Antares 760 - early days

Racecruiser

Visit site
I've been sail orientated most of my boating years but have taken the plunge and now am a proud owner of a 2006 Antares 760 with a Nanni 4.390 200hp diesel.
Plymouth to Gosport Friday to Sunday with stays in Brixham and Portland and all went well. Fairly pleased with the performance and fuel consumption at 13-16 knots GPS (except harbours, scenic bits and bumpy bits) tide assisted virtually all the time.
Total 10hrs motoring using c160 litres = c16 litres per hour. Edit: omitted the hours Plymouth - Brixham so total hours was 15 using c160 litres = 10.7 litres per hour which seems very good!
Would welcome any other owners comments on the boat generally.
First job, get the loo pumping in as only pump out working all trip!

Last edited:

paradave

Visit site
That’s a great first trip! Clearly a decent boat if it’s made that without any issues. I’ve got an MF805 with a VP inboard, so similar boats. Agree on the fuel figures.

Re the toilet - assuming it’s the normal Jabsco one (and your seacock is open on the inlet!!) then if you take the upper pump apart you may find limescale or one of the little weights has fallen off. Jabsco sell service kits for the toilets if it can’t be repaired. Good luck.

Racecruiser

Visit site
That’s a great first trip! Clearly a decent boat if it’s made that without any issues. I’ve got an MF805 with a VP inboard, so similar boats. Agree on the fuel figures.

Re the toilet - assuming it’s the normal Jabsco one (and your seacock is open on the inlet!!) then if you take the upper pump apart you may find limescale or one of the little weights has fallen off. Jabsco sell service kits for the toilets if it can’t be repaired. Good luck.
Thanks Paradave, I've edited the consumption above and it's better than I thought. Tide assisted counts for a lot I guess....

paradave

Visit site
Somewhere between £10 and £15 an hour is what I get, depending on average speed.
It makes boating very economical as you’ve seen!

Plum

Visit site
I've been sail orientated most of my boating years but have taken the plunge and now am a proud owner of a 2006 Antares 760 with a Nanni 4.390 200hp diesel.
Plymouth to Gosport Friday to Sunday with stays in Brixham and Portland and all went well. Fairly pleased with the performance and fuel consumption at 13-16 knots GPS (except harbours, scenic bits and bumpy bits) tide assisted virtually all the time.
Total 10hrs motoring using c160 litres = c16 litres per hour. Edit: omitted the hours Plymouth - Brixham so total hours was 15 using c160 litres = 10.7 litres per hour which seems very good!
Would welcome any other owners comments on the boat generally.
First job, get the loo pumping in as only pump out working all trip!
I have the VP 200hp engine and my average fuel consumption over the last 6 years is 11 litres per hour and on a long trip at 13knots it is 16.5 litres per hour so for planning purposes, ensuring only 2/3rds of the tank is used, my range is 100nm.

Do ensure the diesel filler cap has a perfect O ring seal as any water that runs down the sidededeck pours straight onto/over the filler cap. (Same applies to the freshwater filler cap but does not risk the engine stopping)

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Racecruiser

Visit site
I have the VP 200hp engine and my average fuel consumption over the last 6 years is 11 litres per hour and on a long trip at 13knots it is 16.5 litres per hour so for planning purposes, ensuring only 2/3rds of the tank is used, my range is 100nm.

Do ensure the diesel filler cap has a perfect O ring seal as any water that runs down the sidededeck pours straight onto/over the filler cap. (Same applies to the freshwater filler cap but does not risk the engine stopping)

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
Hi Plum sounds like similar consumption which seems pretty good to me. Thanks for the tip on the fillers, I wiped some stuff off the threads and think they are ok but I'll recheck!

Last edited:

Pleinmont

Visit site
Welcome to the club :) Great boats for a variety of uses, easy to handle solo and economical as you've found.

I have the VP TAMD41 engine in my 760 (2005), based on a couple of straight trips Guernsey / Jersey I always banked on about 20litres an hour at 16knts which I thought was perfectly reasonable.
Not got a fuel meter so just based on leaving with a full tank then topping back up on arrival vs the distance on the chart (my actual distance travelled may differ I guess).
Either way I don't find I have to fill up very often despite a lot of time spent out on the sea.

Enjoy the new purchase.

Racecruiser

Visit site
I don't have a fuel meter and my calculation was on the basis of topping up too. I hope to take her over the channel and have always loved St Vaast so that may be my first destination although I don't expect it will be this year.
Til then Solent and a bit further I think!

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Congrats, there are a few of us about. Mine’s got the VP TAMD41P, last year 826l/62 hours for 13.3lph. This year so far 12lph, most of the time cruising at 3000rpm which is around 16kn. Great boats in a head sea, not quite so happy with the sea on the stern. My first project was to sort out the rat’s nest in the electrics box ? Now got a 12 fuse +/- busbar box in there for the toys to run off with power straight from the house battery via a dedicated switch. Much happier ?

Pleinmont

Visit site
I know what you mean, my 760's wiring needs a good tidying up under the console - it's all safe so more a case of out of sight out of mind!

freddyuk

Visit site
Looking at the figure I am certain my Nanni 4.390 is not performing as it should. I would like a cruising speed of 16kts at 3000 rpm but on it's first test run after hours of work on the engine I managed WOT 3200 rpm which is well below maximum spec of 3600 and the speed was 14kts flat out. No idea where I go from here but cruising at 8kts is not really effective as we are not planing at that speed. My smoke and steam issues have been cured possibly by having injectors refurbished but speed eludes me still.

freddyuk

Visit site
Hi Jamie,
I am fairly certain my prop is as original so should be correct but can check soon when it goes back for lift out and seacock resealing job. The turbo is an unknown but I did consider fitting a simple boost gauge but not sure where to connect. Do I have to drill and tap a hole for this do you know?

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Do I have to drill and tap a hole for this do you know?

No idea to be honest, mine (VP) had just had a new turbo when I bought it so never had to mess with it. 3200rpm gives me 18+kn so something odd going on. When you get it lifted ask the crane driver to check the weight, mine was about 3.7t fully loaded.

If the turbo was really defective you’d expect a lot of black smoke at wot.

Last edited:

freddyuk

Visit site
We did have black smoke and no power but engineer serviced injectors and said one was not seated correctly?? Since we cleaned out cooling and replaced everything we could think of the smoking was back to normal ie. a bit of blue on start up / idling. I have had this lack of power problem since I collected it per other posts. I am not sure how to test a turbo in situ. They are not that expensive to have reconditioned but dont want to throw more money at it until I have a clue where the problem is. Weight wise we are not overloaded but I will check that.

jamie langstone

Visit site
We did have black smoke and no power but engineer serviced injectors and said one was not seated correctly?? Since we cleaned out cooling and replaced everything we could think of the smoking was back to normal ie. a bit of blue on start up / idling. I have had this lack of power problem since I collected it per other posts. I am not sure how to test a turbo in situ. They are not that expensive to have

reconditioned but dont want to throw more money at it until I have a clue where the problem is. Weight wise we are not overloaded but I will check that.

Have you checked the waist gate is not seized open as I had this on my Nanni 4.90tdi which gave lack of boost .

Jim@sea

Visit site
Going back to 1976 when 3 gallons of petrol was £1. With a 26ft cabin cruiser with twin 140 Volvo Petrol Engines I used 50 gallons of petrol going from Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire (in 3 hours) and 50 gallons back. I realised that Diesel was the way to go as at that time Red Diesel was 3p a litre.
So every boat I have had ever since has been diesel.
How much is Red Diesel now ?