Anthropomorphic Sea Horse Spin

ARCO7

Visit site
Truly Amazed

I am amazed too
"Europe's Most Important Breeding Site"and "1000 divers" surveying it .

I must try to remember there's only been 3 tagged this year or has that number suddenly shot up.

They did'nt have Media Studies O Level when I was at school , but I'm learning a great deal about the BBC's ways ...I have also stumbled across a site called BIAS BBC which is very good reading .
They don't appear to have hit upon the SEAHORSE TALE yet ;)

Visit site
I'll bang in a complaint too but just heard a report on Julian Cleggs BBC radio program about a lovely cuddly seahorse being born in that almost unique environment Studland Bay.
Are we fighting each other just ratcheting up the consequences?
It's a sad day for seahorses Studland Bay & Nature in general all the publicity this issue is getting........but then Steve Trewella was warned.What a self seeking bunch of f*cking idiots.

A

Alcyone

I'll bang in a complaint too but just heard a report on Julian Cleggs BBC radio program about a lovely cuddly seahorse being born in that almost unique environment Studland Bay.
Are we fighting each other just ratcheting up the consequences?
It's a sad day for seahorses Studland Bay & Nature in general all the publicity this issue is getting........but then Steve Trewella was warned.What a self seeking bunch of f*cking idiots.

The problem is, once you start calling them names like that, you just serve to reinforce the statements such as the one about 'a few uncaring boat users' referred to in that article.

FB122

Visit site
Tous les samedis

Looks as though every Saturday some of these 1000 divers go to Studland .
Thats judging from the dates on the Seahorse Trust Website and not from experience.
It must be like a scene out of Allo Allo in Studland , with all these grey and black wetsuited up seahorse troops matching up and down to the South Beach from the Banks Arms car park !
Rene, wearing a white apron, is obviously the landlord of the pub, with all the locals (resistance) wearing berets and sat outside watching these unwelcome invaders march past with their air bottles and camera's.
" You vill do as vee want Mine Studlanders ! " "Or we vill shoot another film of das boots on zee moorings at dawn ! "
I don't see why the BBC carries on with this Seahorse story when other British TV channels have not taken it up ?
It seems the BBC and SHT are working hand in hand with this constant bombardment of Studland and the Bateaux people , Why ?
I'm glad I don't have to pay my licence fee over here , but I expect they'll catch up with us ex pats soon and scrap our Sat Dishes .
Its a sad day when these people can broadcast this rubbish about
being the most important seahorse breeding site in Europe , clearly by the few that have been tagged or sighted in Studlands waters it is not.
I watch France24 news now its far more grown up .:p

ARCO7

Visit site
Updated BBC News article

I must say I am amazed ! lol
Check the link again to the original news story and its been altered quite dramatically .
The reference to illegal moorings has been removed as have the 1000 divers , the MMO have been allowed to voice their thoughts on the matter and I sure the BBC have learnt a lesson here or two about our friend with the double-barrelled name .
Has anyone printed or saved the original report? , it might be worth posting on here so scuttlebutters can see the difference .

A

Alcyone

Still mentions 000s of divers:

"After all the hard work of the thousands of volunteer divers who gathered the data to get them protected it is frustrating that the law is not being implemented on the UK's most important breeding site for the spiny seahorse," the spokesperson continued."

Presumably, since this article (which mentions the first ever sighting of a baby seahorse born at the site) was published this morning, the award of the UK's most important Seahorse breeding site was made this afternoon?

Oh.

The article already mentions it.

How queer.

A

Alcyone

The eelgrass bleaching reported here:

http://www.theseahorsetrust.org/news.aspx

Is also a cause for concern. IIRC, ths is likely caused by anoxic conditions. Wasn't there a sewage spill there recently? If not, must be the yotties emptying their loos...........

:rolleyes:

elton

www.boatit.co.uk
I'm thinking of releasing a few hundred Sea Monkeys into the bay to give the Beeb a proper story.

seaeyes.jpg

ARCO7

Visit site
1000 divers and only 5 Seahorses ?

Still mentions 000s of divers:

"After all the hard work of the thousands of volunteer divers who gathered the data to get them protected it is frustrating that the law is not being implemented on the UK's most important breeding site for the spiny seahorse," the spokesperson continued."

Presumably, since this article (which mentions the first ever sighting of a baby seahorse born at the site) was published this morning, the award of the UK's most important Seahorse breeding site was made this afternoon?

Oh.

The article already mentions it.

How queer.

Oppps ! Yes you're right Aclyone ,I missed that bit they still mention the 1000 divers in the edited version .
I was under the impression that when you have a tent on your lawn for a week or so, the grass underneath is bleached like the white seagrass in the SHT's photo/ article.
Thus if the bay has been engulfed with a huge layer of this thick Green hair Algae ,it would have the same affect on the poor old seagrass.
I think the SHT have said this on the Studland Bay PA blog , one of the more sensible paragraphs .
I chuckled at FB122 's vision of Allo allo in Studland , that is good perhaps thats not far from the truth knowing some of the locals there .
I can imagine whats muttered under their breath when the Rubber Invasion Force walk by !:)

A

Alcyone

Oppps ! Yes you're right Aclyone ,I missed that bit they still mention the 1000 divers in the edited version .
I was under the impression that when you have a tent on your lawn for a week or so, the grass underneath is bleached like the white seagrass in the SHT's photo/ article.
Thus if the bay has been engulfed with a huge layer of this thick Green hair Algae ,it would have the same affect on the poor old seagrass.
I think the SHT have said this on the Studland Bay PA blog , one of the more sensible paragraphs .
I chuckled at FB122 's vision of Allo allo in Studland , that is good perhaps thats not far from the truth knowing some of the locals there .
I can imagine whats muttered under their breath when the Rubber Invasion Force walk by !:)

I think it highlights the problem with this whole issue. The bay is a complex ecosystem, and anyone who suggests they know exactly how and what is happening to all of the animals and plants that make that up is, I suspect, deluded. The samples taken are too small, over too short a timescale, without proper controls, or comparisons with similar sites elsewhere.

This, in my humble opinion, applies to those who say that boat use is definitely damaging the bay and it's sea life, as well as those who say boat use is definitely not damaging the bay and it's sea life.

It is turning into a first class spat, though, and that's very entertaining. :D

Visit site
The problem is, once you start calling them names like that, you just serve to reinforce the statements such as the one about 'a few uncaring boat users' referred to in that article.

I no longer care what they think Alcyone.Appeasement dos'nt seem appropriate.
It's probably just a good job that I'm not planning to sail to Studland Bay any time soon!

A

Alcyone

I no longer care what they think Alcyone.Appeasement dos'nt seem appropriate.
It's probably just a good job that I'm not planning to sail to Studland Bay any time soon!

I didn't mention anything about appeasement. There are many, many ways to win an argument, I just feel, personally, that abuse and calling people names tends to weaken one's case, rather than strengthening it.

Seemes to me the boating community is being painted fairly black in this argument, uncaring boat owners tearing up the sea bed and killing the cuddly sea horses, driving over the top of the research divers and hurling abuse.

If we all start name calling here, it plays into their hands. They must be rubbing their hands and giggling when they read some of these threads.

Saguday

Visit site
Wow, just re-read that - it's quite a different article now :rolleyes:

I'm very pleased by the comments from the MMO. Credit to the Beeb for responding and correcting the article so quickly - perhaps they will note that the contention itself makes the whole thing more newsworthy.

And maybe we do have some influence after all...

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Wow! Looks like our complaints have been addressed. Its very different, still got the spin from SHT but the comments by MMO put some balance on it. In view of this I suspect an ill informed or naive BBC reporter was 'taken in' by the original legitimate sounding spin of NGM.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
It's one small victory, but an important one. We should collectively complain at every one sided biased news report that follows an SHT press release.

Visit site
I didn't mention anything about appeasement. There are many, many ways to win an argument, I just feel, personally, that abuse and calling people names tends to weaken one's case, rather than strengthening it.

Seemes to me the boating community is being painted fairly black in this argument, uncaring boat owners tearing up the sea bed and killing the cuddly sea horses, driving over the top of the research divers and hurling abuse.

If we all start name calling here, it plays into their hands. They must be rubbing their hands and giggling when they read some of these threads.

It was a personal remark to the people here & I stand by it.NGM thinks that any counter arguments are "abuse" & I for one am certainly not going to enter that world of ga ga.It is the media we need to convince & we certainly won't win by pandering to such a fruit cake.(trying to think of the politically correct term for fruit cake):)