Another "where to winter/liveaboard in the Med" thread

Star-Lord

Visit site
Gibraltar should be top of your list.
There are some decent beaches on the East side of Gib.
We are there now,
Gib is no where as British as it was when we were last here 7 years ago.
More to the pity, Now days many local restaurants display menus only in Spanish, can’t even be bothered displaying an English menu and staff who only speak Spanish.
But best of all Gib has still not joined the EU Schengen milarkey so no 90 day problems, so if you overwinter in Gib you have your full 90 days to use sailing in the Med from day 1.
I heard getting a berth there was impossible?

blampied

Visit site
I heard getting a berth there was impossible?
Like almost all marinas in the Med, you will be told there is big waiting lists, if you phone up wanting a long term berth almost all will say no we have big waiting list, maybe Gibs are bigger, maybe not?
Like you I was told there was huge waiting lists. I bought my current boat at one marina in Gib in February, asked if I could keep it in that marina for two or three months to make it sea worthy ready to motor it back to Jersey in the spring. There was no hesitation in them saying yes.
Within a month we‘d decided that marina while very nice was just too quiet and started asking around at the other independent main marina to stay while we finished the renovations. mentioned I liked their marina so much I be happy to stay longer and before I’d left the marina office we’d been offered a years contract berth. (being a motorboat helped, height restrictions near the airport runway mean more space for motorboats, sail boat masts need to be kept further back) We’re now staying in Gib for a year, maybe longer, Love the place.

I’m not saying this is how to approach Gib, but it applies to almost any marina.
I’ve always found, turn up with your boat rather than phone, and book in for a few days, (also gives you the chance to see if you like where you are)
extend the few days to a week, be jolly, try to make your face fit, be a friendly non complaining punter, then start asking about longer term possibly

Visit site
Took me a moment to work out where you meant. :)
I think Gibraltar doesn't really fit the beach thing tbh, trying to strike a balance.

Plus, and I am making huge assumptions here, i'm happy to escape British culture for a bit (and one assumes Gib still carries that?)
There are not long term berths available in Gib without random good fortune, or via a waiting list.

taikohax

Visit site
Just as an update. I went with Port Ginesta near Barcelona in the end.
There appears to be some complexity in terms of living aboard and obtaining an Italian Visa which i'm -hoping- is not the case for Ginesta and a Spanish one.
Just going through the hoops now and will move boat next month

Ant

st599

Visit site
Gibraltar should be top of your list.
There are some decent beaches on the East side of Gib.
We are there now,
Gib is no where near as British as it was when we were last here 7 years ago.
More to the pity, Now days many local restaurants display menus only in Spanish, can’t even be bothered displaying an English menu and staff who only speak Spanish.
Close airport? How close do you need, from my berth in the marina it takes 17 minutes to walk to the check in desk.
But best of all Gib has still not joined the EU Schengen milarkey so no 90 day problems, so if you overwinter in Gib you have your full 90 days to use sailing in the Med from day 1.
Gibraltar poised to be part of the EU’s borderless Schengen area by end of the year