting to preserve there local bay against outsiders wanting to change it. Suggested at some of the dodgy tactics being used.

Not even the courtesy of a reply!

We really need someone who can do PR to get involved. Even Alastair Campbell type PR would work - SHT have told enough lies to the media yet no-one questions there real motivation in the media. Maybe there is some connection between their position and the fact that divers are paying SHT £10 per head for a tour of the bay with a SHT diver - SBPA site confirms this.

Morven

Visit site
Anyone done any research as to how sonar impinges on seahorse? I know any aquarium I visti forbids flash photos as they dammage the eyes. I also hear that sonar can harm sea creatures, as well as tags fouling them in in seaweed. (Previous quoted ).:eek:

Last edited:

FB122

Visit site
Crepe de la mer Cheval

I'm glad to be an ex-pat having read that 40,000 British coppers are going in the latest round of spending cuts.
The conservation projects seem safe enough though ,Natural England and Finding Sanctuary appear untouchable ,you don't need law and order ,just protect the seahorses and seagrass !
YOUR STREETS YOUR VOICE ... perhaps they ought to have a poll on that .:confused: