Another easy one

Geordiedreamer

Visit site
Might seem silly but found two pieces of webbing under one of the seat lockers, found out they are jackstays. What the B****Y Hell are they used for ???
Did a search but didn't tell me what they were.
Beginners eh !!

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
you fix them to strong points fore and aft so they lie along the side decks, then you clip your harness to them when going on deck. designed to stop you being left behind when you fall overboard.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
Check them carefully, particularly the stitching, if they look fairly new you will probably be OK. Remove them after use and stow below and they should last a long time. Usually fitted with 8 or 10mm diameter shackles at each end or shackle at one end and a lanyard at the other. Should not be loose but just taught enough to lie flat on the deck.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Ancient_Mariner

Visit site
How often should one replace the jackstays? My boat kept here in the UK (Hamble), so UV not as bad as Med. My current set are 18months old.

Larry

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
I have just replaced mine - not sure about the age but I suspect at least 10 years old. They appear to have been made from a tubular type of webbing with a fairly loose weave. Anyway, I've replaced them with nice red ones from Jimmy Green, but with a snap shackle on each end. This way I just snap them on before going to sea and remove them afterwards. Made a mistake in measuring them so had to send them back for shortening...
I expect them to last for several years with some TLC.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Geordiedreamer

Visit site
Thanks guys, actually they look quite new and there are a couple of shackles on deck which I didn't know what they were for. All slipping nicely into place now.
Until the next easy question for ya all.
Cheers
Kev

<hr width=100% size=1>

richardm

Visit site
Unless your snap shackle has a threaded gate to lock it, throw them away and tie them (the jackstays) to your anchor points with Spectra line or something similar

<hr width=100% size=1>